Sync and iOS 6 | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync and iOS 6

This was on the SYNC Owner to Owner Forum

126 Nov-15 From: NEED2ESCAPELTD To: All

I can not get my text messages either even though the system recognizes the iPhone has the capability now. I was ok before the update because I could at least hear when I got a text message, however now, I cant hear the message notification if my phone is connected to any Bluetooth device. While I would like the text messaging to work with Sync, the fact that the update broke something that was working is what irritates me the most.

I sent an email to Apple CEO Tim Cooks office and actually got a call back from the his office who has put me in touch with an internal technician. I am in IT , and a software developer. Looking at this from a developer view the issue is totally Apple's, especially considering that everything worked perfectly in iOS 6 Beta 2, it was only after it was made release that everything stopped working. I have done a lot of testing on this issue and it points to security being added to the MAP by Apple. This is why Sync will now acknowledge that the phone has the capabilities, but cant download messages or send message. In short its trying to access it but the phone is not letting it.

After a long discussion with the tech, in which he first denied that he had heard anything about this issue, even though it is all over the internet and not just with Ford vehicles, he eventually agreed that it would appear to be the security issue and agreed to escalate it to engineering, but didn't think it would go anywhere. Mr. Cooks assistant checked up on the progress last night and I explained that although I figured it would go nowhere it was sad that the supposed premier smart phone did not have the capability that lesser phones had, even though it did during beta. She advised that she was going to take it herself to engineering as a priority.

Hopefully something will get done, otherwise I am left with the only option of changing phones because I bought my car to be able to fully utilize sync. Until then I am left with making decisions on if I want to use my hands free calling or be able to hear my text messages come in.

Thanks for your diligence on this and giving us the feedback. I hope they fix it.

Really disappointed in Apple and their arrogance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Rebecca, hopefully we get it all this time. All the bugs are driving me nuts. At this point I would not buy Ford again as all the other guys have much better tech that actually works.

Funny. Some guys on the BMW board say the same thing. And ever try using Chevy's technology?

Thanks Rebecca, hopefully we get it all this time. All the bugs are driving me nuts. At this point I would not buy Ford again as all the other guys have much better tech that actually works.

Which other guys are you referring to? My other car is a Dodge Journey with Chrysler's Uconnect system. That has its own set of problems. At least Ford releases updates. Chrysler hasn't released a single update in the year I've owned it. Their philosophy seems to be to fix bugs and add features for the new model year vehicles instead. If I don't want to buy a new Chrysler vehicle every year, I'm stuck with the version that came with the car.

Well said !!!!!!!!!!

Had me Ex a year now, have done two version updates and it just got worse, not better. I see some comps with Chev and Dodge, I would never have compared with them, they are a joke (and yes I also own a Dodge, :fart: ). BMW, Audi, Toyota all have good system (as advertised)

The whole process is frustrating, from downloading the updates, uploading the completion reports,customer service has been a joke, SyncMyRide website is terrible and slow.

No app integration, useless features (calendar), bugs, slow responses, crashing. My EX has spent at least 10 days at the dealership getting recall and warrantee issues resolved, it rattles, is under powered etc.

I bough Ford because I liked how they came through the bankruptcy thing, I wanted to buy American. Ford was talking Sync long before many others had any tech like this, I expected more from it as it was not the new kid on the block, and after all I have been a Ford guy all my life.

Not trying to be negative, just looking at my investment and not very happy.

IOS 6 Beta 3 is out. I will load it today and let you know how it does with messaging. I have an iPhone 4. Not sure how General has it working still...

RonJR .........what happened with messaging after you loaded iOS 6.1 Beta 3?

I bough Ford because I liked how they came through the bankruptcy thing, I wanted to buy American. Ford was talking Sync long before many others had any tech like this, I expected more from it as it was not the new kid on the block, and after all I have been a Ford guy all my life.

Not trying to be negative, just looking at my investment and not very happy.

Please tell me more about the Ford bankruptcy thing! I might have missed it in the news! ;)

BMW, Audi, Toyota all have good system (as advertised)

Toyota's competing model is the Highlander. As far as I know, the Highlander has not been updated to the Entune system yet, and has very old tech. That was one of the main reasons I went with the Explorer instead. I don't know much about the BMW and Audi systems, so I can't really comment on them. I've heard that they don't have touch screens, which means you have to navigate around with a joystick. Is that the case?

RonJR .........what happened with messaging after you loaded iOS 6.1 Beta 3?

Have not had a chance to try it.... Collided with a 175 pound buck last Friday night and did $10,000 worth of front end damage (no structural damage). The headlight assemblies are $700 apiece, grill $800, wheels $700 apiece, fender and right door skin. Broke the radiator support. No one hurt, deer dead... My first new vehicle in 15 plus years, but it will be repaired (all Ford replacement parts).

Yes that would take priority.....main thing is no one got hurt and Storm Trooper will be OK

Have not had a chance to try it.... Collided with a 175 pound buck last Friday night and did $10,000 worth of front end damage (no structural damage). The headlight assemblies are $700 apiece, grill $800, wheels $700 apiece, fender and right door skin. Broke the radiator support. No one hurt, deer dead... My first new vehicle in 15 plus years, but it will be repaired (all Ford replacement parts).

Wow! That's crazy. My buddy terminated a deer on the rte 3 bypass just past the Morrill st bridge about 5 years ago. Deers head came thru the passenger side window on his Gf's lap. Car also survived but it was a long ride home.

Back to the topic now!!!!

I was having issues again so I did a Master Reset, then deleted SYNC from my iPhone5 and did a fresh re-pairing.

Now Im getting all my iMessages and text messages through MFT.

No email

Cannot send a reply.

MFT v 3.5.1. and iOS v6.0.1

I was having issues again so I did a Master Reset, then deleted SYNC from my iPhone5 and did a fresh re-pairing.

Now Im getting all my iMessages and text messages through MFT.

No email

Cannot send a reply.

MFT v 3.5.1. and iOS v6.0.1

I will try this when I get Storm Trooper back on Friday.

RonJR ...... did you download iOS 6.1 Beta 3 yet?

After two weeks of our phones being syncd to the car, I now cant get my iphone5 to connect at all, and my wifes is connected, but doesnt have any of these Text and Facebook features you guys are talking about.

Bit frustrated with this... now the wife doesnt even want me to try sync my phone in case it kills hers again. :(

Any of you guys with the Apple Dev accounts tried 6.1 Beta yet with MFT?

After two weeks of our phones being syncd to the car, I now cant get my iphone5 to connect at all, and my wifes is connected, but doesnt have any of these Text and Facebook features you guys are talking about.

Bit frustrated with this... now the wife doesnt even want me to try sync my phone in case it kills hers again. :(

Had the same exact thing happen to me. I did a master reset (under settings - remove your Nav card and any USB device before resetting) and it seemed to "fix" it (my phone connected again), but you have to re-add all you GPS and phone stored settings. A bit of a PITA, but at least my phone is reconnected and is working (for now).

Back