Sync 2 with MFT failing. How can I cost effectivly upgrade to Sync 3? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 2 with MFT failing. How can I cost effectivly upgrade to Sync 3?

Ericnlyvone

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello All,

First of all, I admit that I'm a newby on here. I found this forum via a great youtube video by Kingsoupturbo detailing how to repair/program an APIM.

So, please let me back up a bit. Yesterday, the wife and I were coming home from an extended holiday weekend in our 2015 Explorer Limited, when all of the sudden the "radio" screen went black. The rest of the vehicle still ran fine, AC still worked, but no sound system, heated/cooled seats, and so on. So I pulled over and shut of the vehicle and restarted. The radio tried to work, but went black again.

We drove for about an hour and then stopped for fuel. The vehicle was completely off for about 5-10 minutes, may be longer. Once we started out again, a message appeared on the screen saying something about performing maintenance along with a time bar. Once is finished, the radio/display came back and worked well until we got to our local Walmart to pick up a few things. When we got back in the car, it was mostly black again.

Now, when we start the car, sometimes the display will come on for a short time, but will go out very quickly. I called the dealer and a have an appointment for next week to have them take a look at it.

After researching a little, I think the APIM is on the fritz. It sounds like Ford has a 5 year warranty on APIM from reading other threads, but I don't know if that apply's to me because I didn't buy it new. Perhaps someone on here knows that answer.

In the event that its not covered, I will probably try fixing this myself instead of paying the dealer $800.00 or so. My son used to work for Ford, so he already has the needed programmer. I'll just need to find a affordable APIM. Any help finding one from you folks well be greatly appreciated!

However, I have a question. I've seen the Sync 3 system in my son's F-150 and I like it much better because of the interface to Android Auto. But I don't want to pay $1500.00 for a new setup. Also, I should state that my ride has factory Nav, but I never use it.

Questions:
1). Is it possible to get an APIM for Sync 3 system and attach it to my Sync 2 screen, do a "factory program" based in the VIN # and it work?

2). If not, is there a poor mans method of getting a Sync 3 system "cobbled" together using junk yard parts or perhaps parts from someone on this forum? Note, I hope to use Android Auto, so I don't need to retain factory NAV. But I would like to retain everything else.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks Doug and Peter!

Peter, I had not seen the post by Jason. Thanks! Also, thanks for the PM! Good info there!

Back