Thermostat upgrade help FIXED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat upgrade help FIXED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks like a quality part.
Looks like 2006 to 2010 Explorer? Wonder if they are going to make any 1998's with the correct angled top piece.

Curious why Ford used a threaded sensor for the Motorcraft RT-1220. :confused:

So I ordered one the 2 piece one

Installed it didn't use the thermostat China crap or the lower housing bolts that came with it had no markings so I reused the ford ones
I rtv d the lower housing together let it sit for a day I also used a felpro lower gasket and upper
Installed it today

We shall see if it leaks

People told me the top would not fit so I had to try all I had to do was rotate the hose I little bit fit great

View attachment 160801

View attachment 160802
Hey how do i stop that evap line from rubbing on the upper hose specifically pushing against it and kinking it?

Can you loosen the upper hose, then twist the hose until it is in a more favorable position and has slightly more clearance?

Let us know, and good luck.

Can you loosen the upper hose, then twist the hose until it is in a more favorable position and has slightly more clearance?

Let us know, and good luck.
How does this look?
20220919_141850.jpg
20220919_141845.jpg
20220919_141842.jpg

Perfect.

The ODC monster in me might also place some sort of protective sleeve between any of the areas where the hoses/wires contact each other.

But you got it, Well done.

There are a number of threads on aluminum thermostat housings, but I'll add to this one since it's been replied to recently, and the one I recently installed looks like the one pictured earlier.
My '02 Sport Trac developed a coolant leak over the summer, and I had trouble determining where the leak was. It finally became evident the back side of the thermostat housing was leaking and the coolant was going under the intake. By this time, it was leaking onto the ground. When I took the housing off, it looked like the bottom gasket that resembles a rubber band had failed. The plastic housing looks to be ok.
As I searched for the best deal, a suggestion came up for an aluminum housing through WalMart, who was actually selling it for Parts Geek. I bought mine from Parts Geek instead of going through WalMart. Price was around $53-55, I think, - not much more than the plastic replacements, and included the thermostat, sensor, sending unit, lower hose, clamps and bolts.
Looks just like this. Seems to be a well made part. No brand or usable part # on the part or paperwork. I reused my original thermostat, sensor and sending unit since they still work instead of using those that came with the housing. I used a very thin film of RTV on the bottom, and a bit thicker amount between the halves. That was about 7 weeks and over 1000 miles ago. Works fine with no leaks. I was planning to buy another one for my '01 ST until it died recently.

Perfect.

The ODC monster in me might also place some sort of protective sleeve between any of the areas where the hoses/wires contact each other.

But you got it, Well done.
What should i put in between the hoses? so they don't rub

Do you have a similar hose you can use? Cut a short piece, and split it open down the middle. Slip it over, and you are golden.…. Auto parts store might also have some thin black accordion plastic conduit of size that would work.

Good luck with this project.

Do you have a similar hose you can use? Cut a short piece, and split it open down the middle. Slip it over, and you are golden.…. Auto parts store might also have some thin black accordion plastic conduit of size that would work.

Good luck with this project.
No similiar size hose but i have noticed rubbing on the intake

1.5" I think Surely you have a ruler

Back