Ticking noise under a load 5.0 302 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise under a load 5.0 302

SMASHEK

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 5.0 AWD 4dr
I have a 1998 X with a 5.0 302. I hear a ticking noise when the engine is under a load at 1800 to 2000 rpm. Without a load (in park) you can't hear the noise so it is very hard to detect where it is coming from under the hood. It sounds a little differnent than a lifter ticking so I think it is not a lifter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could possibly be pinging. Does it sound like a marble in a tin can? Is it a steady tick? Could also be the exhaust manifolds leaking. Thats a common problem.

More then likely its the exhaust manifold leaking.

More than likely the passenger side exhaust manifold leaking. :) It could also be the EGR tube on the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Is there a common area to check for a leak on the manifold itself? Any reason I hear it only under a load?

Usually it leaks at the flange to head area.

check the bolts too. mine leaked from there. 3 were only finger tight

I'll check it out

Thanks for the advice, I will check it out this Saturday and let you know what I discover.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. As it turned out, the EGR tube from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve had a slight visible crack. After I removed it I found a much bigger crack on the back side. No more TICK TICK, love it!

Back