Thermostat Brands: What's your preference? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat Brands: What's your preference?

agzaretzka

Elite - G-d Bless!
Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB
I haven't seen any real discussion on what brand(s) of t-stats are the best; what's your experiences and preferences?

Recently in a local parts house I saw the display of the new Prestoneâ„¢ Generation 2 t-stats, but couldn't find any description of what was different, and the sales clerk had no real clue.

Prestone said:
Honeywell CPG now offers a complete line of value, mid-grade and premium thermostat products. The standard Prestone™ Thermostat line offers coverage on many of today’s vehicle makes and models and retails between $2.99 and $3.99. The Prestone™ Generation 2™ Thermostat is designed to meet OEM performance requirements, features a larger power pill and is compatible with new cooling system design requirements. Retailing for $6.99 - $8.99, Generation 2™ Thermostats are engineered to last the life of the vehicle. For heavy-load vehicles and high performance engine applications, Prestone suggests its Power Performance™ Thermostat because of its unique pressure valve and balanced sleeve design. With 30 SKUs and a price range of $8.99 - $10.99, these premium stats eliminate the effect of coolant pressure on thermostat start-to-open (STO) temperature.

I have a Stant. If your truck isn't heavily modded, the brand of thermostat really doesn't matter as long as it works properly.

I've had the best luck with O.E. Ford t-stats, but there isn't one brand out there that I haven't seen fail.

Robert Shaw.

Best bet is just to test the sucker on the stove with a thermometer before installing it :)

Stant Super stat works good...

Back