• Register Today It's free!

The one thing it can't do...

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
So I've had my Explorer now for almost 2 years. We've had our share of ups and downs but overall it's been a mostly pleasant experience. I must say I've been surprised more than once at it's ability to handle some of the stuff I've thrown at it - Most recently dragging an F150 with seized rear breaks. It accomplished this with nary a hiccup. The one thing that irritates me more than anything is on days like today when I have a big load of firewood back in the woods and I can't get a trailer back to it. If I had a ranger I could back right up to it and haul it out. Just not enough room for an Explorer and trailer.

Mostly though I'm honestly impressed with the abilities of these first gen Ex's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trust me, I have a ranger clone now. I love the truck, but 2 trips with the explorer is better than one with a ranger. If you want a dedicated work truck, its hard to beat an old f250 with straight 6. Nothing wrong with the ranger, and the drivetrain is nearly the same as an explorer, but for a DD, an open bed pickup sucks. I have a topper on mine and it is much better. At least we have some snow now here in central MN. We got over 6" out in Annandale, I heard it was less closer to St. Cloud. Watch for mud pits, I just got mine buried today in a mud pit that had crusted over with ice. It was all mud underneath. Then the ice chocks your wheels and you are stuck. It took a high lift jack (the sketchiest thing known to man), some boards and pull to get it out. I didn't even have a load at the time.

I would love a late 80's or early 90's Ford with the 300. Best engine ever for work unless you're doing some crazy stuff.
For most of the stuff I do the Ex does all I need it to. It does surprisingly well in the snow. I had to drive home in this last storm at 3 AM and outside of a couple slippery intersections that made it hard to get going it was great. Visibility was a different issue.
We ended up with about 6" a few miles north of Becker. Should be looking at another 6 or more tomorrow night.
I've debated whether or not I would go to a Ranger if the opportunity presented itself. My Grandpa always drove one and loved it but I've heard they'll get stuck in a puddle if you're not careful.

Mine is a regular cab short box. When I first got it, it would spin tires on gravel in 2wd just normal driving. 4x4 it did fine, but they are about the worst of the worst for winter driving. I have it modified so much now its not a good comparison, but a topper, and some sandbags in the back, and they do ok. The thing is that rangers come with open diffs in the rear a lot more often than explorers. That and having so much weight in front and nothing in the rear and you have a fish tailing box of death on ice. I always have about 200 pounds in the bed (jack, gas can, tow strap, tools, etc) as well as the topper which must be about 50 pounds. It really adds up. I added an under bed tire carrier with a full size spare, then put on a heavy duty hitch. I probably added 300 pounds to the rear from stock and took out a hundred from the front. Mine is a lot more balanced now. If you get the ranger, get the 4.0. A 4x4 with 2.3 is rare, and the 3.0 gets similar gas mileage with a big lag in power. The explorer tows better stock, from the beefier frame, beefier rear suspension, and heavier/balanced weight.

If you want a smaller pickup, I actually think the dodge dakota beats the ranger any day stock. The 3.9 would compare well to the 4.0 of the ranger, but its nothing special. 5.2 is a good motor, but the 4.7 is a great engine. Avoid the 5.9. Its bulletproof, but you won't see gas mileage in the teens. Our fullsize half ton dodge has the 5.9, and it will get about 8 mpg whether city, highway or towing. The 4.7 will get 18 mpg easy with the auto and 21 or so with the manual. It also make great power, and has a great history of being reliable. If you can stomach a non-ford, its a great truck.

I missed out on a mint 90's F150 a few months ago in Cokato. It had the straight 6, 5 speed manual, 4x4, no rust.

Maybe it's a difference of skill background or the terrain/room you have to move in but I've gotten pretty proficient in dragging around and backing up a little truck-bed sized trailer with my 4-door. I've even moved around a larger single-axle travel trailer as well as a double-axle car-hauler sized trailer. Maybe you're just too used to the Ranger wheelbase and need some more time with the Explorer? I seem more proficient with the Explorer than my full-size Chevy Suburban, at least for maneuvering and backing up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1994 Explorer/Pictures/2015-11-21 12.01.02.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/BrUsNe5CQAAnHb8.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/P1030247.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1994 Explorer/Pictures/2015-11-23 13.45.54.jpg

The woods are tight here. You fold in your mirrors or you loose them to the trees. Most trailers are wider than an explorer. If it wasn't, you might as well just toss the wood in the explorer.

Ah, I didn't realize you two lived near each other. I haven't had to do much in the woods but the previous owner of my main rig hauled wood that he fell and cut himself, in a trailer. Actually, the second picture I posted above.

The wheelbase in the Rangers will be different but I can't imagine they're much smaller than an Explorer.

Have to agree about the work truck. An ol ford f250 with the 300 and a manual trans is unbeatable. I have my ex and a 79 f250 4x2 with the 300-6 with a 4spd and a Dana 60 out back. Was my dd for the longest time. Only ever left me sitting once on the almost 3 years I've owned it and that was due to the starter grinding the teeth off the flywheel every time I started it until the flywheel finally gave out. Because t other than that it'll never die.

If I had the funds I would actively pursue an F150 or 250 with the 300. If someone were to offer a trade for my Ex I'd probably jump on it.
Back in the day I had a family friend offer to sell me his for $200 with a rebuilt engine. I was 18 and dumb at the time and passed up on it because it was ugly. I still kick myself from time to time over that.
Overall though I really am impressed with it's abilities. I understand that no vehicle will do everything exceedingly well. It does most things pretty good, generally better than I expect it to. Pulling firewood out of the woods yesterday with the trailer wasn't a reflection on the explorer so much as hampered by the overall length of the two put together. The trailer I have for firewood is an ok sized trailer but has a very short tongue. Backing it is kind of difficult. The other day when I was backing the horse trailer it worked fine and getting it to go where I wanted wasn't an issue at all.

I've got the same sentiments about mine. They're not perfect at any one thing but they are a great general purpose vehicle. They can haul people, they can be reliable for a daily driver, they can go offroad, they can haul, they can ride like a truck and handle like a car. I guess that's why my DMV calls them MPVs for Multi Purpose Vehicle :)

The tongue probably does mess with you. I had a harder time backing up the travel trailer than I did the old military trailer. The military one has quite a bit of tongue length, you can get between the trailer and car while it's hooked up and still open the doors comfortably.

Like others here, I aspire to have an older F250 for a farm/hauler truck. I've been eyeballing one with a 460 v8 but the straight six would be plenty fine. I wouldn't go quite as old, I don't think I'd have the patience for a carbureted engine. The mid-90's vintage of Ford just really resonate with quality and reliability. It's easy to get in and diagnose the computers like our Explorers and there's not the traction control or AWD BS or other convenience features you have to work around. Ever since the trucks switched to the Super Duty line, there's just a lot of extra crap. I'm sure they can be reliable but there's something to be said for the older and simpler trucks.

I don't want to jinx it but I have my eyes set on a 1993 F250 single cab with under 80,000 original miles from a family friend. It mostly sits in a carport and was underworked the majority of it's life. *drools*

For most of the stuff I do the Ex does all I need it to. It does surprisingly well in the snow. I had to drive home in this last storm at 3 AM and outside of a couple slippery intersections that made it hard to get going it was great. Visibility was a different issue.

So is it just mine that is worthless in the winter? Were you referring to in 4wd or 2wd? I got stuck on flat ground. Pretty much tap the brake pedal and it locks up and slides. This is in 2wd. My tires are good. I had to stay in 2wd because when i put it in 4 it goes, lifts up the drivers side and clunks when it slams down.

I had to stay in 2wd because when i put it in 4 it goes, lifts up the drivers side and clunks when it slams down.

That sounds like a bad hub and or frozen u-joint...

~Mark

So is it just mine that is worthless in the winter? Were you referring to in 4wd or 2wd? I got stuck on flat ground. Pretty much tap the brake pedal and it locks up and slides. This is in 2wd. My tires are good. I had to stay in 2wd because when i put it in 4 it goes, lifts up the drivers side and clunks when it slams down.

Just yours. We sold our f150 years ago because it was worthless in snow. It would go in 4x4, but stopping was a crap shoot. Our explorers are great. My 94 will do more in snow in 2x4 than any other vehicle I can think of. If you get stuck on flat ground you either A. Have sticking brakes (been there) or B. in fact do not have good tires. Actually, while I prefer first gens, If I had to pick the ultimate winter vehicle, it would be a second gen with AWD (and LS rear diff) and blizzak tires. There isn't a better combo than that.

2stroke;3505491 My 94 will do more in snow in 2x4 than any other vehicle I can think of.[/QUOTE said:
Surprised to hear that. You must have LS and run Blizzaks. My 94 Sport is horrible in 2x4 in snow, unless you want to do lots of donuts. It has an open rear diff, which is probably the diff maker. Pun intended.

In 4x4, it is wonderful. It can go up snow-covered hills that my friend's BII cannot. Luckily, I haven't had to do that this winter...at least not yet.

Yes it has limited slip, and with good tires I never spun out. My current DD is a B4000 with open diff and manual tranny. It is no good in 2x4. Maybe we are confusing ice for snow. Nothing is good on ice without chains.

Surprised to hear that. You must have LS and run Blizzaks. My 94 Sport is horrible in 2x4 in snow, unless you want to do lots of donuts. It has an open rear diff, which is probably the diff maker. Pun intended.

In 4x4, it is wonderful. It can go up snow-covered hills that my friend's BII cannot. Luckily, I haven't had to do that this winter...at least not yet.

Open diffs have a place in road racing but not on our trucks!! A LS or selective locker is huge, but good tires is number one.

That's another advantage of an Explorer vs a Ranger. A majority of explorers came with LS diffs. Many Rangers didn't, and many come with a weak 7.5" axle.

Back