SYNC Build 21194 Is Released by Ford | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC Build 21194 Is Released by Ford

Looks like the system sees you as having an outdated Gracenote database, so it pushed the latest one to you.
OK. So I downloaded the files from the web and got:

5U5T-14G381-ET.tar.gz
5U5T-14G391-CP.tar.gz
GB5T-14G386-AD.tar.gz
HB5T-14G386-VBB.tar.gz
HB5T-14G386-VEB.tar.gz
LU5T-14G386-CA.tar.gz

Installed and it successfully updated to 21194. Travel Link works!. Turned on WIFI again and immediately started downloading

4U5T-14G422-CAJ-tar.gz

Wonder what that is. Didn't want to keep running the car so I shut it off. Hope it really does continue to download.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing I noticed and maybe UofMEngineer can answer for me. After the update the Ford Owner site still is showing that I'm on 21098 and that 21194 is available to download. The last OTA it changed as soon as it was done.

Turned on WIFI again and immediately started downloading

4U5T-14G422-CAJ-tar.gz

Wonder what that is. Didn't want to keep running the car so I shut it off. Hope it really does continue to download.

I wasn't sure if they'd push this or not. This is an updated nav voice package. Really minor update to fix a bug with recognition of "fast food". With the now old one, you had to say "fast food restaurants" for it to work, else you probably got results for french food.

One thing I noticed and maybe UofMEngineer can answer for me. After the update the Ford Owner site still is showing that I'm on 21098 and that 21194 is available to download. The last OTA it changed as soon as it was done.

Who knows. Sometimes it seems like it takes that backend a bit of time to update.

What's in the update? Anything good?
It fixes the Travel Link not working. I've heard it also fixed the phone echo problem. Not real sure what else. Oh, I often lost the audio for Sirius and it looks like it fixed that also. But so far it looks good.

Map updates don't usually come out till March each year. I would be surprised if they did a mid year release.

No map updates, no. I think they may be putting the 20Q2 data that went OTA a while back on the USB update website soon though.

Update complete. I did multiple restarts and SXM TL and Audio seem to be solid now. It's about time Ford.

Sync 3.4.21194_1.jpg

Sync 3.4.21194_2.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Dale. So we'll all be waiting to hear if it actually fixes the Travel Link issue.
Downloaded this update to a flash drive and installed it yesterday. Travel Link has worked three starts in a row. I’m optimistic it’s finally fixed.

Well, mine finally finished updating as well. Ours also went into deep sleep mode because the update took so long. Our battery should have been fully charged as It's at least a 40 mile round trip to practically anywhere from our home.

When I went out this morning I connected the Explorer to my phone's hotspot so it could continue the download. As I was driving the screen turned black and then rebooted. I was honestly a bit worried at that point, but it came right back up with no problems.

BTW, what did Ford do, buy up all the old 1200 baud modems for a great price and stick them in our "high tech" Explorers? Nothing should take that long to download when provided with a solid high speed WiFi connection which is available to the vehicle every night.

Well, mine finally finished updating as well. Ours also went into deep sleep mode because the update took so long. Our battery should have been fully charged as It's at least a 40 mile round trip to practically anywhere from our home.

When I went out this morning I connected the Explorer to my phone's hotspot so it could continue the download. As I was driving the screen turned black and then rebooted. I was honestly a bit worried at that point, but it came right back up with no problems.

BTW, what did Ford do, buy up all the old 1200 baud modems for a great price and stick them in our "high tech" Explorers? Nothing should take that long to download when provided with a solid high speed WiFi connection which is available to the vehicle every night.
This is why I used a USB to install. OTA is ok if you can let it sit for a while but I am not that patient, LOL!!

Yeah, I always use USB on my personal vehicles unless I'm helping test some specific OTA update. For OTA, I just let it proceed at it's own pace in the background across multiple connections vs press the button and wait for it to finish.

Yeah, I always use USB on my personal vehicles unless I'm helping test some specific OTA update. For OTA, I just let it proceed at it's own pace in the background across multiple connections vs press the button and wait for it to finish.
Yep, that's the idea behind OTA. It's supposed to be transparent and work behind the scenes.
When I downloaded the update to a USB stick this morning and went out to the car I was half thinking that maybe OTA would of already installed it overnight since its been available since yesterday. I have auto updates on and the vehicle should connect to my home wifi when pulled into the drive. But no, it had not updated overnight so I just plugged in the USB and let it take care if it.

It fixes the Travel Link not working. I've heard it also fixed the phone echo problem. Not real sure what else. Oh, I often lost the audio for Sirius and it looks like it fixed that also. But so far it looks good.
I've been in shop for those issues. The dealer was downloading that update and it didn't take. So I have to go back for them too install.
Rather not do it myself since it's under warranty.

Thanks

I've been in shop for those issues. The dealer was downloading that update and it didn't take. So I have to go back for them too install.
Rather not do it myself since it's under warranty.

Thanks
The latest, v3.4.21194, was just released yesterday. I think some dealers will install the update for you as a good will thing but I'm not sure it's necessarily covered under warranty. It's really easy to do. Follow the instructions here:

My car won't download it. What am I missing?

Do you have a 2018 Explorer? I'm not sure if that has OTA updating on it. Have you checked the Ford Owners website for the update? https://www.ford.com/support/category/sync-and-technology/?gnav=header-support/
Yes 2018
I've been scanning for updates and it has been timing out. I have to make a run to the store and I'll try a little later. I'm leaving a tender on the battery and the 'radio' on. I'm going to try your link after this one.
Thanks!

Yes 2018
I've been scanning for updates and it has been timing out. I have to make a run to the store and I'll try a little later. I'm leaving a tender on the battery and the 'radio' on. I'm going to try your link after this one.
Thanks!

2018’s are on old hardware. They don’t get v3.4, only v3.0 from Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the lost audio issue you mentioned the same as the "go into the store to pay for your gas and come out and Sirius is stuck" problem some (including me) were seeing?

Back