How to: - The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
See #15 and #17 above. Yours works the same way.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

05 V8 Auto4x4

Thats great I will give a try (maybe this weekend)

So does this mod help your mpg any?

rebel3.0 said:
So does this mod help your mpg any?

Nope. All the front drivetrain components must still rotate. No mileage savings to be had, just manual control over the transfer case function.

-Joe

oic thanks for the reply

Another happy member ! (newbie) Thanks ! Where do I mail the check ?
I stumbled on this while trying to diagnose a problem I'm having with my '96.
It didn't fix my problem, but I've got 2WD now and it cost @ $4.00 and less than 1 hr. of my time, thanks to you.
B.t.w., 2 u-shaped pieces of coat hanger wire will work to get the radio out.
Insert them @ 1/8" past the point of resistance, push them away from each other, and pull the radio out.
Nice job posting that info. The Web can be a beautiful thing.
I'll post for help with my problem elsewhere.
Thanks again !

:) Another satisfied customer! :)

I'm sure this was discussed in the original brown mod description, but I think I may have missed it, will this mod work on a 97 Mountaineer V8 AWD? Thanks for your help.

Third, let me make this perfectly clear: If you have a second-generation V-8 with All Wheel Drive, this mod does not work for you.

I thought that was pretty clear.

I have a 1996. If I wire the SPDT on-on switch as stated and send power to the brown wire, I am sending power both ways in the brown wire correct? I am trying to understand why I need a double throw switch if both leads from the brown wire are attached to the center post and the power wire to one of the other post of the double throw. I know very little about electrical stuff so I may be completely misunderstanding here. I had to go to another site to even learn what a SPDT ON-ON switch was exactly :)

No problem... good question.

SPDT stands for Single Pole, Double Throw. That means there is one set of contacts (single pole) and two possible contact positions (double throw). An SPDT switch can be on-on, on-off-on, or off-on-on depending on how it's built. In your case, I would recommend an on-on switch, although an on-off-on switch will work just fine (you'll just never have a need for the off position).

The picture above was of a DPDT switch, meaning there are TWO sets of contacts (Dual Pole) and two positions for them to make contact.

Ordinarily, a DPDT switch would be used to use a single power source connected to the center terminal(s) to power item A or item B depending on which way the switch is thrown. For our purposes, we want the switch to select power source A or power source B and send that power out to the transfer case. Essentially we're wiring the switch up 'backwards', but it works just fine for what we're asking it to do. Make sense?

In the sketch above, if we call A the top terminals and B the bottom terminals, when we throw the switch to the A side, we connect the existing brown wire to the transfer case clutch coil. When we switch it to the B side, we connect the fused 12V power source to the TCCC, locking the transfer case in at 100% duty cycle.

(On a side note, even though the case is locked, on a 95 and 96, the dash selector switch still needs to be set to AUTO for the front axle to lock in)

Make sense?

Hope that helps!

Ok, I finally got the time to complete the BWM on my 2005 X Limited V8.

I found the Brown wire on the passenger side under the door sill plate. See picture below:
IMG_0177web.jpg

I used some quick disconnects to run the wire for the switch to my center console. You can see the rats nest of wires below:
IMG_0175web.jpg

IMG_0176web.jpg

And here is the finished product:
IMG_0184web.jpg

IMG_0186web.jpg

Thanks for all the great info and help… I can now smoke the rear tires :burnout:

so i did the BWM and i used a lighted switch only to find out its lit ALL THE TIME so in my think the case has power all the time so even tho it isnt 100% 4X4 am i always running some 4X4 (i took it over up to 70 cause i no it doesnt go to 2wd untill after 35)

so i did the BWM and i used a lighted switch only to find out its lit ALL THE TIME so in my think the case has power all the time so even tho it isnt 100% 4X4 am i always running some 4X4

This is normal. If you read the first section, I explained how the system works, stating that the TOD relay varies the duty cycle to the transfer case clutch coil. Notice how your light gets brighter and dimmer as the driving conditions vary? That's the system varying the duty cycle and, therefore, the current applied to the clutch. You're running in 2wd until the system puts enough power to the clutch to lock the front driveshaft.

(i took it over up to 70 cause i no it doesnt go to 2wd untill after 35)

It never goes into true 2wd. Stomp the go-pedal at 75, and you'll see the light get bright (and in some cases feel the transfer case engaging and disengaging). The system is always monitoring the wheel speeds, engine load, and throttle position.

-Joe

16202switch.jpg

Connect the wires as shown here: (this shows a DPDT switch, could someone shoot me a drawing of a SPDT switch? I don't have the patience for Microsoft Paint!!!)

I don't know if this has been covrered, but a SPDT switch would function the same as above, just connect the 12v source wire below the TCC wire. Like this:

This would work for both the On-Off-On switch, and the On-On switch. How it works:
brownwire95-96.jpg

Switch up (GEM and TCCC pins connected): functions as normal. 2WD, 4WD Auto, and 4WD Low.
Switch Center (Off position, only on On-Off-On switch): TCCC remains disengaged. 2WD is still 2WD, 4WD Auto is 2WD, and 4 Low is 2 Low.
Switch Down (TCCC con nected to switched 12v source): TCCC remains permanently engaged. 2WD is 4WD, 4WD Auto is 4WD, and 4 Low is 4 Low.

I also tried to make an idiot-proof diagram for the 97-01s (I used a standard pintout for a lgihted switch that can be purchased at Autozone for pennies):
brownwire97-01.jpg

This should allow the GEM to flash the light (through ground), and the switch to Interrupt the signal to the TCCC in the Off position.

Hope this helps!

I don't know if this has been covrered,

It was. Post #9.... But thanks for the diagrams.

There are a number of different switches that will work, it just depends on how you want the system to function.

i have question about t-case. when decelrating, noise in reverse sometimes . can i use Brown Wire Mod fix this ploblem before go to rebuild ?

thank you,

Last edited:

wooohhhhh the mounty is a lot of fun on gravel roads now!;) :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back