The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

TestPoint

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 in an '82 Volvo
The '96 - '01 series of Explorers/Mountaineers seem to be a difficult era to get valid information on engine swaps. I just left a comment on the 'Everything You Wanted To Know About PATS' sticky thread that I now know to be incorrect and I thought that might be a good time to 'lay it all out'.

The '96 - '01 V8's evolved through a series of changes that make this engine/transmission, wiring harness, fuel injection/fuel rail system, fuel pump and PCM confusing if not difficult to move to another vehicle.

The objective is to clearly define, in one place, all the unique issues associated with those differences.

Here is what I think I know:

Generally, the engine and transmission remained unchanged through this period except for the fuel system changes noted.

BUT

The '96-'97 model years did not have PATS.

The '98 -'01 MY's did

The '96-'98 MY's used a 45 psi fuel rail/injection system and a rail mounted mechanical fuel pressure regulator and a fuel return line to the tank.

The '99-'01 MY's used a 65 psi fuel rail/injection system and a tank mounted pump and mechanical regulator without a fuel return line. This system added a tank mounted sensor to return a pressure signal to the PCM.

The wiring harness for the engine and transmission was unchanged in the '96-'97 MY's

The early '98 MY, some have referred to it as '97.5, had some harness changes as yet undefined. Based on the information provided in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3350589&postcount=198 there was a period of several months, build dates 11/96 - 03/97, where PATS was not implemented but the later fuel system was used.

The wiring harness changes for '99-'01 affected the main body to engine/transmission C115 connector, the injector connections and the engine/transmission connector. In short, if you are using an early engine and a late transmission, or vice versa, you are SOL or at least subject to a lot of posts on this forum trying to resolve the issues.

Specifically, the injectors AND the injector connectors are not the same '96-'98 and '99-'01

[edit note]
I thought it a good idea to update the original post with new information developed on this thread due to what has turned out to attract a significant number of posts.

The engine/transmission harness changed with the '98 MY. Details on the early/late wiring changes can be found in post #27 , #31 and #82 .

The Cam Shaft Position Sensor changed with the '98 MY. The early sensor was a powered 3 wire device with a single shielded connection to the PCM. The later was a 2 wire Hall Effect sensor with a connection to the same C202 PCM pin. The sensor is reported to have to be matched to the PCM i.e. early PCM/early sensor, late PCM/late sensor . . . but in post #26 DELEXPLODER has a late engine/cam position sensor running with an early non-PATS PCM. That seems reasonable as the sensor lead to the PCM is consistent from early to late.

After getting my engine to run I can definitively report that PATS in the '00 PCM can be turned off with a custom tune without either the PATS control module or a chipped key. By inference that should apply to the entire '98 through '01 systems.

Now, what I know I do not know;

Will a '96-'07 PATS-less PCM drive the '99-'01 higher fuel pressure systems with an external mechanical regulator?

Will a PATS-less PCM properly manage the fuel trim on a '99-'01 65 psi fuel system (assuming the addition of an external adjustable pressure regulator)

. . . and if so . . . what pressure should the regulator be adjusted to.

I have now posted more than I know . . . .

Corrections and comments appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motor Transplant ( not this again !!!)

x

'00 Explorer 302/4R70W C115 pin out

Here is the later firewall to engine harness (C115) pin out drawing. If someone could post a similar drawing of the early version perhaps we can effectively discuss the occasionally referenced changes necessary to merge the two harnesses.

fordc115connectorpinout-001.jpg

And here is a description of the circuits:

00ExplorerC115ConnectorPinOutDescription.jpg

CDW6212R made the following comments in the 'Everything you want to know about PATS sticky.

Be sure to get the 96-98 distributor(cam synchronizer) because 99-01 is a different two wire sensor.

1999+ fuel systems have an extra sensor/input required for the PCM, not ideal for swaps into other makes.

A few questions: What exactly is the cam synchronizer; a cam position sensor (?) and must it match the early/late PCM and is the harness itself capable of supporting both units? . . . and . . .

Is the tank mounted pressure sensor signal really necessary. What is the result of having a null, battery or ground on that lead to the PCM?

Like the 'Everything you want to know about PATS' thread this could become a sticky to address the larger engine/transmission swap questions.

Great thread... :thumbsup:

I'll post what I have as soon as I figure out what will work on my junk

For the fuel pressure pump question

AFAIK

The 99-01 fuel pump assembly basket has the regulator mounted in the tank. The pump motor itself has different port sizes.

Since the pressure is a mechanical control, I doubt if the PCM would actually know one pump from the other.

The camshaft position sensor times the fuel injector pulse and drives the oil pump.

Subscribing Tom, this is a great idea for a swap thread.

Jon is right about the pumps. The assemblies look almost the same, one just has a single fuel line going out(no return line), and a small inline FPR between the pump and the outlet.

I'd bet you can swap the pumps if the sock is the same or matched to the pump. Later Fords past the 2001 Explorer have more differences with pumps and pressure regulation, so beyond 2001 vehicles swaps have more issues to.

A few questions: What exactly is the cam synchronizer; a cam position sensor (?) and must it match the early/late PCM and is the harness itself capable of supporting both units? . . . and . . .

Is the tank mounted pressure sensor signal really necessary. What is the result of having a null, battery or ground on that lead to the PCM?

Like the 'Everything you want to know about PATS' thread this could become a sticky to address the larger engine/transmission swap questions.

The PCM used needs to have the matching distributor(cam synchronizer), because the signals are not the same type. So use a 96-98 PCM and cam synchronizer, or a 99-01 PCM and cam synchronizer.

That extra "tank mounted pressure sensor signal" will be needed for the 99-01 computers, but not for the earlier models.

I would bet that the 96-98 computer can be programmed to work with your choice of fuel pressure, thus letting you run the later engine FPR stuff, without that late sensor.

This is why many swaps have been done with the older return type fuel systems, there is less of extra parts and sensors needed from donor vehicles.

I would bet that the 96-98 computer can be programmed to work with your choice of fuel pressure, thus letting you run the later engine FPR stuff, without that late sensor.

Hoping this is true. Thanks for all the input. Watching closely.

I'll be trying the new pump and sock from my nonreturn 99 pump on my old 97 sohc return sending unit before I put it back in. I'll let you guys know how that goes. I guess my truck will cover alot of questions for this thread. 97 sport 4.0 sohc swap to 99 5.0 drive train with 98 motor harness 97 pcm an 96 ( just noticed date code today) fuel rail and injectors. Its a frankinploder!

I'll be trying the new pump and sock from my nonreturn 99 pump on my old 97 sohc return sending unit before I put it back in. I'll let you guys know how that goes. I guess my truck will cover alot of questions for this thread. 97 sport 4.0 sohc swap to 99 5.0 drive train with 98 motor harness 97 pcm an 96 ( just noticed date code today) fuel rail and injectors. Its a frankinploder!

Do that but leave out the 99+ FPR which is with that newer pump. You don't want two FPR's on the car, fighting each other.

The pumps themselves are extremely common, almost any pump from the first EFI Ford to the early 2000's when a PCM change happened, can be swapped. The intended pressure and volume of them all is basically the same, they can work on any stock Ford EFI engine of any model, given the same sock and outlet sizes.

I'm not saying that the parts are identical and you can bolt in any pump from any Ford etc. I mean that there is no meaningful pressure or volume difference. There are lots of posts all over the world asking if a V6 pump could be used for a V8 etc, for any EFI Ford ever made. Ford simply made different socks and had slight variations of the pumps body and inlet/outlet sizes, but until the fuel system change after the 1999 change, they are all basically the same unit. Meaning if you can make one fit physically, it will do the job.

OK, got around to looking up the CPS. Indeed, the early sensor is three wire, later is 2 wire. I have the complete Ford wiring book for the '00 MY. Anyone have the schematics for the CPS for the '96-'97 model years?

Originally posted by CDW6212R:

. . . The PCM used needs to have the matching distributor(cam synchronizer), because the signals are not the same type. So use a 96-98 PCM and cam synchronizer, or a 99-01 PCM and cam synchronizer.

I assume that we are talking about the sensor mounted in what used to be the distributor position and driven by the gear on the cam which also drives the oil pump.

Somewhere, somehow I found that the early Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) was 3 wire and the later was 2 wire. (RockAuto on-line parts catalog verified by the local Ford store) My '00 is, indeed, 2 wire. My '00 wiring diagram says that it is 2 wire (page 25-7).

I desperately need the PCM connector face drawing and the electrical schematic pages for '96-'97 model year for the CMP to know what to do with the missing wire. That is pages 25-7, 8, 9 and 10 in the later wiring book.

Pretty Please!

I thought that you got a 96-98 engine harness already, from Jon? You need the older harness mainly because of the different injector connectors. Are the EGR connectors the same have you noticed, for the early GT40 96-97.5 engines? I wonder that because I will be converting my Lincoln, and I will have to decide on which EGR version to use.

Not me, maybe someone else.

I have a complete '00 everything except for a '97 PCM trying to overcome PATS. I have the original '00 PCM also but I, James Henson and SCT combined were unable to overcome the PATS. Bought the early PCM as Plan 'B'.

If you have info on the EGR differences early/late this would be a wonderful place to post it.

[edit] The PCM reflash problems turned out to be erratic connections at the data port. James' tune worked fine after that was resolved.

1996 5.0 PCM pinout

. . .
I desperately need the PCM connector face drawing and the electrical schematic pages for '96-'97 model year for the CMP to know what to do with the missing wire. . .

Here's a link to a thread showing the 1996 5.0 PCM pinout: 1996 5.0 PCM pinout

I think I still have your email address. If so, I'll send you an electronic copy of the 1996 wiring diagrams that I downloaded off the internet a couple years ago. It's not as good as the official Ford wiring diagrams but it may help.

I really hope that you're able to solve your problems and get the "brick" driveable. You're so close to success. I was tempted to purchase a 2dr DL a while back but family circumstances prevented it.

THANK YOU! . . . Thank You! . . . thank you!

I can now create a spreadsheet with the pin numbers and functions displaying the differences for the two systems.

Email address is in the Member List information.

CMP sensor

The CMP sensor (also called synchronizer) on the V8 and OHV V6 is a hall effect sensor. It requires power (red wire to PCM power relay), chassis ground (black/white to chassis), and pulse output (dark blue/orange to PCM pin 85).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back