Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

So I purchased the upgrade for my 2011 Limited and did the swap. Hardest part was plugging that super short usb into the back of the new USB hub but I got it working.

Everything works except for my microphone. Whether it be phone calls when connected to my phone or trying to do audio commands with the steering wheel button it does not hear me.

Anyone else notice this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the Sync 3 come with the latest update?

Peter

Did the Sync 3 come with the latest update?

Peter
Yes it currently has 3.4 installed. I reached out to the seller about it so waiting to hear back. I ordered one of those forscan cables and gonna see if there is something in the programming. But any other input would be great.

Yes it currently has 3.4 installed. I reached out to the seller about it so waiting to hear back. I ordered one of those forscan cables and gonna see if there is something in the programming. But any other input would be great.
V3.4 but what is the 'build' number? That will tell you if it is the latest V3.4 update. The latest is V3.4 22251. That is what the 6th gen has.

Peter

V3.4 but what is the 'build' number? That will tell you if it is the latest V3.4 update. The latest is V3.4 22251. That is what the 6th gen has.

Peter
Okay I just checked and mine is running 22110. I will update it today and see if that fixes my microphone issue. I am assuming it is the whole update through USB like sync 2 used to? I read somewhere not to let it update over wifi or I could lose my VIN programming

Peter
Actually going through the Ford site it asks for my VIN but I am using a sync 3 unit that was programmed by the seller to my VIN. Is there a way to do this without messing up my current programming?

Actually going through the Ford site it asks for my VIN but I am using a sync 3 unit that was programmed by the seller to my VIN. Is there a way to do this without messing up my current programming?
Hi Chris. I don't have the answer to that. Perhaps some who made the switch can help. I think this may be an ongoing problem since Ford has recorded you as having the previous system. As for WiFi updates, you shouldn't have to worry. You would need Sync 4 for that. I have to use the download to computer to USB to vehicle method. I doubt that the update would have anything to do with the microphone issue. Good luck.

Peter

Hi Chris. I don't have the answer to that. Perhaps some who made the switch can help. I think this may be an ongoing problem since Ford has recorded you as having the previous system. As for WiFi updates, you shouldn't have to worry. You would need Sync 4 for that. I have to use the download to computer to USB to vehicle method. I doubt that the update would have anything to do with the microphone issue. Good luck.

Peter
Thank you for the info. I just got my forscan cable in the mail so gonna see if maybe there is a setting for the microphone that is turned off or something. Gotta figure out how to get started with the forscan stuff

The seller probably used, and I always recommend using cyanlabs.net's syn3 updater. Ford's software is terrible anyways and the internet as usual came through with a better mouse trap that gets you the latest software and maps. Doubt it will fix your issue but worth a shot to update the software. I replied in your other thread as well with some other thoughts about this.

The seller probably used, and I always recommend using cyanlabs.net's syn3 updater. Ford's software is terrible anyways and the internet as usual came through with a better mouse trap that gets you the latest software and maps. Doubt it will fix your issue but worth a shot to update the software. I replied in your other thread as well with some other thoughts about this.
So it turns out it was the APIM was the issue. The seller sent me a new APIM and that fixed the microphone issue. But funny story. My 2011 explorer timing chain broke which killed my water pump which caused the engine to overheat which damaged the head gasket. So I bought a 2016 explorer sport and put the sync 3 I to that one. Bought an asbuilt file from someone and got it programmed and everything is perfect now.

Back