Take a look at my tint | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Take a look at my tint

The late '97's were first to receive the dark smoke tint, it was a mid-year change...

Yeah, that explains it.

My '97 was actually made at the end of '96, so it's one of the first models. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My tint on my 96 does not match that well either, but I did not really care. One tint place I went to said they could get close using one layer of LLumar tint, with another layer of LLumar tint of a different type. I did not want to spend the outrageous price they would have charged me, nor did I want to have them tint my windows, since their installers are paid on quantity, not quality. On a side note, that business closed.

So, I just had my tinter install his 30% bronze tint. He offered to install the two layer tint film from the place mentioned above, but I figured that if it really bothered me, I'll strip his film off, and have him install the two layers of film at a later date.

I think in some past posts on this topic, there is a mention, or pics, of Gila brand tint that matches pretty close.

Click on image for larger view
th_IMG_0669.jpg

The tint on my X is Llumar. Just one layer though. I think it matches pretty good (pic on first page).

When darkness falls, all worries of mismatch tint disappear....

24pyus4.jpg

Very true... :)

I was at my installer's shop today, and we talked about the early Explorer tint, and he had the 30% bronze on the wall so I asked him if anything he had would match up to the Ex bronze and he said no, they've tried that, then multi layer, then two brands, and gave up. There isn't a tint that matches the early Gen II, but the Bronze is probably the closest but it's still not "on"

the mis-match looks like crap in my opinion,
mirror tint is the worst

My ex has the mirror finish on the rear 3 glass panels. The two front has more of a smoked thing to it. Yours seems very dark up front!

I just wanted to chime in, I have a 97 with OHV and the dark smoke tint.. I've see that that is kind of weird timeline wise? I have to look at when it was born. I put some 5% tint on my back most side and tailgate windows and it looks sweet, but Im hopeing to match the front doors with the rear doors by putting 20% on them. Does anybody know if that will match up transparancy wise? If not I'll probably just tint the back doors darker to compensate.. Nobody needs to see in there anyway lol

the mis-match looks like crap in my opinion,
mirror tint is the worst

I figured bumping this thread was better than making a new one, but I'm agreeing with Rich now.

This mismatch looks like crap and I can't stand it anymore. I'm thinking about getting the front re-done and a new tint applied. So, I should ask for bronze tint at 20 percent?

my 97 has the stock dark tint like the 98 and up. i didnt like the bronze tint the earlier models had

That looks nice! :thumbsup:

That's how I imagined mine would like. You see how that turned out. :mad:

Back