Temp gauge not working

Punko

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
First question for me.

Anyways, the temp gauge on my 95 Explorer XL does not move to the 1/2 way point.

When I start the truck it is at 0 then moves up about 1/4 of the way.

Truck is not overheating, heat into the passenger compartment is great and the thermostat has been changed.

What could be causing this odd less than normal temp reading?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long ago was the thermostat changed? Did it work better after that? Are you sure it was installed properly because it still sounds like a thermostat problem.

I have a similar problem with a 96. Heat is fine but the gauge was always showing 1/4 ish or less. Changed the thermostat and the temp is a bit higher but no way near the middle or there abouts. I suspect that the gauge "accuracy" is lacking or possibly the second therm is not much better than the old. I was hoping for it to be higher as on our GM Olds, the therm was open and resulted in lower temp (and little heat) but also significantly reduced gas mileage. Replaced the therm and now the temp is "rock steady" in about the middle and the gas mileage is back up to normal (almost great). I figure my ex has a similar condition. I might try running a test with no therm and see what the gauge registers.... if its lower than with a therm, then I figure everything is probably alright, if its the same or similar, then maybe the replacement therm isn't much better than the previous unit and needs to be returned / replaced.

Hi Punko,
My 97 SOHC temp gauge never go beyond one-third. The thermostat was replaced about nine months ago because the old one got stuck and the temp gauge shot right up to High after 20 minutes of driving. I would not worry as long as long as the reading stays at one-third.

You can test the guage by grounding out the sending unit wire with the ignition on. The gauage should peg all the way to H. If that works, I'd try another Tstat.

Poor electrical connections at the sending unite or someplace in the wiring harness would also though off the temp gauge. Try to verify the temperature with another known good thermometer, say one of those remote reading ones. That way you will have a better idea of what is going on.

Back