Wal-Mart Synthetic Oil

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Was wondering thru Walmart today, and not only noticed that they restocked the shelves with Motocraft oil filters YEAH! but they have their own jug of 100% Synthetic oil for $14.98 (5 quarts)......

Wonder who is bottling it for them....it just happens to be next to the Mobil 1 jugs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more than likely it is mobil one
what is wrng with motorcraft filters??

wpurple said:
Was wondering thru Walmart today, and not only noticed that they restocked the shelves with Motocraft oil filters YEAH! but they have their own jug of 100% Synthetic oil for $14.98 (5 quarts)......

Wonder who is bottling it for them....it just happens to be next to the Mobil 1 jugs.

Better be something good for that price...... Mobile One doesnt cost me that much when I buy it from my acura dealer

i noticed that wal mart was only selling fram filters a few months ago, and i prefer to use motorcraft (ford recommended).
just personal preference.
why would mobil re-label their oil and sell it for $5 cheaper??

n3m3s1s said:
why would mobil re-label their oil and sell it for $5 cheaper??

i was watching something one day and even batteries, most store brand batterie are actually batteries made be Duracell and labeled store brand...

I need to check into this..since I work at Walley World....Walmart contracts out around 90% of their products..I discovered that when Walmart sells tires they can use multiple manufacturers...Firestone, GoodYear, Michelin..etc..the tires are just rebadged with there logo/in house brand names...To the lowest bidder is Wallys motto'... I will get back to you guys on this soon!!!

Doesn't surprise me. Hell ANY product you by anymore you pay for the name, not the product.

I did some reading on synthetics recently - the only true synthetics are redline, amsoil, and mobil1. These are made from grade 4 oil basestock, which is a synthetic basestock.

Castrol began making a synthetic with some grade 4 basestock and a "hydrocracked" grade 3 basestock (dino oil) mixed in. Hydrocracking does something to the dino oil which makes it more stable and it does not break down as easily as standard dino oil. I never found out exactly what hydrocracking was.

Mobil sued Castrol for calling their Syntec oil synthetic. The court said there is no legal definition for "synthetic oil", and Mobil lost.

I don't know who is making Wallys synthetic oil, but its unlikely it is true synthetic - just a marketing trick like Castrol Syntec.

The BMW and MBZ people were all stressed out about this for awhile....haven't seen much on it recently

I just paid $12.98 for a 5 gal jug of "synthetic" at WW... ya know at oil prices these days the diff between $1+ something and $2.50 a quart ain't much for something remotely synthetic. I am old fashioned I change good dino oil too often I know, but in winter I run Synthetic for start up protection, and I am liking this stuff at $2.50 a quart. I also change trannie fluid too often.

The bad thing about this horrible wasteful practice is I have a 92 Explorer that has an engine with great compression and a terrific leakdown test at 215K and the original never been worked on A4LD under the hood.

(And a spare rebuild sitting on my garage floor itchin to get in there)

Actually from what I've heard, the only TRUE synthetics are Amsoil, Royal Purple and Redline. There is NOTHING natural in these oils, as they are purely manmade. Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil etc all have mineral base stock in them hence the color of them all and why they look like "dino oil"

Quick question about the use of synthetic oils in our explorer.

I heard if you switch to synthetic oils, you can not switch back to regular oil in the future. You have to keep using synthetic oils.

Not true, you can mix synthetics with dino oils as well. It doesn't hurt a thing.

I'd like the info on the wallyworld syn, because they sell mobil 1 in a gallon jugg for like 21.00 or something.. Then again, being in SE Michigan, I can always go to Murray's and get whatever the hell I wanted. Just to give me some more options in terms of money saving.

Green98XLT said:
Not true, you can mix synthetics with dino oils as well. It doesn't hurt a thing.

Sure you can and its called synthetic blend, There are no regulations as to how much synthetic is in the blend however,

This pact ice simply reduces the advantages of using synthetic oil.

I would either run either synthetic, or dino, but not a combo of the two (whats the point?). Even though there is nothing wrong with doing so I would not intentionally blend synthetic and dino oil together.. I would also stay away from any of the blended synthetic oils on the market... The packaging makes it sould great, but you're paying a heafy $$ for mostly dino oil.. They could just add a few drops of synthetic and call it a synthetic blend..

Someone told me recently that it only had to br 6% to be labeled synthetic. Don't know if that's true or not.

rizzjc said:
Someone told me recently that it only had to br 6% to be labeled synthetic. Don't know if that's true or not.

You mean synthetic blend? There are no rules for the amount.

Yeah, blend. They just said that in order to put synthetic on the bottle it only needed to be 6% synthetic, but you might be right that there is no rule, just something I heard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I inquired about the oil distributors that WalMart uses and got a mixed amount of info..Texaco is one of the latest suppliers for the Super Tech brand but there are a few companies involved...I have copied a few for your reading enjoyment :D

Attachments

• walmart oil.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 512

Back