The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree, I will try to buy from the local auto parts store if I can, but when parts are 100% more than the prices I get from somewhere like Rockauto (based in Michigan) I'm gonna go with them. This radiator was 101 from Rockauto and 149.99 from oreilly, I can't imagine what the local Napa or Carquest would want for it. And these are the same brands and manufacturers.

Oh no I'm with you on that Jon, I'm just talking about in general. We try to buy from local companies as much as we can.

I was talking to Rusty

Oh, I am with you Jon. Sometimes they price match. Sometimes you cannot afford to buy local. My funds are low and I can only do what I can do. I talked with a friend today. He worked at the plant I used to, same area different shift. We made weekly what we do biweekly. I hate the way the economy is right now!!

Cage? Can't post the dude eating popcorn. None left in my geographical location, I depleted the entire area of popcorn waiting for the cage lol. Might have to buy my own Kettle corn machine, in that case, take as long as you like.

we have 2 jeeps to do gearsets on and a TJ to put an explorer 8.8 in, and then we have to do a new Cage on Erics rig because he has a moab trip coming up the beginning of September. I just haven't been thinking about my cage since I have been fighting this fuel problem. I got my new in tank pump in yesterday, when I put it in I found the positive connector was super loose. Not sure that was my problem but I fixed it. I don't want to continue fighting this shiz though so I am going to rewire the whole circuit, and then I am gonna run all new lines too. After the damn thing runs I will go get the halo bar and start getting the roof ready for it to go in.

862-83D997D0FDA0-5388-000005B95B1DD993_zpsc32e3f7d.jpg

7EB-62A0685D7F06-5388-000005B95246C618_zpsa3868525.jpg

381-5B8C5AB4E972-5388-000005B96B339ADA_zps1ad063db.jpg

744-2C6D39DA6A13-5388-000005B963195596_zps6325eb08.jpg

3B7-844E877D0CF2-5388-000005B97B45FAD2_zps3107d02d.jpg

just got the back 2 to do, I did the spare first to try it out. I really hope this makes my Krawlers grip better, lot of work if it doesn't

Sure is aggressive looking. Can't imagine not working.

If you don't like them, they would work real well on truck!!

it's been a while since I posted but good things are happening. I have had the Bdos out at my dads so I could wheel my rock trail whenever I wanted but today I went out and drove it home. There are a few things that need addressed, my knuckles wowed themselves out where I reamed them, but I have some tapered inserts to weld in and fix that problem, I actually started getting some death wobble on the way home that I didn't have before.

I have noticed that with how low I am I get hung up on my frame a lot more than other people, so I am going to go up in the front 1.5" and 2" in the back, I can just move my adjustable coil buckets but on the back I am going to just build longer shackles. On my rear axle I am going to get a heim and build a traction bar, I really need to get my axle wrap under control.

and the big one is that now we have some free space in the shop so after we clean up a bit I can get the Bdos in there to finish the cage. already have the halo bar just need to bend a few more tubes and put some gussets together, I think I have about 2 solid days left to have a full cage in the rig.

I've been fishing a lot this summer so I haven't gotten as much wheeling done but I should get a lot done this fall on the crawler.

Sounds like you'll have some wintertime projects. Hope to get out this fall and do some Trout fishing.

Sounds like you'll have some wintertime projects. Hope to get out this fall and do some Trout fishing.

yeah I just got word that I will have a bigtime winter project, we found a hp d44 from a early 70s F100, the plan is to narrow it, put more modern outers on it and have myself a bad ass axle, pretty excited about that, I love this kind of stuff.

was gonna lift the rig this week but the leaf spring bushings are stuck on the bolts and I couldn't find replacement bushings that will be here by tomorrow night, so the new shackles will be a week or 2 away. instead I put some protection on my diff covers, they have been taking a beating, and the 8.8 was actually hitting the ring gear lol, here are some pics
7C-335B7C41FFF3-11210-00000A33FA63C11F_zpsa115112d.jpg
F2-FB4AD7468F1F-11210-00000A340F6F26FC_zpsbf381b69.jpg

39-7350F13846E9-11210-00000A34176AA8A2_zpsfe8cb64f.jpg

the cage will worked on maybe next weekend, we still need to clean the shop up and get ready for tube work, it actually isn't that far off, need to get the halo bar in and the A pillars, then most of the rest I can bring home to finish.

Yeah Rick I live next to the confluence of 2 major trout rivers, the southfork of the snake is my home river and the Henry's fork is really famous for its bug hatches, with that kind of water so close I can't not hit up the fly fishing action, I went to Henry's lake near Yellowstone park with my uncle, he retired from caterpillar and now he just lives up there and fishes every day in the summer. this is a 23" 4lb cutthroat I landed on a 5wt fly rod
04-A0CA10920546-11210-00000A391CD1C3F0_zps52ef99a7.jpg

Kept scrolling back from trout to diff cover patch, but ultimately the trout won. Don't get me wrong, the patch job is a thing of beauty. Glad you use the more fish friendly net then the old string nets.
I still use the same fly rod that bought when I was a kid back in what they called Jr high school. I think it's so old that it's turning into a piece of petrified wood lol.
Caught trout from the western states to Maine and even in eastern Canada on it.
Took a fly tying class back in the Jr High and never lost the need to fish. This fall I'll use some home made flys. Mostly terrestrials like the Letort Cricket and the Muddler minnow which can be fished like as terrestrial.

Yeah I practice catch and realease almost exclusively, the only exception being rainbows in the southfork which are considered an invasive species and threaten the native yellowstone cutthroat population. The muddler minnow is one of those classic patterns, I caught that guy on a woolly bugger variant called the crystal bugger, just tied with crystal flash chenile instead of black or green. That one was the biggest fish we boated that day, but my uncle told me it was average size for the lake haha. The fall is a great time for fly fishing, no one is out, the browns are spawning and love to hit streamers, and the other fish are taking BWO's all over the place.

lets be honest man, that diff cover is ugly as all hell hahah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

btw I broke my cabelas flyrod i've been using since I started fishing, so i'm having a buddy in MT build me a rod, its going to be an MHX blank, which he says are comparable to Sage in quality, and it isn't costing me more than 200$ including his labor. just like everything else it seems that building your own is really the way to go.

Back