Symptoms of a dieing amp

03ExplorerSPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT Premium
Ok so I've had my JBL PowerValve BP300.1 for about a year and a half now. It's pushing my single Image Dynamics ID10 10" 250w sub as it as been the whole time. This past year, the amp sometimes wouldn't turn on with the system but if I turned the truck off and then back on the amp would then come on. As I said, this has been happening for about a year. Well it did it again this week after my lunch break at work so I didn't have time to mess with it but, when I got off work 4 hours later it worked fine. And now this brings me to this afternoon/evening. When I went to work, it was working fine and I actually turned the system higher than I usually do for maybe a total of 7 seconds. I swear it was no longer and everything was fine. 4.5 hours later when I'm off of work, I notice on the drive home that it wasn't working. So I go in the house, eat, shower, go back out to the truck ~1 hour later and no dice. It hink the amp may be dead but I'm not sure. I'm going to check all the wiring tomorrow as I have before but nothing seems amiss. Is what I'm experiencing something that happens when an amp is about to die? I've been nothing but good to it. As you can see from the pic, it has plenty of airflow so overheating is definitely out of the question. Can someone give me some insight on this?

The amp placement:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One way to find out if it's the amp or wiring is to check the "trigger" wire for power when the amp cuts off. There is a possibility that the HU is the culprit. It can also be the main power feed as well. If you have an inline fuse, check to make sure it is clean and the conections to it are solid. Check the fuse/s on the amp as well to see if they might be going, a small "fracture" in the fuse element can cause the intermittent problem your experiencing. Check your groundpoint, could be the ground has worked it's way loose.

See if the amp is hot when it cuts off, as it may be overheating, even if you have plenty of airflow around it, it can still get hot enough to turn off. If it is getting hot, check the sub, it could be dying, and requiring more power from the amp to push it, or even shorting itself out.

There is the remote chance that the amp could in fact be on the way out, but, rule out everything else before hand.

sounds kinda like the remote wire has a bad connection somewhere. test whether its the remote or not by applying 12v to the remote lead then removing it, then put 12v back on it. if it turns on, cuts off, turns on, cuts off when you do that, id say your remote wire may be pinched/cut or theres a problem with the head unit's remote lead like pj said. I also recommend you check the ground, as already stated again lol. Great choice for a sub BTW :)

If it does end up being blown, how much for it? I like playing w/ dead electronics lol.

youve got the same exact set up i started out with. yea i liked that sub alot too...till i blew it :( ooooh well. hope you get your problem taken care of...hopefully it is just the remote turn on...

Ok so I got it fixed. My in-line fuse apparantly only likes to be installed one way for some reason. So the problem is fixed. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

Fish Man, I love my ID10. I saw you had one before in your X. Too bad you blew it out.

TeamPwnageBrad, next time I have a broken eletronic I'll e-amil you to see if you want it. LOL.

03ExplorerSPT said:
Ok so I got it fixed. My in-line fuse apparantly only likes to be installed one way for some reason. So the problem is fixed. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

Fish Man, I love my ID10. I saw you had one before in your X. Too bad you blew it out.

TeamPwnageBrad, next time I have a broken eletronic I'll e-amil you to see if you want it. LOL.

haha, you better :)

glad to hear you got it figured out!! yea kinda sucks that i blew it, now ive got this memphis which isnt nearly as nice...but its louder and i think thats what i wanted anyways :p

man i was about to trip, JBL amps are so good i love em!

Back