Time for some options exploration... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for some options exploration...

thefranchise713

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime
No "Explorer" pun intended.

The 2017 has gotten on my last nerve. It's barely got 26k on it (yes, I drive a lot), but keeps having quality issues.

-A near full repaint took the car down for 3 weeks.
-It gasses the passengers out of the car whenever I let off from a heavy/WOT start (only smells after I back off the throttle). Dealer has failed to replicate 4x now despite my complaints. I have no idea what I'm breathing, but I keep getting stuck with a "could not duplicate."
-Sunroof rattle hasn't been fixed, 3 times now
-Underbody tank shield rattle hasn't been fixed, 3 times now.
-When it was new, a vibration at 2500 RPM had to be fixed with foam tape. Twice.
-There's a rattle in the tailgate I can't find.
-Battery crapped out after 8 months, stranding me. Thankfully, I was at home.
-A litany of other crap I can't recall at the moment.

There really aren't any other convenient dealers, and honestly I like who I'm working with. Now what? Has anyone worked with Ford and gotten any real support from customer service? Last time I called the Customer Relationship Center, I had a truly bad experience. I work 30 miles from home and need to be in the office at 7, the constant dealer trips are impractical.

(That said, if anyone has a fix for ANY of the above, shout out.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you take it to the same dealership every time a problem needs fixing?
If "yes" try a different one, because I bet that dealership has listed you as a "Problem customer" and they think you are purposely causing problems for them to fix.

on your work order is the same mechanic working on it every time?

did you go on a road test with this person that cant fix anything and show them what you are having a problem with?

if some of these noises happen over rough roads sometimes nothing can be done about it.

Ask dealership to gets regional manager out to dealership and you meet with them there. Have them go over vehicle. Then ask that they do a buyback if they cant fix the problems. Buyback is kinda of a manufacturer's lemon law. Keep in mind that you will pay for the mileage that you have driven. The residual monies can be appled towards a replacement vehicle. The deal is set at manufactue's level and dealership only delivers the car and completes the paperwork and collects the money. This was how it went down for us years ago. It helps if you were prior Ford owners, your signature doesn't indicate other Fords past or present.

@thefranchise713, I've been reading your issues since day one and you have put up with more than I would have.
Time is also money, in which I would have cut my losses and sold it.

-It gasses the passengers out of the car whenever I let off from a heavy/WOT start (only smells after I back off the throttle). Dealer has failed to replicate 4x now despite my complaints. I have no idea what I'm breathing, but I keep getting stuck with a "could not duplicate."

Do you know if this occurs in recirc mode or fresh air mode? I bet if it's in fresh air mode it doesn't occur as air is being drawn in from the front and pressurizing the "cabin". The air that is in the vehicle would be pushed out of the rear quarter panel/bumper vents.

The "gassing" is a known issue for these models and yeah after a WOT event you tend to get the smell for sure.
I am not having the other listed issues on my 16

Do you know if this occurs in recirc mode or fresh air mode? I bet if it's in fresh air mode it doesn't occur as air is being drawn in from the front and pressurizing the "cabin". The air that is in the vehicle would be pushed out of the rear quarter panel/bumper vents.
From time to time, I notice the rotten egg smell when going WOT (recirc mode or not); but have yet to experience the exhaust smell.
It's definitely the aerodymanic design of the rear, as I recently came back from the cottage, driving 30min on a dusty/rocky trail and the dirt accumulated on the rear as if it were magnetic.

Automatic with the AC question -- rarely engage recirc.

I made a phone call to the CRC tonight looking for help. So, hoping for a happy ending. I just want an Explorer that lives up to expectations. Nothing more, nothing less.

Back