Monroe quick struts, really that bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Monroe quick struts, really that bad?

MisterWizard

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Exploer Limited
So, just short of two years and 20k miles ago, I replaced the front struts on my 2013 Limited with Monroe quick struts, not wanting to go thru the hassle of doing the spring compressor dance. Now these struts are making horrible clunking noises over every tiny ripple or bump in the pavement, and the ride is starting to feel like I'm in a small boat on a lake with heavy swells.
No, it's not the swaybar links or the lower control arm bushings, they have both been replaced and are tight and quiet.
I'm quite disappointed that these struts are already failing. Obviously I'm not going to be replacing them with more of the same company's product and am considering trying the Gabriel quick struts.
I also considered Motorcraft but it appears they don't make a quick strut available.
Any thought or recommendations? I really am not equipped to be doing the spring compressing routine, so quick struts are really the way I want to go.
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same issue on the monroe's I tried almost immediately. I ran them for about 6K and did not like them at all. I went back to motorcraft luckily I kept the old assemblies so just bought the strut cartridge and mounts from Rockauto. I was apprehensive about rebuilding them but used this compressor kit from amazon and it was actually pretty easy.

Amazon product ASIN B000CMDPLM

I don't know if KYB makes strut/spring combos for your vehicle, but they are one of my first purchases with new vehicles. They are a little firmer ride than OEM and hold up very well. Took all of the lose suspension feeling out of my Silverado.

I’ve heard nothing but bad about the Quick Struts.

You could just pay a shop to put the new springs on? I mean on the assembly, then DIY the rest.

You could just pay a shop to put the new springs on? I mean on the assembly, then DIY the rest.
shops in general want to sell you their parts, not use what you would like. and "insurance reasons" are the usual excuses given for not wanting to do work like that on your parts only. i've tried that with other things without success

^ Seek a smaller shop, and you're not asking them to use your parts to do a repair to a vehicle, rather only asking them for labor to put the spring on the strut. I've seen quotes before of $25 each to do that. YMMV, call around, don't assume that one shop won't do it just because a different one won't. Focus on the small shops.

Normally I'd just suggest a loaner tool spring compressor, but vaguely recall some topic (not even sure if it was on explorer forum or some other, lol) where the loaner tool did not have the length, range of opening to handle SUV springs.

^ Seek a smaller shop, and you're not asking them to use your parts to do a repair to a vehicle, rather only asking them for labor to put the spring on the strut. I've seen quotes before of $25 each to do that. YMMV, call around, don't assume that one shop won't do it just because a different one won't. Focus on the small shops.
I appreciate the suggestions, that wasn't the purpose of this message thread. I was just curious about other people's experiences with the Monroe line in general, if it's just the quick struts or if their entire strut line is garbage. I have Monroe shocks in the rear of my Limited and they are fine, it's just the struts that seem to be junk.

Monroe is junk. Have a newer set on the back of the wife's expedition. Loaded it bounces in the back so bad it makes the kids sick at times. They were on there when I bought it so unfortunately I don't have the original springs. It's high up on my "to fix" list.

If you want cheap replacement shocks or quickstruts check autozone. They are one of the only auto parts stores that don't use Monroe as their house brand. Kyb is the manufacturer for most oem Ford shocks / struts.

At my shop I usually reccomend replacements straight from the dealer so it will only ride the same if not better when you leave. I've installed plenty of monroe junk I haven't been happy with soon after installing.

So, just short of two years and 20k miles ago, I replaced the front struts on my 2013 Limited with Monroe quick struts, not wanting to go thru the hassle of doing the spring compressor dance. Now these struts are making horrible clunking noises over every tiny ripple or bump in the pavement, and the ride is starting to feel like I'm in a small boat on a lake with heavy swells.
No, it's not the swaybar links or the lower control arm bushings, they have both been replaced and are tight and quiet.
I'm quite disappointed that these struts are already failing. Obviously I'm not going to be replacing them with more of the same company's product and am considering trying the Gabriel quick struts.
I also considered Motorcraft but it appears they don't make a quick strut available.
Any thought or recommendations? I really am not equipped to be doing the spring compressing routine, so quick struts are really the way I want to go.
Thanks in advance.
The clunking noises you’re hearing are most likely your strut mounts. I’ve had to replace both sides twice in last 175,000 + miles. I’ve stuck with motorcraft both times but it’s still a bummer. When I replace them, the clunking goes away. Ford has given me free replacements both times in exchange for the old ones! BTW, I put the B6 Bilsteins on with factory springs over 100,000 miles ago. They’re amazing /transforming. These are much higher performance than the B4. I have B6 shocks in the rear as well. It’s a simple bolt in job really. If you’re uncomfortable with compressing the springs, take your new struts into a good local neighborhood alignment shop and ask them to build your strut for you. Most charge about 50 bucks if they’ve got a spring tower and most good alignment shops do!

CD75B253-1C20-4D58-B256-E730093E283E.jpeg DB26F8CA-C6C8-45ED-9A31-0E1E478560A4.jpeg

Bilsteins seem to be hit and miss the past few years. Had a set I helped my neighbor install on his Tacoma that have been great. Buddy put a set on his Cherokee and one was so overcharged he couldn't compress it enough to even get it mounted. The vendor was sending him a replacement, so we unloaded the suspension to mount it for grins. When he released the jack it dramatically blew the shock seals. Wish I had videod it. When we removed it, the shaft pulled out with the seals.

Motorcraft has strut assemblies coming for the ‘11-up Explorer, I built all the assembly tooling several months back. Even did a fitment test on my ‘14 with the first set off the assembly equipment. Unfortunately, getting sub-components in this world today is a challenge…best guess is later this spring/summer before they are released.

Back