Thudding coming from front end at lower speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thudding coming from front end at lower speeds

pup5581

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Sport
So my 14 sport was just in for service a couple days ago. All well until today. Drove home from work and to a friends house. maybe 1:25 in the car straight. Stopped at a store. Got back in and started down the road and i could feel this thudding on the gas pedal and you can hear it. It's most felt from 35-40 and at faster speeds..50-60 it's still there but maybe not as bad? No thud felt through the wheel..(just normal road roughness which i have always had in the wheel and pedal since day 1)

It sounds like and feels like it's in sync with a wheel..or something moving. I had them check the brakes when it was in because they are warped (when they heat up and i press a decent amount in traffic it's rough ect) but they said the runout was fine and they could replicate it. But today it was pretty warm for this time of year in Boston (80) and i was in and out of traffic...on brake ect for that hour and a half..then all of a sudden it started to pour and dropped 20 deg when near the end of my trip when i was at the store..so not sure that could cause a rotor to really warp to the point of feeling it in the pedal..but not the brake pedal?

I couldn't feel it though the brake pedal..only gas. No matter if on the gas or off of it. Also did it in neutral. Would think if say a belt shifted in a tire it would be felt though the wheel

It has 35,656 miles on it..so the 3/36 is almost up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tough to diagnose from a distance, but check the lug nuts to make sure they're tight and torqued properly. It's possible the tech at the dealership was distracted and abandoned your lug nuts when they were only finger tight.

Tough to diagnose from a distance, but check the lug nuts to make sure they're tight and torqued properly. It's possible the tech at the dealership was distracted and abandoned your lug nuts when they were only finger tight.

Will do this tomorrow and check..thanks. I went under tonight for 10-15 min just to take a look and see if anything was loose or moved a good ammount..nothing i could see

Well i found it...(stupid me) I looked today as i was coming out of the store..and there were 2 large nails in my tire...almost next to each other...very strange.

They were small ones and it wasn't in a groove into the tire..just a rubber block so i removed them and now that thudding is gone.

Someone had to have placed them right under my tire when i went into that store last night..because they were close to each other.

Well i found it...(stupid me) I looked today as i was coming out of the store..and there were 2 large nails in my tire...almost next to each other...very strange.

They were small ones and it wasn't in a groove into the tire..just a rubber block so i removed them and now that thudding is gone.

Someone had to have placed them right under my tire when i went into that store last night..because they were close to each other.

Glad you figured it out.
If you suspect foul play, I suggest adding a front and rear dashcam.

Glad you figured it out.
If you suspect foul play, I suggest adding a front and rear dashcam.

It was a store i rarely go to and it was in the projects...so not sure i will go that route..unless something happens again

Back