• Register Today It's free!

sync issues

jmclark45

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer base model
2016 explorer, sync issues. I've had my Explorer for 6 months. Withing 2 weeks my Sync would disconnect my Samsung s6. 911 would work, but could not play music via bluetooth. Dealer installed a patch that made it work. Two weeks ago same thing, dealer installed an "update". Again it resolved the issue. Yesterday we went to the store, turned off the vehicle, when we came out about 15 minutes later the whole sync system was down. No 911, no radio, no backup camera, nothing. Just a dark screen. Turned vehicle off and on, tried pressing on/off on sync unit. Nothing. Went home locked vehicle for the night. This morning started vehicle everything back to normal. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Will it happen again? Am beginning to think I made a mistake getting rid of my 2010 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sounds like you caught the system doing "scheduled Maintenance". The system does a reboot every so often after you shut the vehicle down. When you catch it in the middle, sometimes you'll see on the screen "performing scheduled system maintenance" other times it'll act the way you saw it. I wouldn't worry at this point.

Wait for it.

Sounds like your APIM may be bad (brains of MFT).

2016 explorer, sync issues. I've had my Explorer for 6 months. Withing 2 weeks my Sync would disconnect my Samsung s6. 911 would work, but could not play music via bluetooth. Dealer installed a patch that made it work. Two weeks ago same thing, dealer installed an "update". Again it resolved the issue. Yesterday we went to the store, turned off the vehicle, when we came out about 15 minutes later the whole sync system was down. No 911, no radio, no backup camera, nothing. Just a dark screen. Turned vehicle off and on, tried pressing on/off on sync unit. Nothing. Went home locked vehicle for the night. This morning started vehicle everything back to normal. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Will it happen again? Am beginning to think I made a mistake getting rid of my 2010 Explorer.

Try disconnecting your positive battery terminal. It's a blue clip, no tools required. Leave off for 15 minutes. See if that clears the issues. If not Im in agreement with the others, your APIM is likely one of the bad ones, dealer has to swap.

I don't believe your 3 incidents are related, nor do I think there is an issue with your APIM. The first 2 are known software issues/updates, the 3rd, I believe is as I described it, not an APIM issue. I've been using MFT since 2011 and have experienced all you have described at one time or another, none of my issues were APIM failure related.

But, I also may be completely wrong.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I will just have to wait and see. So far it has been running fine, I know anything intermittent will be hard to find. Thanks for the ideas

Back