• Register Today It's free!

Time for a Tune-Up...

lunchfist

Reaction score
City, State
dubuque ia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer 4.0 SOHC
Hey guys. Just looking for suggestions for Plugs/wires and a coil pack. Just planning on doing an ignition tuneup. Coil pack hasn't really given me any issues, i'm just willing to bet it's original equipment along with the plugs/wires, and i'm pushing 128k now on a 2001 xlt 4.0 sohc.

i've always used NGK v-power plugs in my past vehicles..

Any tips? :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motorcraft plugs, platinum file wire. Wires, I like Magnecors, but they are somewhat expensive, but the savings is in not having to replace them. Stock Motorcraft wires are of course okay, or you can get some other less expensive "performance" wires. I'd probably advise against changing the coil pack unless you find a deal on a factory Motorcraft pack. 128K is nothing, the stock coil pack can go 200-300K and beyond. Nabbing one at a good price is a good idea though, to have one on hand rather than pay full price when you need it and don't have it.

NGK V-power plugs are a copper plug, they are excellent for many old school Japan-made engines, but are to be changed every 30,000 miles, and are NOT even an option to use on the Ford 4.0L. At the very least, stick with a platinum plug. If you must, you can try NGK Iridium plugs, but the Motorcrafts are the sweet spot between price and performance, and generally give the best running and idle performance, just like from the factory or better.

Thanks Anime! haha! Yeah, how did you know?! my previous cars were Japanese! (honda civic, toyota corolla, toyota supra!)

i've heard a lot about platinum/iridium plugs just being fancy/unnecessary.. but then again, 2001 is the newest vehicle i've owned.

Thank you for the info!

ps: I've been getting what sounds like detonation when the engine is under load since i bought the truck a year and a half ago.. sounds like marbles rolling around inside a paintcan inside the engine compartment. Anyway, i added some Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant, and filled it up with 92 octane and it's gotten rid of about 90% of the pinging, but i can still hear it a little. I'm thinking if i get some new plugs and wires in there it'll disappear. I've only ever ran 87 octane since i bought it..

Since you have an 01 the marble sound may be the timing chain rattel. Just a heads up since its a common problem, but its just a guess with out hearing it

so... since there's a tsb about it can i take it to a dealership and have them fix this?

New wires fixed a few ignition issues my 4.0L had, so if the wires are original, sometimes new ones work like a charm, especially with new plugs.

The TSB just makes techs aware of the issue, you can of course take it to a dealer to fix anything TSB-related, but you'll pay for it. If they recall something, then the dealer pays to fix it. If you can work on your own stuff, you can just use the TSB as a guide to what the known issue is to fix it.

Timing chain rattle is just a known issue on the SOHC due to the design. Replacing them is a chore, but worthwhile long-term maintenance. In the meantime I wouldn't ever suggest using any oil addtives to mask the noise, just stick with a quality oil and top-tier gasoline.

aaaaaaah. Thanks for clearing that up for me Anime :) Hmm. I set up an appointment friday at the place where i bought the truck.. i bought a pretty decent (i guess we'll find out friday just HOW decent) warranty with the truck, i'm going to talk with them and see if they are going to fix this, or if not. If not, it's sad to say, i may just trade the truck in for something else.

I'm also toying with the idea of a v8 swap, looks like it will cost me less than the average quote to do these timing chains.

Back