• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic Oil

Wombly248

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Hello, I have the 5.0L and was wondering what i should get for a synthetic oil at a local store. I was thinking amsoil synthetic. is there anything else i must worry about, (i would research more but i've got a paper due friday and it's going to get really cold for the next two weeks). thanks for the quick responses!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Milwaukee! Wooh woot! The only thing is use 5w30 or even 5w20 - especially in cold weather. I did get some oil leaking on my B2 after switching from regular to syn, but nothing too terrible.

Groan, here we go again....:rolleyes:

Hello, I have the 5.0L and was wondering what i should get for a synthetic oil at a local store. I was thinking amsoil synthetic. is there anything else i must worry about, (i would research more but i've got a paper due friday and it's going to get really cold for the next two weeks). thanks for the quick responses!

FWIW, my synthetic story. Bought a '65 Mustang brand new, ordered July, '64 with High Performance Package, the 289HP, which came with solid valve lifters, Top Loader 4-Speed, 3.89 rear axle gears, etc.

Mobil 1 came on the market (synthetic) maybe a year later. I had always used Texaco Havoline 10W-40, by then several trips across the U.S. with the car; never burned a bit of oil. Put in Mobil 1, soon noticed when checking level, the damned stuff was burning in my engine! Maybe a qt./1000 mi. Switched back to Havoline, none burned.

Swore off the synthetic ever since. So, have the new products been improved, of that type? I'm not convinced. Believe back then the Mobil 1 was around $7.00/qt. imp

Napa Synthetic 5w-30

I do believe that aldive had covered this, i do remember him saying that switching to synthetic was the best thing to do to get better gas mileage. Thanks for the quick reply's. Someone can convince me wrong if aldive was incorrect.

You can possibly get better gas mileage if you switch ALL of your fluids to synthetic (Trans, transfer case, differentials)

Back