Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

Latest Sync3 version is 3.0 I believe. I've never been able to download via WiFi, always had to use a USB to update version. What trim level was the APIM from?

Peter
Not sure came from a focus leather and pretty loaded for a focus. And USB is what I want this thing is ver 1.0 still i just want 2.w or higher.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Titanium. Ford said they would send a link to my email in a few minutes. How long does that normally take?

Not sure came from a focus leather and pretty loaded for a focus. And USB is what I want this thing is ver 1.0 still i just want 2.w or higher.
The reason I asked was because I don't know if you can just take an APIM from one vehicle and put it in another without having to do some kind of programming.
Not sure how long it would take to get the link sent to you.

Peter

Ok, I have a few questions about this. I currently have a Sync 2 system that keeps restarting on me so I might have to upgrade. My car is a 2013 explorer with active park assist, acc, lane assist, heated & cooled seats, and heated steering wheel. How would all of these be programmed into the new system?

Sorry, late to the game... lol. Guys, I have been going without music for almost a week; my MFT Snyc 2 on my 2011 Explorer DIED. Pulling out the #29 fuse and cut the power to reset, none worked....

So being I have nothing to lose, I am thinking about the 4Dtech sync 2 to 3, DIY. I don't have nav (I understand that I still need the gps antenna for the compass), so meaning I just need to spend the $1,499?

Anyone actually bought it from 4Dtech and updated it? From another seller, they claim their units are pulled out from wreaked vehicles. 4Dtech didn't say anything... not sure if their units are brand new? refurbished from other sync 3 system?

Is it going to affect the backup camera, front heated seats, etc? I know I will be losing the RCA inputs, so be it.

Thank you so much. Meanwhile. I will still go without music for a while until I decide what to do with it... lol.

Paul

Welcome to the Forum Paul.:wave:
Appears that your APIM has failed. It is the 'brains' of the MFT system.

Peter

Sorry, late to the game... lol. Guys, I have been going without music for almost a week; my MFT Snyc 2 on my 2011 Explorer DIED. Pulling out the #29 fuse and cut the power to reset, none worked....

So being I have nothing to lose, I am thinking about the 4Dtech sync 2 to 3, DIY. I don't have nav (I understand that I still need the gps antenna for the compass), so meaning I just need to spend the $1,499?

Anyone actually bought it from 4Dtech and updated it? From another seller, they claim their units are pulled out from wreaked vehicles. 4Dtech didn't say anything... not sure if their units are brand new? refurbished from other sync 3 system?

Is it going to affect the backup camera, front heated seats, etc? I know I will be losing the RCA inputs, so be it.

Thank you so much. Meanwhile. I will still go without music for a while until I decide what to do with it... lol.

Paul

If you purchase from them, they will require you to give your vin during checkout. They'll program the replacement module specifically for your vehicle. Your vehicle will retain all it's functions.

Welcome to the Forum Paul.:wave:
Appears that your APIM has failed. It is the 'brains' of the MFT system.

Peter
understood. exactly why i wanted to swap now. if i go to the dealer, my guess would be close to $1k, parts and labor, then i will still get the old sync 2. my car is still running good. original extended warranty expired then i got the basic warranty again for another 3 years, which does not cover electronics anyway.

If you purchase from them, they will require you to give your vin during checkout. They'll program the replacement module specifically for your vehicle. Your vehicle will retain all it's functions.

thank you, that part i understand. i just wanna see if anyone here actually bought it and installed it without problems. on paper may sound good until you blow it up....

thank you, that part i understand. i just wanna see if anyone here actually bought it and installed it without problems. on paper may sound good until you blow it up....

I have upgraded by 2011 Explorer Limited to SYNC 3 and couldn't be happier!! Best improvement I've made to that vehicle. When I did mind, I looked into buying from 4DTech but ended up individually sourcing all my parts. Certainly, more time, effort and technical expertise required doing it that way but also cheaper. Whereas the kit from 4Dtech is faster, basically a plug and play with instructions and tech support.

I have upgraded by 2011 Explorer Limited to SYNC 3 and couldn't be happier!! Best improvement I've made to that vehicle. When I did mind, I looked into buying from 4DTech but ended up individually sourcing all my parts. Certainly, more time, effort and technical expertise required doing it that way but also cheaper. Whereas the kit from 4Dtech is faster, basically a plug and play with instructions and tech support.

thank you so much Sevans17!!!! I absolutely don't want the headache, so I just ordered mine from 4DTech, literally right before I see your reply. I will keep you guys posted.

The MyFord touch died. Ford dealership told me $3000 to fix (parts and labor). I spoke to someone at an audio shop about aftermarket. They researched and said no one makes a kit for the 8 inch screen. Only kits for 4 inch screen. That was disappointing because I was looking forward to Apple CarPlay system with the aftermarket system. My sister works at a salvage yard and said she’d see if they have any systems. Could I upgrade my system to a Sync 3 if they have one? If so, what would be the process?

................................ Could I upgrade my system to a Sync 3 if they have one? If so, what would be the process?
Welcome to the Forum miked123.:wave:
See the post directly above yours

Peter

The MyFord touch died. Ford dealership told me $3000 to fix (parts and labor). I spoke to someone at an audio shop about aftermarket. They researched and said no one makes a kit for the 8 inch screen. Only kits for 4 inch screen. That was disappointing because I was looking forward to Apple CarPlay system with the aftermarket system. My sister works at a salvage yard and said she’d see if they have any systems. Could I upgrade my system to a Sync 3 if they have one? If so, what would be the process?

One stone 2 birds by answering miked123's questions and to update my recent Sync 2 to Sync 3 conversion (rec'd it monday but did it last night)....

1). installed the s2 to s3 conversion kit, hooray! everything works! it actually took me the longest to replace the media hub, because of the tight location, and for some reason, my car's usb connection cable from the back is very short (or stuck)... I had to borrow my wife's smaller hands to unplug it.

2). i have not installed the new gps antenna that came with the kit because i didn't see any existing antenna connected, so i figured I might not need it. however, I will install it back because the compass on the main screen won't work (but the compass in the instrument cluster works). i think the time is also tied to the gps signal to get updates.

Updated 5/10/2019: I completed the installation by adding the GPS antenna. Besides the clock and compass, if you plan to use Android Auto, you still need the new GPS antenna (my guess is once your phone is connected, Android Auto would reply on your car's gps, not your phone. I was driving with my Android Auto activated but without the GPS antenna to test it out, AA still giving directions but did not know where I was...

3). i have seen people posting pictures about drilling new holes on the existing bracket to fit the new sync 3. with the kit I bought, i did not have to drill holes.

4). i bought the cheap no nav model, originally i have no nav anyway. so if you plan on using Android Auto, you need a short usb cable. i used a long 6 ft cable last night and could not connect to android auto. this morning, i found a shorter usb cable (2 or 3 ft i think)... voila! Google GPS via Android Auto on my new Sync 3 screen!.

5). Don't bet on using Android Auto wirelessly because it's something new and it requires a much higher Android version, i think it's at least 8.0, my Samsung Note 5 is only running 7.0. Connecting AA wirelessly requires wifi connection NOT bluetooth (not enough bandwidth for AA).

In a nutshell, my $1,500 money well spent.

Side note to miked123: i contacted my dealer service dept as well before buying this kit. I called the service dept, then the service advisor transferred me to sales (because I mentioned Sync 3, he thought I was getting a new car; he just didn't listen....), spoke to a salesperson, honestly told him I didn't even know why I was transferred to you, but he was nice, then the salesperson transferred me back to his buddy, a diff person in the service dept, went to vm... i didn't even bother to leave a message... lol.

I have a sister who has connections with various salvage yards. She told me she needed Make & model of vehicle. Part name/description, and part# if possible. So I’m trying to find out that info for a Sync 3 to go in my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 8” screen Myford touch with navigation.

I have a sister who has connections with various salvage yards. She told me she needed Make & model of vehicle. Part name/description, and part# if possible. So I’m trying to find out that info for a Sync 3 to go in my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 8” screen Myford touch with navigation.

miked123, good luck with that, after getting all the parts, you need someone to program it with your VIN # to map all the existing functions such as heated front seats (no physical buttons), rear backup camera, etc

miked123, good luck with that, after getting all the parts, you need someone to program it with your VIN # to map all the existing functions such as heated front seats (no physical buttons), rear backup camera, etc

I take it that would be the difficult part of everything.

Nice work! I got my 2012 Explorer Limited fully functional with a 2017 XLT Explorer Sync 3 system with NAV. The missing piece for me was on line 7D0-01-01 XXXX XXXX X*zz I found several options missing from the spreadsheets.

XXXX XXXX X8zz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen but disables both HSW and Heated & Cooled Seats on screen.

XXXX XXXX X9zz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated seats enabled, cooled seats disabled.

XXXX XXXX XAzz (same as above I think) dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated seats enabled, cooled seats disabled.

XXXX XXXX XBzz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated & cooled seats enabled on screen.

Project complete! I also had four APIM DTC errors before I figured out the steering wheel control needed to be set to 7D0-01-01 XXX1 XXXX XXzz.

I hope this helps someone. Cheers!

I got a Ford Edge for my wife and got creative and used the brackets that came with the standard mount sync 3 that I salvaged from a 2016 Escape with NAV ($147 shipped) to replace my sync 2 recessed screen. It took minimal modification to the in-dash plastic mounts.

Simply switch the left bracket with the right bracket that comes on the standard mount sync 3's and you can get the screen to fit perfectly into the dash.

Now align the new screen in the dash at the desired height (I used pics of the old unit to make it the same) and mark where to drill holes through the dash plastic for the bracket pegs to go through.

Set the screen aside and drill the holes you just marked.

Put the unit in the dash and mark the top right and top left mount bracket holes to drill small pilot holes for drywall screws or the likes, which is sufficient to hold the unit firmly in place along with the bracket pegs and dash trim that you will reinstall at the end.

Set the screen aside and drill the pilot holes you just marked.

Mount the unit with the screws or nuts and bolts of your choosing and you are done! Looks good and works perfectly!

Three other things to note:

1. in my Ford Explorer, the USB hub cable is super short and so I found it was much easier to install the USB hub "upside down" in the USB bezel. You can't tell the difference.
2. Use a wire brush to clean the pins on the main connector on the back of your new sync 3 unit before installation to ensure a good connection because both units I have received had some very dirty pins.
3. I sourced all the parts (already had the OBDII with high speed switch) for a total of $215. I used car-part.com to source the sync 3 APIM with screen for $147 and then found the USB adapter harness on ebay for $25, the USB bezel for $11 from a ford dealer, the USB hub on ebay $26.99, and finally the fakra antenna on ebay for $5.

Cheers!

-Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work! I got my 2012 Explorer Limited fully functional with a 2017 XLT Explorer Sync 3 system with NAV. The missing piece for me was on line 7D0-01-01 XXXX XXXX X*zz I found several options missing from the spreadsheets.

XXXX XXXX X8zz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen but disables both HSW and Heated & Cooled Seats on screen.

XXXX XXXX X9zz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated seats enabled, cooled seats disabled.

XXXX XXXX XAzz (same as above I think) dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated seats enabled, cooled seats disabled.

XXXX XXXX XBzz dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated & cooled seats enabled on screen.

Project complete! I also had four APIM DTC errors before I figured out the steering wheel control needed to be set to 7D0-01-01 XXX1 XXXX XXzz.

I hope this helps someone. Cheers!

XXXX XXXX XAzz This was actually dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated & cooled seats enabled on screen

Back