• Register Today It's free!

Ticking Noise

Tozzi

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Whats up guys...so heres my story, a bit lengthy but any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

I have a 98 Sport with SOHC Engine..Recently maybe 4ish months ago I notice both a rattle when idling (which seems to come from cats and/or muffler etc) and also a strange tick/almost diesel like sound when accelerating around 1900-2100 rpm. So I figured that they might be related, I figured the noise might be coming from the cats at idle and under a load while accelerating..I go to an exhaust shop owned by family friend and have nice after market muffler put on (cats checked out fine but muffler was shot). Idling noise solved! BUT the noise at 1900-2100 rpm still exists. The guy at the exhaust shop suggested maybe trying Premium gas to see if the noise subsided...no help..This exhaust replacement was done 2 weeks ago - While the noise at 1900-2100 didn't really bother me too much NOW I have a noise/tick/rattle coming from the engine at idle and can be manipulated by barely touching the gas while in park (noise gets much more rapid). The mechanic at my work gave my truck a quick once over and suggested I maybe get an oil change although I wasnt due for one. Oil changed, still same noise. I am assuming these two (the rattle at idle and the rattle at 2100RPM) are related because at 2100RPM the noise seems more profound now. Work mechanic also stated the noise seemed to him (and myself) to be coming from underneath the engine towards the center. He also said that switching back and fourth from 87-93 octane wouldn't cause this noise. PLEASE HELP!! I love my ex but im getting tired of all this BS, I was so happy to solve the rattle with the muffler and now this...

EDIT: I also failed to mention..this tick/rattle when Idiling gets worse/more rapid when I turn on the A/C?

I know my stuff about car electronics and am decent when it comes to the mechanics but am no expert..but....Could this be the infamous cam chain issue? Could it be the connecting rods? Any other ideas? Does anyone else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this could be a good news bad news problem here.

The bad news..
It could be your timing chain tensioner starting to wear out and go bad, the fix is expensive, and in most cases requires the engine to be pulled. Unless it's just the front one which can be changed in the car.

The good news...
on my SOHC I recently had a "tick" like you describe under acceleration. Turns out it was my oil dip stick, yeah that's right... I recently checked a few plugs to see how my engine is running and must have tweaked my dip stick tube a bit. Well aparently the SOHC crank swings VERY close to the dip stick so close that when I bent my dip stick a little it started to contact the bottom of the tube. I found it because I could feel the tap on the tube while the engine was running. Anyway all I had to do was bend my tube back toward the engine more so now it clears the crank.

Good luck and let us know what you find...

Thanks for the input I appreciate it..Yeah thats nuts ill check my dipstick

So..lets say it IS the timing chain..does that explain the noise at 2100rpm too? or no?

Also..I dont know if your ex does this or not, but when I start mine up it idles for maybe 5-10 seconds, and then I hear a "click" like something is clicking on/engaging and the noise does not start until I hear that click...I just figured maybe if I can find out what that click is, I can rule in and rule out certain things

The click you hear is probaby the AC pump kicking in, turn all your climate controls off and it will probalby stop. If it is cycling a lot you probably should check your r134a levels to make sure the pressure is not low in your AC system.

does that explain the noise at 2100rpm
yes

But don't panic yet, let's get one thing out of the way at a time here.

That clicking noise is there I think no matter if I turn on the ac or not...and with the AC off the noise is less, but still there...and my ac is ice cold so I think its ok?

Any chance you could post a recording of the noise?

^^ thank you, i did read that before I posted..ill have to let my mechanic know about that one...and yeah im gonna try and take a video with my phone so hopefully the noise can be heard with that

Eeeehhhwwww that doesn't sound good, that sounds like either a timing chain tensioner or a bearing in the lower end, in either case it's probably not what you wanted to hear. Is there any metal in the oil?

I dont think so? I mean I dont do my own oil changes or really fix much on the car mechanically (only electronics)...My mechanic at my work told me to get an oil change so I did the day I posted (2 days ago) but it was no help, so im assuming w/ the oil change theres no metal in the oil....

So lets assume it is one of those, the timing chain or the bearing - is it safe to drive? and for a repair im looking at 1000+ eh?

anyone else watch those you tubes and have any advice/input??

i recently had the timing chain noise problem. It didnt sound like that. that sounds more like a bearing noise or something like that. I got lucky on the timing chain too, i know a ford tech that does side work and he did mine for 400 labor and 160 for parts from ford.

yeah after listening to those videos again, unless it is not a good representation of the sound it does sound like lower end (bearing) noise. I had a bearing go on my SOHC and it sounded just like that. I found a low mileage SOHC and replaced the motor for about 1500, rebuilds for these motor are very pricey, the cheapest kits I could find were around 2K so I decided to go the salvage yard route. That and I needed to get the truck fixed quickly due to an upcoming fishing trip. The good news is the replacement only took me 2 long days, one to remove the engine and one to put in the new one.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Back