The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's

I can either get the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's mounted, balanced, tax included for $498 (from Firestone shop)

OR

I can get the BFG A/T KO's mounted, balanced, tax included for $460 (from Sam's club)

Both are 235/75-15's

MY QUESTION IS: Which of these is better in snow? and are those good prices?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Peter
I dunno fellas, if for nothing else the BFGs are the best looking tires on the market, best tread pattern out there, hands down

I'm sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with that 100%... 20 years ago they were the best A/T on the market for on and off-road, but not now. The Revos and for that matter the regular Dueler A/Ts perform just as well (if not better in some situations) off road and 100 times better on-road. There are so many A/T tires out there that perform as well and in most cases better than the BFG, the Dueler is just one of them. Pro Comps, Toyo, Yokos... the list goes on and on...
I have a friend at work who put a brand new set of 33" BFG A/Ts on his Ram 1500 last winter... he hated the way they performed in the snow last year so much that he replaced them with Duelers a month ago, even though the BFGs had less than 2,000 miles on them and he lost a lot of money.
If looks is your main concern, the Revos look way cooler than the BFGs.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by Peter
I dunno fellas, if for nothing else the BFGs are the best looking tires on the market, best tread pattern out there, hands down

If that is your thought, buy the BFG's

its funny, all of these 'debates' about BFG vs. REVO, I don't get it. People ask for opinions and then seem to be pissed when we say that we prefer the Revo's over the BFG's.

If you think the BFG's are the best looking tire out there, then by all means go for em.

All we're saying is that, IN OUR OPINIONS, the Revo's work better off road and especially on road.

My tread pattern is more open than the BFG (better in mud). The only thing that the BFG has is the more aggressive side lugs. This makes em look mean, but looking at their design, its very easy to see why people say they clog with mud and snow very easily.

Moral of my story. If you like the BFG's that much, buy em you'll be happy with. But the whole consumer market (every review I have read) suggest the Revo is a better tire. Whoever you trust it makes no difference. I just know that when I found out that the BFG's have no warranty of any kind, that was the final push over to the Revo's

IMO, Bridgestone has a knock out and I love my Revo's

well how many people spend more than 10 percent of thier miles offroad, no one...mud? your not getting a good mud tire till you look at huge lugs and big sizes...so thats what I say about the BFGs...they are a great medium between mud, street, snow, dirt etc..they dont go great everywhere but they last a long time, wear well and are priced nicer...I like procomps but they are a lot more than bfgs anyway and i frankly dont think that their all terrain tread looks as good as the bfgs...in fact I personally think the only tread that looks as good as the bfg tread are the Krawlers or whater bfg makes...just my opinion...and there is a price that takes mickeys supers swampers and those other expensive tires in mind

Originally posted by GaSouthern1
I just really dont like the tread pattern of the REVOS, the BFGs look so much more "manly", the sidewall is what makes the BFGs.

heheh.. just wondering.. what tires did you just put on your durango? :p

Originally posted by jasonb
heheh.. just wondering.. what tires did you just put on your durango? :p

haha..the voices made me do it. So far I love my revos, i am ready to see how they perform in some real dirt though. I really wish I would have gone with an M/T though since they perform 100X better and look great...i guess hinesight is 20/20

ok I'm stepping in this one

I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler M/T's and I have to say they were the best damn tires that I ever invested in... only problem with them is that they don't come in the size I need right now.. they lasted almost 80,000 miles (I just couldn't justify getting rid of them unless I invested in the lift..which I did)... anyway... I don't know about the A/T's but if they are comparable to the M/T's they are great! They did cost a bunch of $$$ though. I do love the BFG A/T's also..... I find it hard to believe that you would have problems in the snow with those..... I also have a 96 Bronco Fullsize which are notorious for being funky in the snow....with or without great tires and I have to say that my BFG A/T's that I stuck on there outperformed the damn Goodyear A/T's that were on there last year..... I would say that if they made Bridgestone Dueler M/T (well it had M/S on the sidewall) in the size that I needed I would invest in them in a heartbeat....even forsaken the SuperSwampers that I have on the Explorer.

Just my $.02

Karol

It's funny that I came across this thread today. Last night we were out checking on a deerstand and one of my buddies has bridgestone a/ts on his 2wd chevy and the other has BFG a/ts on his 2wd ford. The BFG's out performed the Bridgestones last night, hands down. But since I don't like either one of those, I went with Procomp a/t and think I got a better tire than the both of them.

-Justin

PS - The tires on my Explorer when I bought it were Bridgestone a/ts and I hated them. Does that make me biased?

Originally posted by JMT1SOMR
It's funny that I came across this thread today. Last night we were out checking on a deerstand and one of my buddies has bridgestone a/ts on his 2wd chevy and the other has BFG a/ts on his 2wd ford. The BFG's out performed the Bridgestones last night, hands down. But since I don't like either one of those, I went with Procomp a/t and think I got a better tire than the both of them.

If we are talking about looks at all the procomp loses big time, to me it looks like a mini van tire, it is not at all agressive and cant perform all that well. Even though I have the Revos, I think the BFGs look much more aggressive and burlier from the side.

About 2 weeks ago I went with the Revos (275/70/16). I too think that the BFG's may look a bit more aggresive because of their sidewall, but when you look at the Revo and BFG next to each other the Revo really does have a more open tread pattern. I also like the fact that I have a tire that I do not see on so many other trucks. Something about being a little different I guess. One more thing that swayed my decision was the fact that the Revos cost less by about $80 for 4.

Originally posted by Webster3
Anyone got a good pic of the Revo's in a 32 or 33?

Ed

Ed, you've seen what my 32" duelers do... just remember that the REVO is a little better. Except they dont make the REVO in a 32 or 33... the largest they go is 31" unless you get 16" rim and go standardized sizing :fart:

And thats why i have 32" Duelers on mine ;)

BTW: REVIEW:
my duelers (and not even the REVO's) are awesome tires, ive been through and up some sick stuff and the things ive gotten stuck in.. i prolly wouldnt have made it out even if i had super swampers! (Ed can vouch there) However, they SUCK in mud at 40psi... but are awesome around 20-25 psi (i keep em at 40 on the street for mph)

Well, I've had my BFG's for a few weeks now and we've finally gotten some decent snow here in western pa and I must say that my BFG's performed much better than i ever expected them to. I have to say I had my doubts about how well they would do in the snow from looking at the tread pattern. Man was i wrong! I went out with a couple of friends(one other explorer, a jeep wrangler, and a f-150)after we got about 8inches the other day and was trying to get stuck but it just wouldn't happen, and I mean not even close! I was going up some hills that I never would have guessed i could have make it up and I was barely even spinning. I cruised up this one hill that a ranger and a blazer had spent a half hour trying to get up with no luck.

About 2 weeks ago I went with the Revos (275/70/16). I too think that the BFG's may look a bit more aggresive because of their sidewall, but when you look at the Revo and BFG next to each other the Revo really does have a more open tread pattern. I also like the fact that I have a tire that I do not see on so many other trucks. Something about being a little different I guess. One more thing that swayed my decision was the fact that the Revos cost less by about $80 for 4.

rhyno,

I like the looks of both the BFG's and the Revo's alot. That's one of the reasons i started this thread. Some people are saying that the BFG's are overrated and they are the "old" number one. Well, maybe that's true, as I don't have the revo's to compare for myself to actually see for certain which one is better than the other. Again, that's why I started this thread. The BFG's do have a slightly more agresssive look to them but the revo's have that cool tread pattern so I say you can't go wrong with either one of them. I actually found the BFG's to be cheaper than the revo's so that's why i got them. Anyway, I'm glad i made the choice that i did and i am certain that any snow fall around here won't bother me one bit now that i got my new tires.

Holty,

I guess they are priced differently everywhere. The best price I could find for either tire was at the local Costco. Now keep in mind that I was buying for a 16 inch rim. I picked 275/70 which comes out to 31.2x10.8 inches I believe, acording to the tire size calculators. The Revos in this size where $575 mounted, and the BFGs where like $655. The ones sized as 31x10.5x15 where less expensive, but I like my stock Eddie Bauer chrome rims.

I just bought some BFG A/T KO's 32x11.50-15. I got them for $580 mounted and balanced at a local tire shop. Sound like a good deal?

Sure, but again, you are paying less because you are buying for a 15 inch rim.

i'm not at all a tire guru, but i do business with a owner of a tire store, and he said that the new KO's are indeed a lot better than the older, none "KO's", so ever though the thread is the same as it's always been (or at least looks the same), it's a much better tire, this is due to it's construction, slight changes in the tread pattern and rubber compound changes.

The the case of the Revo, his opinon was that it was better, not due to the tread, but the compound, it tires is quieter, resists hydoplaning a lot more and offers similar off-road traction? Though he mentions they aren't quit as tough? I'm not sure what he meant by this, perhaps the BFG's have thicker sidewalls, etc?

i work at Fleet Farm out in the Tire Center

and we recently added some Bridgestone Tires, like the Dueler AT and Insignia and also the Blizzaks, i think we will add ther other duelers to the list sooner or later, and they sell many generic tires made by Bridgestone/Firestone

and the Mounting/balancing procedures are as follows

if the tire is purchased at Fleet Farm the mounting is free, balancing is 4.99 each tire, and rubber stems are 2 bucks a piece, and roughly every 2 months they run a balance and stem special where you pay 4.99 to balance each tire and the stems are free!

but if you bring in your tires like competitor tires, you end up paying for mounting - can't remember how much, and the balancing for each tire is 7.99, then if you want stems they are 2 bucks a piece for rubber ones

I opted for the Revos back around Thanksgiving, and it's been a good buy so far, paying around $480 including installation and taxes at my local Firestone while getting my lifetime alignment done.

I liked the fact that they seems very stable in driving rains and a 30 mph crosswind while driving across the upper part of the spillway late one night, almost as stable as drving across the lower portion, which was protected from the wind. It's been a while since I felt an all-terrain feel that stable; actually, the last time I felt an Explorer that stable in those conditions was when I had all-season tires on my '94 Explorer.

I haven't had a chance to test them on anything but roads and highways, but if they don't work well offroad, then I'll just switch back to my Mud Kings which are still mounted on the other set of Mountaineer rims.

Back