Tensioner "knocks" very loudly when AC is on. Stops immediately when I turn it off. PLEASE HELP! - watch video | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tensioner "knocks" very loudly when AC is on. Stops immediately when I turn it off. PLEASE HELP! - watch video

Momma Dulce

Reaction score
City, State
Cave Creek, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited 4x4
Hello!

I am at my wit's end with this problem! I've taken it to two mechanics. I know one has replaced the tensioner and serpentine belt., The other said he did... I'm not so sure he really did. AC compressor, condenser, and flow (something) were changed under an extended warranty at a local shop. My mechanic couldn't do the repair because he works out of his home. Shortly after that, a very loud knocking sound started happening. My guy changed the tensioner. The noise started back soon after. I took it to the shop that did the warranty work and they said they changed the tensioner and belt as well. The noise came back. I've taken it to the shop about six times trying to get it resolved or diagnosed before their warranty expired. No luck. On one occasion, they said they changed the compressor (again) to appease me. I've asked them to email me the repair history.

The noise only happens when the AC is on and stops immediately when I turn it off. It is so loud that people turn to look at the car when it is on! I'm in Arizona and it is freaking hot... I find myself driving with the AC turned off because I'm afraid something bad is going to happen while I'm driving. To me it looks like the belt is wearing unevenly...

I'm including 2 videos so you can see and hear what it's doing! I'm NOT a mechanic, but I'm trying to figure it out! Please help me!

Tensioner knocking when Compressor increases load

Tensioner and Serpentine belt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a belt one size smaller that's what I'd do
Worth a try
The belt stretches aka break in
Added the AC
I've seen this happen on lots of makes and models
What's the part numbers off the current belt

Can you verify the compressor was replaced? Looks new etc. Sounds to me like ac locking up. You can get bad new parts. If your stopped idle. Kick the ac on does the rpms drop like a big load hit it?

You may need to get a lawyer involved, if the extended warranty company won't pay for another /different shop to fix this ridiculous situation.

You may need to get a lawyer involved, if the extended warranty company won't pay for another /different shop to fix this ridiculous situation.
The extended warranty paid for the original repair. I am considering some legal support though against the shop. I asked for a copy of my service records. They indicated that they changed the condenser and flow whatever... Specified that the warranty company denied the compressor. I called the warranty company and they sent me copies of what they paid and it included the compressor!

The shop manager said they made an error in the notes (convenient), that they had indeed changed it. Manager also said he had changed the tensioner, but records do not show that. I took it back three weeks ago and he bluntly asked, "what do you want me to do?" I replied, "Fix it." He then said he would re-replacw the compressor but if it came back as not defective, he would have to "eat" the loss. Today he told me it was not defective and that the shop "ate" the cost for the not defective compressor.

There is no mention of a compressor being replaced, let alone twice. It is now past their warranty period in the repair.

I don't know what to do.

Can you verify the compressor was replaced? Looks new etc. Sounds to me like ac locking up. You can get bad new parts. If your stopped idle. Kick the ac on does the rpms drop like a big load hit it?
Hello, I can't confirm. It's not listed anywhere on my service records. My daughter is out with my car. I'll check when she gets back.

Shop manager said the best thing that could happen would be for the tensioner to actually freeze up/break to confirm that that was the problem!

It is now past their warranty period in the repair.
That does not matter, only that you have documented proof that it was taken in for this problem before the warranty had expired.

That does not matter, only that you have documented proof that it was taken in for this problem before the warranty had expired.
Screenshot_20230729-220918_Maps.jpg

These are my visits regarding the same thing... Minus the 2018 one. I don't have other proof though. They didn't give me receipts.

I don't know what to make of that. I always get receipts/documentation of everything.

I still say its got a stretched belt on it the belt is to long

In theory yea the tensioner could get stuck but that would still only be one knock not just keep knocking. I can take a video of mine if you want om my old x when ac kicks you see tensioner jump once then stay because tension is steady until tension changes again if somthing is making it jump and bump a pulley compressor etc is locking up some bearing is going out whatever. As Donald's sais a stretched belt could cause excess flop and cause the tensioner to bounce as well. Let us know what idle does.

The tensioner should not be moving like that. It appears something is putting uneven strain on the belt, causing the tensioner to wobble. That noise is strange, almost like a bearing has failed. Maybe the pully is bad?

One thing for certain, I would not use that shop anymore.

The tensioner should not be moving like that. It appears something is putting uneven strain on the belt, causing the tensioner to wobble. That noise is strange, almost like a bearing has failed. Maybe the pully is bad?

One thing for certain, I would not use that shop anymore.
I won't be going back there for sure! The noise and wobbling stops immediately when I turn the AC off.

The compressor puts load on the belt, I'd be looking at everything else that the belt routes around. Also, I agree that belt looks a size too large. I'm not far from 85331, I'd be willing to meet you in a public place with cameras to look at it, if you want.

The compressor puts load on the belt, I'd be looking at everything else that the belt routes around. Also, I agree that belt looks a size too large. I'm not far from 85331, I'd be willing to meet you in a public place with cameras to look at it, if you want.
That could be very helpful!

What a nice guy

That could be very helpful!
I get the feeling that extended warranty was not a Ford ESP and also that you have not taken the vehicle to a Ford dealership. Is that correct?

Peter

I get the feeling that extended warranty was not a Ford ESP and also that you have not taken the vehicle to a Ford dealership. Is that correct?

Peter
Unfortunately you are correct. The warranty paid what the shop diagnosed right away. The warranty has since expired. I didn't go to the dealership because it was not convenient. This is a neighborhood shop and has good reviews. However, since this issue has happened, I've met many people who have had terrible experiences with them.

Expensive lesson learned. Now I just need to get this fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately you are correct. The warranty paid what the shop diagnosed right away. The warranty has since expired. I didn't go to the dealership because it was not convenient. This is a neighborhood shop and has good reviews. However, since this issue has happened, I've met many people who have had terrible experiences with them.

Expensive lesson learned. Now I just need to get this fixed.
Is there an automotive shop in the area that deals/specializes in vehicle HVAC issues?

Peter

Back