• Register Today It's free!

Tighten down roof rack

jasaun357

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I carry kayaks and a Thule box on the roof of my 2002 Ford Explorer quite often and it is becoming quite loose. I have a trip coming up soon and I feel I need to get this taken care of before we take off. Does anyone know how to tighten this down? Does it have to be done from the inside, under the head liner? or is there some way to get into the plastic casing of the rack from the outisde? Or do I have to go to the dealer for this one? Thank you!

not 100% but some have said the bolts are on the exterior, no need to pull the headliner down. I looked at mine this weekend, rack seems a little lose too; looks like the plastic cover comes off somehow . . .i'll probably just break one getting it off . . .then spend a day hitting all the JY's - lol. . .
Seriously i'll check the book FSM, if i find out i'll post back or if i break one. . .

105844019.gif

NOTE THE PROCEDURE IS THE SAME FOR RIGHT OR LEFT HAND SIDE. SEE (FIGURE 1) FOR EXPLODED VIEW OF ASSEMBLY.

1.Remove front, center, and rear side rail caps by spreading apart from inboard side, and prying outboard.

2.If equipped with crossbows, support unfastened end of crossbow to prevent damage to roof panel. Remove both front and rear T-20 TORX head crossbow fasteners which are threaded into the side rail.

3.Remove six (6) Phillips head screws which fasten rail to roof panel, two (2) each at front, center, and rear.

4.Remove side rail(s).

5.Remove rubberized gasket at base of each attachment point, front, center and rear.

6.Remove two (2) cargo tie-downs for each rail replaced, and transfer to new side rail.

7.Reverse procedures to install, torque side rail and crossbow fasteners to 3.2 +/- 0.3 N.m (28 +/- 2.5 lb-in).

Back