The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's

I can either get the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's mounted, balanced, tax included for $498 (from Firestone shop)

OR

I can get the BFG A/T KO's mounted, balanced, tax included for $460 (from Sam's club)

Both are 235/75-15's

MY QUESTION IS: Which of these is better in snow? and are those good prices?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think for some of us, the BFG's win because they come in a much wider size range, it's a shame really, i would of picked up the Revo's as i'm sure many of us would, but they're quite limited in size.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What do you all think of the Cooper Discover AT's? I haven't heard too much about them.

I have heard a lot of good things about them, I know that Mastercraft tires as a company were number 2 on consumer reports right behind toyo. Not to mention that they are ridiculously cheap and will probably wear like steel.

Holty,
I don't know if you're still following this thread but...my brother-in-law has had both sets on his '94 4Runner. He said the BFGs are much better than the Bridgestones. He got the same mileage out of both sets (approx. 70K miles) but thought the BFGs performed better. He lives in Evergreen CO, just west of Denver, drives in all conditions, including off-road. When I get new tires for my Explorer, I'm going BFG.

My $0.02 - Dave.

Originally posted by Bronco638
Holty,
I don't know if you're still following this thread but...my brother-in-law has had both sets on his '94 4Runner. He said the BFGs are much better than the Bridgestones. He got the same mileage out of both sets (approx. 70K miles) but thought the BFGs performed better. He lives in Evergreen CO, just west of Denver, drives in all conditions, including off-road. When I get new tires for my Explorer, I'm going BFG.

My $0.02 - Dave.
HOLY SCHMOLY!!! 70,000 miles on BOTH sets of tires?
Thats got to be a record! Good for him!

Holty,

My $0.02 - Dave.

Yep, still following this thread as it is interesting to see everyone's different opinions. I still really like my BFG's and I don't regret getting them one bit. They take everything i throw at them like nothing. Though i havn't tried them in the mud yet, but i don't really go mudding that often anyway. Maybe like once a year i go play in the mud but my truck is mostly setup as a sport truck and the BFG's are my fall/winter tires only.

BFG the way to go

I've had Dunlops Desert Duelers, Goodyears Wranlers ATS, and BFG AT/TA KO's and up here in the san Bernadino Mtn's the BFG's kick butt in all conditions. I have a 98 Eplorer XLT and replaced the original tires asap. I forgot what they were, but they sucked. I also had Desert Duelers on the Dodge Raider I used to have, and replaced them with the BFG's and it made all the difference in the world. I also own a 2001 Dodge 1500 Larmie with the offroad package (meaning I have a limited slip on both trucks), and it still has the original Goodyears on it, they have good tread, but the tires break loose in conditions the where the BFG's stick to the road. I am replacing them asap with the BFG's.
BTW the BFG's on the X have 35,000 miles ans still look near new.

well, i went to a job site w/a guy i work w/. He drives a cherokee w/duelers and i've got the bfg at ta ko's. there's a huge hill we have to drive up that's not paved or anything, just loose gravel and dirt w/some ruts from erosion. He had to put the jeep in 4wd to get up while still spinning in 4wd. I made it up in 2wd w/out spinning tire. He was a little jelous.
conclusion: bfg's work better during mild off roading.

Dueler REVO

I got a set of Dueler A/T REVO was back when they first came out (Over a year ago). This is my second Michigan winter with these tires and all I can say is wow. Last winter they were excellent, but they also only had 2,000 miles on them. This winter they are still pretty amazing, expecially considering that they have over 38,000 miles on them! They are not even half worn and have 38,000+ miles. i know I can get 75,000 or more out of them, and i don;t even drive nicely. I'm pretty agressive and demanding... No matter what you throw at these tires they will do it. Snow, rain, ice, sand, mud, towing heavy loads..all with ease. plus the revos were way cheaper then the BFG, nt to mention way quieter. My boss ran BFG A/T On his blazer and said they were louder then hell. He now had Dueler REVO on his 2003 Avalanche and says there is none better in terms of road manners and snow capability.
After I have 38,000 miles on my tires, I still have to agree that Bridgestone has done something right with these tires and I would buy another set in a heardbeat!

BFG Noise

I can honestly say that the BFG AT/KO's are not that loud. The lugs grab firmly in the snow up here in Big Bear where it does snow in Southern Ca. at 7000 feet above sea level, and if I roll the windows up on my X there's no noise problem at all. The Duelers I had were ok, but the BFG's out performed the hands down off road and in the snow. Ok the Duelers were the older models, and the only comparison I currently have is the Wranglers on my Dodge 1500 Laramie Off Road 4X4 with the LS rear Diff and a Dana 44 up front, and my X with an LS rear Diff and standard diff up front. The BFG's on the X kill the wranglers hands down, and I am planning on putting 285/70R 17's on the Dodge as soon as they get here next week.

The Firestones AT’s is what came stock on my X, but when I put the BFG’s on it was night and day. Trail kings came on my 1986 Monterro 2 door 4X4 when I bought it new, replaced them with Yokahamma Supper Diggers II’s and it was an improvement, but when I finally put the BFG’s on it again it was a night and day experience.
But the truth is we all have our favorites for our own reasons. I just feel for my X, which I use on and off road the BFG’s are a great tire.

My X originally came with the Firestone AT's, then were replaced by Goodyear Wranglers (in the tire recall) and then finally the BFG AT-KO's. The BFG's make the same road noise as the wranglers but are far superior in traction and overall ride. Drove through 10 inches of unplowed snow yesterday and the X acted like the road was clear and dry. What a great tire! Since i got my first pair of BFG All Terrains almost 20 years ago, ive never been disappointed.

And if i wanted a tire with no road noise, i'd buy a Toyota Prius! :D

Holty,

My $0.02 - Dave.

Unless your buddy puts rediculous miles on his truck, he doesn't have the Bridgestone Dueler REVO. It hasn't been out long enough for him to have put 70k miles on them and already replaced them. The original Bridgestone Dueler's have been out forever ~ and they're a pretty good all around AT, i'd say the BFG is probably better than the regualar Dueler.

well, i went to a job site w/a guy i work w/. He drives a cherokee w/duelers and i've got the bfg at ta ko's...I made it up in 2wd w/out spinning tire. He was a little jelous. ...conclusion: bfg's work better during mild off roading.

Again, Dueler or Dueler REVO? there's a big difference. The tread pattern on the revo is more open than both the Dueler and the BFG

4X4 review

just read a review that basically stated the Revo was a very good all around tire. That it is not a serious off road tire, and does poorly in the mud, but does a good job on most stock to lightly modified Light Trucks and SUV's for wet dry and snowy pavement conditions.

The pictures in the review shows the tread pattern and shoulder lug neither of which is as aggresive as many other tires. Another review compares the Revo with the BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A and the Yokohama Geolandar H/T.

Again it depends on what you want on your X. If you want a tire that will do easy to maybe moderate trails do well on wet to snowy pavement the Revo might be your tire. But again for more challenging offroad conditions even Bridgestone offers more aggresive tires.

Myself I am a BFG AT/KO guy.

Re: 4X4 review

Originally posted by Big Bear Bob
just read a review that basically stated the Revo was a very good all around tire. That it is not a serious off road tire, and does poorly in the mud

*Ahem* Never been stuck

14229muddy_driveby.jpg
14229dsc00703.jpg

best tread shot I have

attachment.php

Webshots won't link
http://community.webshots.com/album/92071226pgbAAg
http://community.webshots.com/album/92071226pgbAAg/1

So everyone quit saying these tires can't be wheeled! :p

Keep in mind the sidewall thickness which will keep your butt from waiting for help. My friend Michael had a set of Cooper tires on his Jeep, and he split a sidewall on a rock while we were 'wheeling in the desert one night. Upon inspecting the sidewall, it felt about as thick as the sweather I have on now. The BFGs have a much thicker sidewall that withstand punctures more easily. Flotation is helped with the side ribs when the tire is aired down, and the rim protector will help protect against the rim scuff marks that occur when driving on rocky trails.

It all comes down to streetability vs. trailworthiness...

-Ken

Bridgestone firestone

Just a reality check, Bridgestone and Firestone are the same company
http://www.bridgestone-firestone.com/
Using their tire selector they place the Revo below the
Bridgestone Dueler A/T with UNI-T in off road ability. Which reinforces Ken's statements about the two.

And if you think about the Firestone quality in the past few years I think it would lend to hesitation in considering a tire made by the same manufacturer under a different banner.
As far as tread pattern goes take a look here

Dead Link Removed

and compare with the Bridgestones here

Dead Link Removed
Your looking at two different types of tire.
The Bridgestone A/T with UNI-T are a better comparison
Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by Hokie
Moral of my story. If you like the BFG's that much, buy em you'll be happy with. But the whole consumer market (every review I have read) suggest the Revo is a better tire. Whoever you trust it makes no difference. I just know that when I found out that the BFG's have no warranty of any kind, that was the final push over to the Revo's

IMO, Bridgestone has a knock out and I love my Revo's

:confused:

So much info being thrown around! Ha ha!

BUY WHICHEVER TIRES YOU WANT! You can't go wrong with either one, and I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference in the mud/muck trails, whatever.

This debate is going to last forever :rolleyes: :p

Don't know much about the bridgestones, but here's a thread leaving it open for me to bash BFGs... The A/T's are not worth it. Granted they're good tires, they're way over priced. Heck, I use Futura A/T's from Pepboys, and they work just as well as the BFGs i used to own back in the day... Cept they're 30-40 bucks cheaper a tire

I recently bought a set of Bridgestone Revo's and they are great. I replaced a set of Firestone recall replacement tires so bicycle tires probably would have been an improvement but anyways, the Revo's are very quite and their performance on wet and snow covered pavement is excellent. The need to put in 4wd at the first sign of snow is gone because the 2wd traction is very good. I would buy these tires again in a heartbeat if and when I need another set.

Back