Switched fuse for dash cam in 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switched fuse for dash cam in 2016 Explorer

eastbayarea

Reaction score
City, State
CA bay area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer
Can't seem to find a switched (turns off when ignition is off) fuse to tap into with an add-a-fuse for my 5 amp dash cam. Have a 2016 Explorer (I know they redid the entire electrical system for this model year) and it seems every viable fuse we tap into on the interior fuse box stays powered on after the car is turned off. Anyone have any ideas (owner's manual is no help beyond identifying fuse number/size and core role) or suggestions? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pick something that you know shuts off. Wipers, Windows, radio, hvac. You can put a 5amp item on a 10 amp fuse, just don't want to put a 10 amp item on a 5 amp fuse. My dash cam is on two 10 amps with no problem on 3 different vehicles.

Are you using a test light clipped to ground for testing?

In my Taurus, I had good luck with some unused/spare locations (as listed in the manual) in the BCM. Found one that was hot in RUN but dead in accessory and off positions.

If you do find one, post back. I'm going to hit this exact problem in my 17 Explorer when it arrives on order...

Pick something that you know shuts off. Wipers, Windows, radio, hvac. You can put a 5amp item on a 10 amp fuse, just don't want to put a 10 amp item on a 5 amp fuse. My dash cam is on two 10 amps with no problem on 3 different vehicles.

Ummm, that was the point of my post. With the electronics in the 2016, things stay on (e.g, radio) for up to an hour after the car is off (and NOT in accessories mode). The manual doesn't go into great detail on what each fuse does, only a major description (e.g., 10 channel amplifier).

Finding a switched fuse without tools (didn't think this would be such an issue) on a 2016 Platinum is proving to be quite frustrating.

There are a number of "unused" fuses, wondering if it's okay to tap into them as well.

You can tap into your rear view mirror power plug with a device like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Radar-Mount-M...2719569&sr=8-1&keywords=mirror+tap+power+cord

I have used these on several different vehicles from my wife's 2008 Pontiac Vibe and 2016 Lincoln MKC to our 2003 Excursion and my 2015 Explorer Sport. Just find the proper power output end and you're done. Works perfectly and powers off with the vehicle.

http://www.amazon.com/Radar-Mount-M...2719569&sr=8-1&keywords=mirror+tap+power+cord

I have used these on several different vehicles from my wife's 2008 Pontiac Vibe and 2016 Lincoln MKC to our 2003 Excursion and my 2015 Explorer Sport. Just find the proper power output end and you're done. Works perfectly and powers off with the vehicle.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'll be using a hardwire kit to tap into the fuses. Don't plan on messing with the mirror housing (lots of plastic parts covering all the sensors on this thing). I'm 80% there, just need to identify a switched fuse to tap into.

There are a number of "unused" fuses, wondering if it's okay to tap into them as well.

Did this on my current ride without issues. I would bet good money that one of them is switched, but you definitely need to invest in a test light.

Problem solved. I'll make a video of what I ended up doing. Of the 29 fuses inside a 2016 Platinum Explorer, only 3 of them are switched.

+1 for this. It requires ZERO modification or disassembly of OEM parts. Just slide the provided pins in alongside the existing switched 12VDC. You may have to add a 12V-to-5V buck inline regardless of which way you do it.

Problem solved. I'll make a video of what I ended up doing. Of the 29 fuses inside a 2016 Platinum Explorer, only 3 of them are switched.

+1 for tap-a-fuse also. I've used them for radar, dash cam, bluetooth, and radios before. I would be interested in knowing which fuse you tapped. But running extra cable is a pain. Thats why I prefer tapping the 12VDC thats already there.

Fuse numbers?

Ummm, that was the point of my post. With the electronics in the 2016, things stay on (e.g, radio) for up to an hour after the car is off (and NOT in accessories mode). The manual doesn't go into great detail on what each fuse does, only a major description (e.g., 10 channel amplifier).

Finding a switched fuse without tools (didn't think this would be such an issue) on a 2016 Platinum is proving to be quite frustrating.

Even with the doors open the winow switches operate? I know everything stays active once you shut the car off but opening the door I thought killed the things I mentioned.

Even with the doors open the winow switches operate? I know everything stays active once you shut the car off but opening the door I thought killed the things I mentioned.

Radio can be turned back on and 12v outlet stays on even after the door is opened, closed and locked.

Radio can be turned back on and 12v outlet stays on even after the door is opened, closed and locked.

I understand the radio etc.. I mentioned window switches and wipers. Once the door opens, those should be disabled.

Can you show us how you connect to ground?

I add a fuse for my 2011 explorer on one of the fuse. It starts when I start the car stops when I turn off the car.

The problem is that once installed my power door no longer works, Unless I sit inside the car, am feeling maybe the ground I connect to is not good.

Now I have to manually plug into cigar lighter socket, but power door works fine

Same question here but for 2013 limited.

Someone, somewhere has the fuse numbers, give it up! lol
Sorry I don't have it with me. If you check the manual , it is one of the unused fuse, somewhere in the middle. So it is safe to use and not affecting any existing features

Thanks for the link Peter but I'm just looking for something simple by running camera wires over and down the trim to a switchable fuse.

Wife left camera running all night again, just want one less thing for her to think about and to have it on if ever needed.

I've hardly had a chance to drive it, need to make time to start probing fuses...

Navman,
The mirror is switched with the ignition. It will shut off the power to the dash cam when the power is removed from the mirror. I have mine wired this way, my wife's '16 MKC and the '08 Pontiac Vibe we dingy tow behind the motorhome. They all work exactly the same, the dash cam turns off with the ignition. Simplest way I know and much easier than going down the A pillar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Navman,
The mirror is switched with the ignition. It will shut off the power to the dash cam when the power is removed from the mirror. I have mine wired this way, my wife's '16 MKC and the '08 Pontiac Vibe we dingy tow behind the motorhome. They all work exactly the same, the dash cam turns off with the ignition. Simplest way I know and much easier than going down the A pillar.

Hey Brad, thank you for the help!

I've done our 3 vehicles plus our 2 Son's by tucking behind the over head trim and down and where the gap was too large to hold the wires in, I cut off some spare Nitro fuel line into 2 inch sections, worked great.

Truth be told, I'm half scared to get into the mirror wiring even with Peter's link to the how-to video :crazy:

Back