I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I just got back from a visit down in Raleigh NC
but on the way home I took a little vacation and set up camp at Loft Mountain right there on Sky Line Drive in The Shenandoah Mountains in Vriginia.

Let me tell you, Sky Line Drive is one of the most amazing, breath taking, georgous drives you can ever go on.

What am I saying ?

I am saying wash your Ex, grab your camera and take a drive. It is truly an experiance.

Oh, before you off roaders get too excited, it is Federally Protected Land. I would stay on the smooth surfaces. :)

BTW it costs $10.00 each way. You can back track on I-81 if I am not mistaken.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sky Line drive is gorgeous...

Charlottesville (home) is only 45 min from Afton mountain and I usually would go south on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The parkway is free and goes through the GWNF and JNF, with great views, and plenty of places to wheel/camp if you have a good map ;)

But I do agree with you. if anyone wants to see some beautiful foliage, run the parkway or skyline drive right now b/c its almost peak foliage time in VA.

I love my homestate of Virginia! :)

Yeah, its pretty nice...

We did the drive when we were evacuated from teh OBX in September and didnt want to completely scrap our vacation....

Nice ride......would have been BEAUTIFUL on my motorcycle.... :)

DZ

Originally posted by MONMIX
I just got back from a visit down in Raleigh NC
but on the way home I took a little vacation and set up camp at Loft Mountain right there on Sky Line Drive in The Shenandoah Mountains in Vriginia.

Let me tell you, Sky Line Drive is one of the most amazing, breath taking, georgous drives you can ever go on.

What am I saying ?

I am saying wash your Ex, grab your camera and take a drive. It is truly an experiance.

Oh, before you off roaders get too excited, it is Federally Protected Land. I would stay on the smooth surfaces. :)

BTW it costs $10.00 each way. You can back track on I-81 if I am not mistaken.

yeah I saw a LOT of Harleys on that trip.

As far as peak folliage, all the higer places already had bear trees.
I camped at Loft Mountian and all the leaves were down.

Some lower elevation had the colors going on though

Yea, the wife and I came up the Blue Ridge Parkway in upper NC for a couple of hours on Sunday. It is basically the same thing as Skyline Drive. GREAT ride!!! I think a lot of areas of the Blue Ridge got thier colors early this year, then dropped. We spent the weekend in western NC and there were a lot of bare trees, when it should have been peak color season.

We saw a lot of Motorcyles on it also, just as many bikes as cars. I was thinking that is must have been a charity ride or something. I know the Richmond March of Dimes "Ride For Babies" was Saturday.

I'll be down in November

Back