• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat leaking?

calebg

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
I think the seal is leaking. Any idea on how difficult or expensive? Or anyone experienced same issue?
Thanks.
-8A75-4B08-8B42-1A6E30E57B59-1429-0000012CC29008F4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could I replace just the actual thermostat and not the housing?

The thermostat is inside/under the housing. You can't see that.

From the leak picture though, it appears it coming from that sending unit on top of the housing.

I don't know if you can get a new seal (o-ring) for that sending unit. From the pic, you have the kind that uses a clip to hold it in.

You can pull the clip so you can pull the sending unit out and inspect the o-ring and the housing. If the o-ring looks deformed/ripped/broken you can replace just that. If the o-ring looks good more than likely the housing is bad which is the $40 part and a couple hours of time.

If you do find yourself replacing the thermostat housing replace the thermostat while your in there as you have to remove the housing to get to it.

~Mark

Here is what you need if its the 4.0l V6. The stealership up here will want close to 200 for it after you buy all the parts separately. it is 4 bolts and a clip to change. Don't forget to drain a gallon or so of antifreeze out of the bottom of the rad first. That way it won't spill out when you pull the housing off. Don't over torque the bolts either, It is just plastic after all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6RL3MG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is what you need if its the 4.0l V6. The stealership up here will want close to 200 for it after you buy all the parts separately. it is 4 bolts and a clip to change. Don't forget to drain a gallon or so of antifreeze out of the bottom of the rad first. That way it won't spill out when you pull the housing off. Don't over torque the bolts either, It is just plastic after all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6RL3MG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That kit looks better than buying the motorcraft set since with the motorcraft parts you buy each part individualy BUT. The above dorman kit looks like it isn't coming with a new o-ring for the sending unit.

~Mark

Edit: I did buy my replacment parts from Amazon but I knew to buy all the different parts ahead of time..

Back