Thermostat or what? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat or what?

terminator0723

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
Howdy! Back a few months my truck started over heating like crazzyyy!!! I replaced the thermostat with a Duralast 195 Degree thermostat (15649).. Alls well trucks working great now..... Buttttt I've noticed my trucks temp used to be right in between the C and the H now it stays a little closer to the C, not toooooooooo much closer, but enough you can tell.... This morning I went to work I let the temp get up to the norm and I cut me heat on ( its was like 25 degrees outside) Temp dropped way down like it normally does but never came back up.. After 15 mins of driving I threw the tranny into 2nd gear so I was runnin about 4k rpms... That got' r back warm ;) But I soon as I went back to drive pulling about 1900 or so RPMS.. she cooled right back down! Man that heat feels much better when the temp is running where it normally does.... I'm curious if I could have got a faulty thermostat ( I hope not that thing was a PITA to get in..) I noticed a bit of coolant around the thermostat housing... Not enough to where im actually loosing coolant, but just a bit.. Maybe I got a back gasket.... IDk... Any thoughts?

I bet the thermostat was "Mis-Labeled" I would replace it and see.

Once the proper one is installed, your problem should go away.

Back