throttle issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

damian.explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hey all, I have a 2000 ford explorer which I just bought off my father in law for 1500 $ it needed some work and had been owned by my sister in law for 4 years or so, it had a coolant leaking issue and I had replaced the upper and lower thermo housings amd it kept leaking, after about 10 times taking throttle body off and the stock spacer along with the air intake housing and various plugs I discovered that it was a sensor that was not in tight enough, sensor was tightened and now the leak is gone (finally) but after repairing leak in the dark in a snow storm I discovered that now when I accelerate its like the pedal won't go down all the way, I assume it has something to do with throttle body or cable or spacer since that's the only and last thing related that had been touched before issue started. Any advise? Can spacer be on upside down? Cable stretched from removing several times?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the spacer can be put in backward preventing wide open throttle.

In any event it is obviously a mechanical not elec issue.

pull the air tube and have someone operate the throttle and you will likely
see the prob. right away.

Had my bro in law help me and turned out that in the dark I must have put throttle spacer on upside down, what I get for hurrying, now she purrs like a lion again. Does anyone know a good way to clean throttle body? I don't have a garage and live in apartment community so npt much of a shop to work in so any advise how to clean the black sludge off without removing throttle body itself from vehicle would be greatly appreciated

Not sure on the second gens. But it's a no-no on the first gens.

Probably the same situation though.

Situation is that the throttle body has a teflon lining in it so it seals tight at idle.

Carb cleaner will eat it right off.

Best advice I've heard is a gentle clean with dish soap and soft rags.
No tooth brush! Just fingers, soap and clean soft rags.

If it doesn't look like it's been run with out an air filter and all nasty and corroded

don't play with it.

Squeaky clean throttle body will gain you no noticeable improvement.

A damaged throttle body will give you immediate results!

Back