theft light on....ok, its off now, but for how long? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

theft light on....ok, its off now, but for how long?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
no big deal here, just figured id post this in case someone has had similar experiences.

i get in my truck today and start it, well, it took a second to start, which is a first - usually it starts immediately - maybe ill need a new battery soon. anyway, now its started and the theft light is on for a few seconds, as usual, but its not turning off. i didnt have my seat belt on either so the little 'seat belt guy light' was on too. as soon as the 'seat belt guy light' turned off, the theft light turned off for about 3 seconds and then it started blinking, and stayed blinking until i got to where i was going (i only went to the gym about 1.5 miles from my house.) when i finished my workout, i went out and started my truck - this time, no problem, it started immediately and the theft light came on for a few seconds as usual and then turned off as usual.

is it possible that my theft light and my battery are conspiring against me? and just out of curiousity, how long does a battery last?...my truck is a 98 with about 27,000 miles. and any other advice, suggestions, or related experiences/anecdotes are welcome.

thanks in advance,
jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there was a post similar to this awhile back.....if i remember correctly, the conscencus was the theft light is a crock and doesnt need to be worried about

I had a bunch of odd electrical things happening just after my battery started to go. Things started after I had jumped it like 5 times to get where I had to go. After I put the new one in, they continued: my alternator was charging at like 15.5 volts, accessories would stay on for like a minute after key off, radio would stay on for more than that, about 2 min. Well after a few days, all was back to normal. I think killing the battery those few times really screwed w/ all the computer controlled stuff, and after a fresh one was in they kinda re-learned how to work properly. I dunno, but that's what happened to me. Good luck,

well, one of my roommates said it oculd be weather related. its been like in the mid 60's for the last 3-4 weeks, and today it was only around 45 or so. we'll see what happens tomorrow when the temp rises...maybe a new battery in the near future.

That light is actually linked to the door locks if I'm not mistaken. Its just meant to flash to ward off would be theives. What may have happened was that some fluke caused the light to come on when the door autolocked while the engine was on, as opposed to the normal circumstance which is, door locked engine off (notice if you lock the door and then close it while the vehicle is running the light doesnt come on.

Just a shot in the dark.

tbomb,
if your truck is a 98 or newer, it may be a problem with the key. the 98+ explorers have a compouter chip in the key. you said it sorta took longer to startand this could be because of the key issue. if the computer doesn;t sense that exact computer chip, it will not start the car, thus making it less possable for your truck to be stolen. If there was any metal or magnatic object that may have affected the operation of the computer sensor, that may be all it was. What kinda stuff do you have on your keyring?

i just have about 4-5 other keys and the clicker for my factory alarm. since then it has worked perfectly, but i am still keeping an eye on it for a while.

I think it sounds like a problem with the computer reading that chip. if it happens more, I would try using a different key for a while and see if the problem quits. Just an idea.

95xlt, thanks, ill keep my extra key around.

Back