How to: - The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Again, it was in the first post:

Now, this is the point of no return. Clip the brown wire that goes UP AND TO THE LEFT from the splice as shown here:
546942.jpg

The wire from the top right comes from the TOD relay, and the wire from the bottom comes from the GEM. The one that exits top-left is the wire that feeds to the TCCC.

It does, indeed, sound like you may have mis-wired it, possibly, please explain exactly what it's doing with which switches in what positions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As it pertains to my truck a 98 5.0L xlt what exactly will I get out of this mod????? 4wd low??????

Sheesh!! Does anyone read the write-up, or do they just look at the pictures and post?

From the sixth paragraph of the write-up (it's even in bold):
Third, let me make this perfectly clear: If you have a second-generation V-8 with All Wheel Drive, this mod does not work for you.

I did read it by the way and it seemed to say to different conflicting things.

Sheesh!! Does anyone read the write-up, or do they just look at the pictures and post?

From the sixth paragraph of the write-up (it's even in bold):

I did read it by the way and it seemed to say to different conflicting things.

Was there something confusing about my statement? If I can make it any clearer, please let me know how. It was in the original post, in bold... I don't know how else I can make it any less conspicuous... Maybe 36 point in flashing red?

SOrry.... sarcasm... We now return to our regularly scheduled modding...

I was thinking about this mod to add 4hi to my 96 EB. The late 90s expedition has a rotary switch under the A/C vent that has 4 ranges. 2H, AUTO, 4Hi, 4LO.

Switch at Rockauto:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1119596,parttype,4412,a,Ad Code FRc1119596k944894

I wonder if it could be a drop in. I'm going to investigate its wiring in my Ford DVDs. I'm thinking 4H could be the direct 12V to the TC, everything else stays the same.

That switch will not work the way you want it to. The switch is simply a variable resistor. Based on the resistance the GEM sees from the switch, it determines which mode you're requesting. In other words, the GEM programming is the same regardless of which switch you use.

That switch will not work the way you want it to. The switch is simply a variable resistor. Based on the resistance the GEM sees from the switch, it determines which mode you're requesting. In other words, the GEM programming is the same regardless of which switch you use.

Understood, but some people may still want a stock look, and converting that switch even as a rheostat with basic electronics may not be impossible. I'm thinking out loud now. I'm assuming the the explorer switch is similar. Three positions may provide correct ohm resistance to the explorer GEM (possibly with a series or parallel correction resistor) and the 4th position can trigger a relay for the brown wire and provide the perceived resistance for say 2Hi. Sure its extra work, but it alleviates the DIY switch look.

That's well above and beyond the scope of this write-up. I would suggest that you start a new thread if you wish to pursue it. I understand what you're saying, and it *may* be possible, but it would take someone with far more electronics knowledge than I to make that work.

Ok. Noob here. First question.

From what i understand... I can get a 3 way switch ON-Off-ON... and i can have 2-lo AND 4wd Hi? I Have a 95' 2 Door sport... 2wd, A4wd, and 4wd lo. I figure ill be doing some towing and would need low range, but not 4wd. and other times, i may need full time 4wd, but not low range. So let me get this straight... and make sure. With the Brown Wire Mod... i can have 2wd Hi/lo 4wd hi/lo... AND A4wd? Can someone confirm this? If so... i am DEFINATELY doing this.

Ok. Noob here. First question.

From what i understand... I can get a 3 way switch ON-Off-ON... and i can have 2-lo AND 4wd Hi? I Have a 95' 2 Door sport... 2wd, A4wd, and 4wd lo. I figure ill be doing some towing and would need low range, but not 4wd. and other times, i may need full time 4wd, but not low range. So let me get this straight... and make sure. With the Brown Wire Mod... i can have 2wd Hi/lo 4wd hi/lo... AND A4wd? Can someone confirm this? If so... i am DEFINATELY doing this.

Yes, you are correct!

Good luck!

this is a pretty cool mod. i may just give this a go.

I Been Lookin For Somethin Like This And Now I Will Def Be Tryn It Later This Week

Allowing excessive wheel spin (e.g. roasting tires for a city block or running Control-Trac/BWM-equipped vehicles on a 2 wheel drive dynomometer) forces the transfer case clutch to slip. Excessive slipping causes a tremendous amount of shearing of the transmission fluid used in our transfer cases. This can result in burning of the clutches as well as the transfer case lubricating oil and is NOT recommended. Our systems are not designed to allow tire-roasting slippage of the transfer case clutch, and doing-so can result in major mechanical damage of the system which can require replacement of costly internal components of the transfer case. Again, make this modification at your own risk

Just be aware of the risks :)

Im doing this mod in my x, im using the wire under the driver seat, my question is, Im using a lighted switch, How is the best way to run the ground??

The ground should work off any metal thats somehow connected to the engine bay, if you have a test light take the aligator clip (if thats how your test light is) clip that to a piece of metal and then touch an area you know is positive and if the light lights, then you know you have a ground connection, The floor pan I think should work. Good luck.

ok so i'm thoroughly confused as to what the point of this mod is...

Its an easy way to convert to "2wd" -- as for the reasons to convert to 2wd, well most people try to do it to conserve gas, some do it to do a burnout (after considering the slight consequences), while others are switch crazy (like myself) and would prefer that even the spark plugs are individually switched from inside the cab (ok well maybe not me). Still there are others that, given the proper alignment of the Jupiter, the moon, and Earth, wake up one day and say to themselves, yes, I <put name here> will be doing a BWM today, for I am me, and I am determined, and self-empowered, and this is a new beginning in my life -- a revolution if you will, for the future is bright, and the world is new. And after proper execution of the BWM, the only question left is: where for, does the newborn go from here? For the 'net is vast and infinite.

I <put name here> will be doing a BWM today, for I am me, and I am determined, and self-empowered, and this is a new beginning in my life -- a revolution if you will, for the future is bright, and the world is new. And after proper execution of the BWM, the only question left is: where for, does the newborn go from here? For the 'net is vast and infinite.

ROFL where the heck did you get that line?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanna see what the inside of his truck looks like. Bet its almost like the instrument panel of a 747, :D

-mc

Back