T5 with a 4.0?

pgrey

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hi all,

I've done a search for this, but because the search engine won't let me enter a word with less than three letter (which the term "T5" is), I haven't been able to get any decent results. Forgive me if this is an old subject.

Anybody done a T5 conversion behind a stock motor? I've got a '91 Explorer with 200K miles on it. Everything works fine but odds are that the end is near. Since we've decided to keep the truck as skiing and off road vehicle, I'm planning on rebuilding the motor, but I know that the automatics fitted to Explorers are weak. I've got a T5Z sitting in my garage and I'm wondering if it could be installed in the Ex behind the stock 4.0.

Anybody done this? Major or minor PITA? Is it worth the trouble? Can you point me to resources or helpfull web sites?

Thanks,

Peter

P.S. My daily driver is a Volvo wagon with a 347ci Ford V8 and Tremec so I'm pretty comfortable with this type of work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At the present time, i think that the only adapter made for different transmission is for the 700R4 GM tranny. One member on here, diffwackdaddy, just got his back from a company called Advance Adapters. They make adapters for all types of stuff. You could probably get ahold of them to see if they have one, or have plans to make one. www.advanceadapters.com

Thank you.

Peter

Advanced Adapters makes a adapter for a World Class T5 to mate to a 2.9L.

It has been used to mate a WC T5 to a OHV 4.0L in the past. You will need to convert the clutch hydraulics to a manual clutch (shift fork) and they also sell what you need for this.

I do not remember the specifics as far as what starter, flywheel, clutch etc etc is used, but it has been done.

410fortune,

In reading your sig, am I correct in assuming that the "custom A4LD" is some type of beefed up autobox? If so, what's been done and where did you have it done? I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel if I can just buy a sturdy box that'll fit.

Peter

Back