Theft light - possible PATS problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Theft light - possible PATS problem?

Xplorer82

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer 4.6L
ok, i bought my 98 eddie bauer for $850 at the end of 2/2012 due to timing chain rattle(runs and drives good tho, so far). since i bought the truck i have had a flashing theft light..

i have done some reading/searching but due to all the post about pats/theft light and finding none regarding my issue and reading for hours, i am posting in hopes to track this down..

i am including a video of what is going on... basically unless the key is turned to the acc/or started the light will flash. it is a slow steady flash, as if the alarm is set (going by what my 97 looks like when i set the alarm)..

i am hoping that someone can help me out w/this because i do not want to end up stranded like others have been due to PATS issues.. i am new to this PATS stuff so if you need any other info i will help out as much as i can seeing how this truck is still newer to me and i do not know much of the background on it. i only received one key with the truck and No key fob, i use the door key pad when i need to get in the truck.

thanks to anyone that takes time to help me track this down.

(click to watch video)
th_photobucket-1643-1334209460877.jpg

ok, well i found a thread in the "under the hood" section about the PATS system.. it reads
PATS also "flashes" the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

i counted the seconds in the video between the flashes and it seems as if that is what is going on.. i just found it odd to be flashing when the alarm was not set as my 97 does not do that until you "set the alarm".. i know they have 2 different "security systems" as it changed in 98, i was just worried about getting stranded somewhere due to a fault in the pats system..

can anyone verify that their 98(+) flashes like that even when the doors are unlocked and no "alarm is set" (key off and out the ignition).... otherwise i guess im gonna have to dig into the dash and since my 97 is down w/trans issues at the moment i would rather get confirmation before i do end up stranded trying to figure this out (if it aint broke don't fix it, right??) thanks in advance.

My 2000 did that. It's normal. Rapid flashes indicate and issue with the PATS system (mainly unidentified key).

My 2000 did that. It's normal. Rapid flashes indicate and issue with the PATS system (mainly unidentified key).

Thanks for the reply Todd, puts me at ease.. wont worry about it anymore. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna get stranded somewhere if that wasn't normal.

Back