tgrfly's '03 X Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tgrfly's '03 X Limited

Here is just a little start on a project log. Not a whole lot is going to happen with the truck.

This is my starting place.

4_10151079676715217_594405216_22079478_411516463_o.jpg

First thing I did was I had to replace the driver's side tail light because it was cracked when I purchased the truck. Then after I got the new one I VHT'd them. Came out GREAT!

DSC_0879.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

Next thing I did was attempted to paint my headlight housings black, and failed. So I ended up buying a new set of black housing headlights and also black housing clear corner lights. I also took the billet grille that was in the truck and pulled it out and painted it black. The black on the top and bottom of each billet strip was flaking off so I needed to do something with it to cover it up. Very happy with the way everything turned out.

1_10151171669385217_594405216_22509519_977922645_o.jpg

I also ordered HIDs from DDM Tuning. I ordered 55w 8000K lights for my headlights and 35w 6000K for my fog lights. I also ordered a set of Switchback LEDs for my corner lights. Love the way everything looks lit up. I have yet to get a picture of everything, so once I do I will post it up.

I also got my HU from my car and designed a 4th order box for my 2 SA8s and my AQ1200-D.

*Note: Clear section is not clear. Done to show internal build*
explorerbandpass-1.jpg

explorerbandpass.png

IMG952011122095233919_2.jpg

IMG_20111221_211417.jpg

I need to get some better pictures of the box. Fits perfect and sounds great. The box is also mostly carpeted now. I need to buy a sheet of coverboard to finish the front side of the box where the amp is.

Also planning on purchasing new 20"s ASAP with my tax returns and the money I am saving up from my new job.

Planning on purchasing these:
S816_BLACK_STD.jpg

And I'm stuck on the tires. Really leaning towards the Toyo Proxes STII, but also looking at the Falken Ziex S/TZ04. My grandparents have the Toyos on their Mariner and they said they are a great tire and are really quiet. Tire size will be 275/45/20.

Project for way down the road for any audio people is upgrading my current setup to 2 12" DC Audio M2 Lvl 4s and either a American Bass 200.1 or a DC Audio 3.5K. Not sure on a box yet. Thinking about a bandpass, but also thinking about a standard slot port box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I finally got everything figured out.

A guy I work with, his dad had a set of 20s that he took the tires off of. The tires are the right size, 275/45/20, and are Goodyear Eagle GTs. Tires are about 50-60% tread and he's asking $150. Trying to at least get him down to $125.

I also went back and fourth between a couple local tire places and I got Discount Tire to give me a price of $885 for wheels, mounting, balancing, lugs, taxes, and all. Wheels won't ship until the 15th which is no big deal because I'm not in a big hurry. That would let me save up a little bit of extra cash before I shell the big bucks.

Once I get the tires I'll post some pictures and then likewise with the wheels and tires on. Stay tuned.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So there has been a slight change in plans. I went in and put a deposit down on the set of Status Knight 5 wheels yesterday morning. I was all excited, having a great day, until Discount had to call me and piss on my parade. The guy I spoke with that morning calls and tells me that the wheels that were said to fit and that would ship on March 15th were the wrong offset, and would not fit. The set that would fit the truck had a 40-60 day waiting period on them. @$%& So I tell the guy I'm gonna get on the computer and look at some more wheels and I'll give him a call back. I start looking and I find a set of wheels and I call him back and have him check on them, they are also back ordered. At this point, my head is hanging, and I'm down in the dumps. I tell him that unfortunately there's no other wheels I'm very interested in and I'll have to just get a refund back on my deposit. So naturally he can't do it without my card so I have to go in this morning (Friday) and get my refund.

Well while I was sitting at home after all this went down I got on eBay and started looking. Well I found a pretty decent deal on the second set of wheels I asked Discount to check on, which after looking at them more and more, I liked them more than the original set. Of course, the ad that I find though is for the wrong bolt pattern. Well I decide to try and call them for ***** and giggles to see if they could possibly get them and.... they were closed so I had to call this morning. Well I just got off the phone with them and I made a purchase. 4 20x9" Status Game S805 wheels shipped to me for $765. Guy told me that he orders directly from the manufacture and he said they had 10 wheels in stock so there shouldn't have been any reason for them to be backordered. He even called and verified before we put the order through that they had them. Good man

Here they are:
Status_Game_S805_Black_2.jpg

And here are a set of 22s on a silver Wrangler:
Status-Game-S085-22x9-black-machined-1000px1.jpg

Guy said it should take about 3 days to get to me. So about Wednesday they should be here and I'll have to buy the tires from the guy I work with soon so I can get everything taken care of ASAP. Now I'm excited!

Got the tires. All I'm waiting for is the wheels to show up.

DSC_0899.jpg

DSC_0905.jpg

DSC_0903.jpg

The only bad spot
DSC_0898.jpg

I had the same tires on my Explorer when I first bought 20's(275/45/20) and they were worn a little more than yours. I used them for about a year before switching to Hankook Ventus ST RH06 tires(275/45/20) and LOVE them! So when you can afford to switch up, those are what I recommend because the are inexpensive and have a 50,000 mile warranty;)

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the Falken Zeix before I decided on buying the used tires. Just didn't have the extra cash to dish out at the time. These will get me through this year and maybe through next so hopefully by then I can afford some real rubber.

So I'm finally getting around to getting this put up. Friday I received my wheels from my neighborhood FedEX man.

DSC_0907.jpg

DSC_0908.jpg

DSC_0909.jpg

So then I had to figure out how to get everything to Discount Tire so I could get everything installed. The plan was to have my buddy help me out, but he bailed on me so I did some experimenting. Found out I could fit everything in my truck, BARELY, but it fit, so off to Discount I went.

DSC_0910.jpg

DSC_0911.jpg

I gotta say I love the outcome. Glad I went with the 7-spoke vs. the 5-spoke. Enough blabbering, here's the outcome...

DSC_0912.jpg

DSC_0915.jpg

DSC_0917.jpg

DSC_0919.jpg

DSC_0916.jpg

Comments? Concerns? Complains?

I like it! Nice to see another X getting setup for the street instead of the dirt:D

If you don't use the roof rack and don't plan to, then I'd remove it. Easy to do(15min) and if you don't like it, it's just as easy to reinstall.

I kinda like the roof rack. Think it would look naked without it. Maybe one of those things that I take it off to see if I like it for a few days and then if I don't like it with it off, put it back on.

Here's mine to give you an idea-

100_1795.jpg

I think yours does look good on there, but I'm curious to see how it looks with it off. Like you said, if it doesn't work, toss it back on.

Love the wheels you decided on, they look really nice. I think you should keep the roof rack on, It goes with your car. In my opinion the no roof rack look only looks good on certain colors and styles. But the roof rack looks great on yours, keep it.

I didn't plan on it going anywhere. Had that discussion with my Grandpa the other day. Just doesn't look right without it. I will probably be doing the exhaust in a few weeks. Any suggestions?

Next things on my list

-Changing the exhaust (Flowmaster 40 & a dual double wall tip)
-Blue LED interior lighting (foot wells, front and back, vents, and cup holders)
-Finishing the front panel of my sub box

Got all the LEDs installed tonight besides the cluster lights. I must have mis-read, but I ordered the wrong lights for the cluster so I will have to return the ones I ordered and re-order the right ones. Very happy with the way everything turned out though.

I'm normally don't approve of fancy rims and the like but damn, that just looks nice!

Ok so here are the pictures of the LEDs I installed in the interior. Gauge cluster is still to be done. There is also a LED in each of the middle vents in the radio bezel that is hidden by the steering wheel.

DSC_0922.jpg

DSC_0925.jpg

And then I had two left over so I put those in behind the grille. Need to rewire it so I have it on a switch, but this will do for right now.

DSC_0930.jpg

Also took the roof rack off the other day and wasn't sure about it, but its grown on me.

4_10151545331625217_594405216_23850101_481717291_o.jpg

Wow....wow...wow! Beautiful Explorer! Looks way better without the rack too.

So there has been a slight change in plans. I went in and put a deposit down on the set of Status Knight 5 wheels yesterday morning. I was all excited, having a great day, until Discount had to call me and piss on my parade. The guy I spoke with that morning calls and tells me that the wheels that were said to fit and that would ship on March 15th were the wrong offset, and would not fit. The set that would fit the truck had a 40-60 day waiting period on them. @$%& So I tell the guy I'm gonna get on the computer and look at some more wheels and I'll give him a call back. I start looking and I find a set of wheels and I call him back and have him check on them, they are also back ordered. At this point, my head is hanging, and I'm down in the dumps. I tell him that unfortunately there's no other wheels I'm very interested in and I'll have to just get a refund back on my deposit. So naturally he can't do it without my card so I have to go in this morning (Friday) and get my refund.

Well while I was sitting at home after all this went down I got on eBay and started looking. Well I found a pretty decent deal on the second set of wheels I asked Discount to check on, which after looking at them more and more, I liked them more than the original set. Of course, the ad that I find though is for the wrong bolt pattern. Well I decide to try and call them for ***** and giggles to see if they could possibly get them and.... they were closed so I had to call this morning. Well I just got off the phone with them and I made a purchase. 4 20x9" Status Game S805 wheels shipped to me for $765. Guy told me that he orders directly from the manufacture and he said they had 10 wheels in stock so there shouldn't have been any reason for them to be backordered. He even called and verified before we put the order through that they had them. Good man

Here they are:
Status_Game_S805_Black_2.jpg

And here are a set of 22s on a silver Wrangler:
Status-Game-S085-22x9-black-machined-1000px1.jpg

Guy said it should take about 3 days to get to me. So about Wednesday they should be here and I'll have to buy the tires from the guy I work with soon so I can get everything taken care of ASAP. Now I'm excited!

you are building a nice little street truck there, but someone just demolished that JEEP!

Maybe im wrong but I think if you painted your lower valance to match it would look pretty suave.

Nice truck!

Back