Thought I'd celebrate and put in new plugs, wires and coil pack. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thought I'd celebrate and put in new plugs, wires and coil pack.

any issues with the wiring up to the coil pack? and did you clear the CEL?
Hooked up OBC tester as soon as stuff was installed. That was when I saw the error codes.
Are you 120% sure you got all the wires on the right plugs and coil terminals?
replaced plug wires, numbered wires on both ends with marker before installing, so I'm sure of the order. Is there a procedure to check a coil pack while it is still in the box?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as soon as the motorcraft stuff was installed? or the denso stuff? after swapping to the MC stuff, i would clear the CEL to ensure that its not just an old light... and im not sure of a way to check packs while in box... have you checked the grounds/connections on the coils? think donalds mentioned that though... and i forget if it was this thread or a different thread that said they threw away the old parts, but you dont happen to have the original pack, correct?

Coils can be checked with a multimeter.
The ohm values should be similar across coils.

Hooked up OBC tester as soon as stuff was installed. That was when I saw the error codes.

replaced plug wires, numbered wires on both ends with marker before installing, so I'm sure of the order. Is there a procedure to check a coil pack while it is still in the box?

As Mbrooks420 stated, see the pic in this post for the pin designations:

Resistance readings should be the same (roughly, a 10% difference wouldn't necessarily be a concern) between:

IGN START/RUN & CD1
IGN START/RUN & CD2
IGN START/RUN & CD3

Resistance readings should also be nearly the same between the output nipples (but not the same as the 3 above):

1 - 5
2 - 6
3 - 4

This should let you see if it is defective, but does not necessarily prove it's good. In operation, the high voltage could cause an arc, though that would tend to degrade it rapidly, get worse very soon.

I have not commented on the "Check Engine Light" in a few days. I tried all suggestions with no luck. I cleared error codes a number of times. "Check Engine Light" returned immediately or after a few miles and a couple of starts and stops. I finally felt defeated and took it to my local Ford dealer. They had it two and one half weeks and did not or would not touch it. So I picked it up and "Check Engine Light" is still on. I guess I'll just use the black tape and drive it until it quits or a definable problem occurs. It starts easily, runs and idles smooth. What more could a driver ask?
I do appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations by all forum members. We gave it the best we had.

sure nothing is grounded where it shouldnt, continuity thru wires, no arcing, etc? no audible leaks, etc? if so, thats all ive got. I suppose you could put tape over it, but i cant help but wonder if there is a more serious issue underlying that isnt apparent. glad we could help!

To me it seems quite
Clear the new coil pack is having issues
Those codes point directly at it

You installed new coil pack
Truck runs fine but cel is on
Codes 350 and 351 are circuit malfunctions at
Coil pack
You have cleared code it comes back
You have checked ignition wires and plugs
I hope you checked your firing order vs the chart I posted, numbering the wires yourself beforehand is still not foolproof we are human
Code remains
So does the new coil pack

Or did I miss something? I suspect new coil pack sucks

I feel like we have had a lot of these ‘changed my coil pack, got problems now’ issues lately

Maybe a bad run of coils hit the market?

I feel like we have had a lot of these ‘changed my coil pack, got problems now’ issues lately

Maybe a bad run of coils hit the market?
feels like it, or maybe this thread keeps gettin bumped. one or the other! only thing is that OP iirc (and i didnt check, going off memory) had both a denso and fomoco pack tho iirc. are they same mfr?

Lol, I looked…it keeps getting bumped.

I must be getting old haha

Lol, I looked…it keeps getting bumped.

I must be getting old haha
lol!!! i too thought it was common, and im still young 🤣🤣🤣then again the other day i put a water bottle into reverse, thinking it was stick!🤣:(had to put it back into neutral though;)was not one of my brightest moments

feels like it, or maybe this thread keeps gettin bumped. one or the other! only thing is that OP iirc (and i didnt check, going off memory) had both a denso and fomoco pack tho iirc. are they same mfr?
Denso has supplied Ford with coil packs, but not sure about this one in particular. It feels more like a coincidence, Denso is a top tier Jap. manufacturer with good quality control.

@chuckj5

I read that you have a '96

IIRC, from experience, the early build factory coils had a different numbering set-up on 2 of the cylinders.

Did you keep the old coil - next to each nipple it's corresponding cylinder is stamped in black ink (on the beige colored glue).

This is from experience/memory 16+ years ago , so ultimately it would help to reference the old coil (if you still have it)

HTH -
Turns out my 4.0 Ford engine will never work with aftermarket coils. Something to do with the aftermarket coils being too hot and causes the pcm to try to compensate and consequently the Check engine light give errors PO 351 and or additional PO 35__ errors. I put in three after market coils all gave PO 351 and PO353 errors. Bit the bullet and installed a Motorcraft coil....no more errors. I guess if I want my Explorer to do another 200,000 miles, I'll use Motorcraft parts.

Back