Sync V3.0 to V3.4 Upgrade | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync V3.0 to V3.4 Upgrade

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s been forever since I’ve been on here, when should update APIM firmware, if something broken or if it just been done? 2018 explorer Xlt on 3.4.19274 and trying to go to 22251

It’s been forever since I’ve been on here, when should update APIM firmware, if something broken or if it just been done? 2018 explorer Xlt on 3.4.19274 and trying to go to 22251
Unless you need a feature that you don't already have (calm screen off the top of my head as an example) I would probably leave the firmware alone. More risk than reward unless you have an issue, and a 2018 would already have a pretty late firmware version.

Ok good to know. I think my build date is 11/9/2017, and when I read this: “These MY18.5 APIM’s have newer firmware which supports the extended asbuilt lines 7D0-08-xx and 7D0-09-xx, which may contain additional settings and features your vehicle may be able to support.”

I started thinking, well how would I know if I need to update if I would gain function.

Note, some of the later builds support higher wattage usb type-c ports. I removed the usb hub and installed the usb type-c hub. This hub has 1 usb, 1 usb type-c. Doing this will make the usb port inside the console armrest inoperable. Since i have the optional gun safe in their, i dont use that usb anyway.

Note, some of the later builds support higher wattage usb type-c ports. I removed the usb hub and installed the usb type-c hub. This hub has 1 usb, 1 usb type-c. Doing this will make the usb port inside the console armrest inoperable. Since i have the optional gun safe in their, i dont use that usb anyway.
You remember how much for usb c module, also do you find the usb c disconnects less?

Ok good to know. I think my build date is 11/9/2017, and when I read this: “These MY18.5 APIM’s have newer firmware which supports the extended asbuilt lines 7D0-08-xx and 7D0-09-xx, which may contain additional settings and features your vehicle may be able to support.”

I started thinking, well how would I know if I need to update if I would gain function.
I believe all of the functions of 08-XX and 09-XX are related to items that used to be only settable in the IPC that have been added to the APIM menus in some vehicles. I honestly don't know if this makes any difference in an explorer, I'd imagine if 18-19s didn't have this out of the box it probably doesn't work anyways as they were already gearing up to add most of the features to the next gen model. I don't think there's anything in those settings that would lock you out of a cool feature you could add etc.

Any idea what the max power is? I got an aftermarket A and C combo in my '15 and the C port appears to top out at 10w or so, which I think is better than the "standard" A ports did on early sync 3 models, but I was kind of hoping for closer to PD power levels. I've heard OEM at least may do higher than this cheapy.

I believe all of the functions of 08-XX and 09-XX are related to items that used to be only settable in the IPC that have been added to the APIM menus in some vehicles. I honestly don't know if this makes any difference in an explorer, I'd imagine if 18-19s didn't have this out of the box it probably doesn't work anyways as they were already gearing up to add most of the features to the next gen model. I don't think there's anything in those settings that would lock you out of a cool feature you could add etc.

Any idea what the max power is? I got an aftermarket A and C combo in my '15 and the C port appears to top out at 10w or so, which I think is better than the "standard" A ports did on early sync 3 models, but I was kind of hoping for closer to PD power levels. I've heard OEM at least may do higher than this cheapy.
I was starting to follow back on one of the threads he did, I’m curious if quick charge ever work for anybody who got the upgraded hubs.

Did you change to V3.4 from V3.0? If so, the update likely won't show on your Ford account since it was an unauthorized upgrade and Ford would have no record of your vehicle having it. That update is currently available for the 6th gen Explorer and the Aviator. I did it on my Aviator last week.

Peter

This is the hub i have. I upgraded my 15 sync2 to sync3 and found this hub was used on some newer trucks with sync3. I had read, that you had to update to 3.4 to take advantage of higher amperage for QC chargers. I could not tell you how much power it puts out, frankly didn’t ever find out how to check. I haven’t installed it on my 17 platinum just yet. When i sold the 15 XLT, I removed this hub and reinstalled the sync3 hub i had originally installed. By the way, there are 2 versions of this hub, one is smaller and this one is direct replacement
72572C2B-0220-4966-853B-53DDE3BE0F5E.jpeg

You remember how much for usb c module, also do you find the usb c disconnects less?
I paid around 90.00 several years ago, they were scarce. I never had problems disconnecting at all.

Did you change to V3.4 from V3.0? If so, the update likely won't show on your Ford account since it was an unauthorized upgrade and Ford would have no record of your vehicle having it. That update is currently available for the 6th gen Explorer and the Aviator. I did it on my Aviator last week.

Peter
Yes, not looking to do official. It’s been a couple years since I moved it from 2 to 3 figured there had to be some good updates in the last two years. I’ve been on under a rock, so imagine my excitement when I see there’s a on one solution with cyanlabs.

Updated my and wife's 2018 XLT and Platinum Explorers to 3.4.22251 from 3.0.17276 without issue with the cyanlabs method.

It's a shame you can't use a custom background without mods. Looks much nicer.

Back