Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I am having a custom add-a-leaf done in my '98. It will give me at least 3" of lift in the rear. One of the other Explorers at work has already had this done. It looks great. It looks like a truck should. It should also stop the suspension from bottoming out over bumps when loaded. I will post a picture and driving impressions when it is done.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Paul,

I was wondering how much this custom job was running you and where you where getting done?
Thanks for the info ahead of time!!

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Ford Explorer

It is costing $350 Canadian dollars(approx $240 US), most of the cost is labour. They install the add-a-leafs, measure and make any adjustments. It will probably be around 3 1/2" until the springs settle a bit. You should be able to get it done at any spring shop. Most major cities have at least one.

I was very surprised that the original springs were so soft on a truck with the trailer towing package. I carry around 200-250lbs of gear in the back at all times and sometimes well over 400lbs so this will really help.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Paul,

You are paying alot. I had a place in Lanley put in a custom made-to-measure full length add-a-leaf w/ Teflon pads and re-arc all of my rear spring pack to a 4" lift when I had my JD lift. All for $130 cash. I did the re and re though.

Cheers

Dale

So what are you going to do with the front end? Or will you leave the front end un-raised and put enough weight in the back to drop it back down?

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

I will probably leave the front, it looks proper (like a truck should) with the front the way it is and the rear a little higher. I may crank up the front a little bit at a later date but right now I don't think so.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

I am not paying though(company truck) so I don't really care. Dead Link Removed Like I said most of the cost is labour. They are doing all the work,

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

I picked up the truck today. It looks great! Dead Link Removed Now it looks more like a truck than a tail dragging lead sled from the fifties. Dead Link Removed It even rides better. Less body roll in the corners, no more bottoming out on bumps, no more wiggling over dips. Well worth the money!

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 01-25-2000).]

I will have a picture soon, will try and get a stock hieght Explorer in the picture too.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

I am ancious to see the pictures to because I have a warrior shackle lift on mine and the torsion bars cranked up on mine. I measured the front came up two inches and the rear about two and a half and it looks like the front need a little more lift. I am fixing to go to a stiffer grade torsion bar until this summer when I can save some money and put the trailmaster on it. I have a 98 eddie bauer 4x4 and cant wait for the lift to go for sale

The Tale of the Tape: It is actually only 2" higher. I guess the first guy I talked to was a little optimistic in his estimate on the amount of lift. Either way I am very happy with the results. The truck looks better and now it can handle the load I need it to carry. I took a picture today but the roll still has some left on it.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

OK, I finally got my film developed. Sorry about the quality, the picture looks fine but for some reason it didn't scan very well.
Dead Link Removed

Notice the difference sitting next to an identical truck. These two are sequential off the assembly line. Mine is the one on the right. Also note that mine has been driven it's entire life with a load in the back and Trevor's on the left has been empty except for a handfull of times.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 02-12-2000).]

That looks pretty good! Looks like the way they should come from the factory! At least it looks more like a truck rather then a car! How does it ride?

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

Is add-a-leaf just one leaf added to your leaf setup? I have the superlift 5.5 and 4 coil spacers in the front bringing the front to 6.5in. How much would one leaf on each side bring the rear up?

THanks

Kial
zeke180@yahoo.com

Paul
Picture of your 98 looks good! Did you change your rear shocks for this "add-a-leaf" job? What shocks are you using?
Mike Pilat, Seattle, 91XLT

For everyone's enjoyment here is a picture of my '96 with the torsion-bar/add-a-leaf lift done and 31x10.5 A/T's on.
http://www.4x4central.com/brlictorsion3.jpg

I feel kind of proud to be the first one to have done the lift (I think) and after posting the how-to on Rick's website it looks like several others are enjoying the extra inches.

Like Tiessen said, the custom shop that did my add-a-leafs (I referred him there for his) only charged me $225 cash for mine, and they did the re & re.

------------------
Cheers,

Andrew B.
1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 (slightly modified)
BC, Canada

Back