Time for tires | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tire Buyer says the size for an '03 Explorer is 235/70/16. We were talking about the 2015/2016 Sport and Platinum models that have 20" wheels. The Continental DWS may not be available in the size you want. Truly a shame if they are not.

Tire Buyer says the size for an '03 Explorer is 235/70/16. We were talking about the 2015/2016 Sport and Platinum models that have 20" wheels. The Continental DWS may not be available in the size you want. Truly a shame if they are not.

I dont have the sport, its the 4 door explorer, the sport is the lil pickup.

Not sure what im gonna do yet. Im really leaning toward the ATR and the Verde I think. Cant makeup my mind.

I dont have the sport, its the 4 door explorer, the sport is the lil pickup.

Not sure what im gonna do yet. Im really leaning toward the ATR and the Verde I think. Cant makeup my mind.
Just curious what the SPT stands for in your profile? I thought it also stood for Sport.

Peter

In that size I'd go with Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Season. My wife had two sets of these on her Jeep before she got the '16 Ex Sport and we really liked them. Over 50k miles per set, good in all weather conditions

Just curious what the SPT stands for in your profile? I thought it also stood for Sport.

Peter

Yah mines a weird optioned explorer, its an NBX with the rough road suspension package, sport as well as XLT Package. I know weird right. The suspension, mostly springs and struts are different, even on rock auto there are replacement struts noting "rough road package", I have not needed to replace them though, 145k miles and still running original springs and struts.

Maybe this is why (suspension) loves the Scorpion ATR tires? Most f150 owners hated the OEM ATRs. But they are 20" not 17" and a diff vehicle. I will admit they don't like winter weather, they are usable just not ideal. But I can't stand these Michelin anymore.

I dont have the sport, its the 4 door explorer, the sport is the lil pickup. Not sure what im gonna do yet. Im really leaning toward the ATR and the Verde I think. Cant makeup my mind.

The Pirellis are crap. Seriously, don't do it. Bridgestone Alenzas are a much better choice.

The Pirellis are crap. Seriously, don't do it. Bridgestone Alenzas are a much better choice.

I liked the ATRs i had with the exception of winter performance, Which it honestly seems most All season Tires Kind of lack in the Winter Conditions compared to dedicated winters. Like i said I love the Michelin's, they were probably comparable to dedicated winters but they had way too soft of a ride, i lost the steering response and feedback that i love, the truck just wallows around with them. I have kind of a bad taste in my mouth on Bridgestones from the OEM tires that came on this when i bought it

I have kind of a bad taste in my mouth on Bridgestones from the OEM tires that came on this when i bought it

Try the Alenza H/L Plus. I have them on both vehicles, and they are really good all around.

Try the Alenza H/L Plus. I have them on both vehicles, and they are really good all around.

Ice snow, heavy slop? How's the handling and steering response? What kinda mileage did you get out of them?

Thanks for your help!

Ice snow, heavy slop? How's the handling and steering response? What kinda mileage did you get out of them?

Thanks for your help!

20K on the Touareg and counting. Already wearing better, performing better, and better in snow (mid-Atlantic) than the OEM Verdes. The Verdes lasted less than 30K, and were noisy and uneven in wear.

Less than 5K on the Explorer and counting, replacing the OEM Michelin Latitudes. Honestly, the Latitudes were great tires that lasted 70K...just not so great All Season performance by comparison.

A bit too early to tell on wear, but so far, so good. They have an 80K warranty and a UTQG of 800.

20K on the Touareg and counting. Already wearing better, performing better, and better in snow (mid-Atlantic) than the OEM Verdes. The Verdes lasted less than 30K, and were noisy and uneven in wear.

Less than 5K on the Explorer and counting, replacing the OEM Michelin Latitudes. Honestly, the Latitudes were great tires that lasted 70K...just not so great All Season performance by comparison.

A bit too early to tell on wear, but so far, so good. They have an 80K warranty and a UTQG of 800.

Did you have the Verde or the Verde all season "plus"? Many are not aware there are two versions with a different rubber compound, the Verde plus have a softer compound

What did the latitude lack? Winter performance?

Did you have the Verde or the Verde all season "plus"? Many are not aware there are two versions with a different rubber compound, the Verde plus have a softer compound What did the latitude lack? Winter performance?

Verde. I've never had good service out of Pirellis.

Latitudes were more highway tread. Winter performance was so-so. Again, they wore extremely well.

There was a report on the local news about All Weather tires that Consumer Reports just tested. The top 2 tires were the Nokian WRG3 and the Toyo Celcius. They were put through all the standard tests including performance on an arena ice pad. They reported that these tires outperformed some of the dedicated Winter tires. Using these will negate the requirement for an extra set of wheels/tires. Something to think about.

Peter

There was a report on the local news about All Weather tires that Consumer Reports just tested. The top 2 tires were the Nokian WRG3 and the Toyo Celcius. They were put through all the standard tests including performance on an arena ice pad. They reported that these tires outperformed some of the dedicated Winter tires. Using these will negate the requirement for an extra set of wheels/tires. Something to think about.

Peter

I sincerely thank you for your help, these aren't made in my size. Seem like good winter tires.

I sincerely thank you for your help, these aren't made in my size. Seem like good winter tires.
They are designed to be used all year in all conditions, thus the name All Weather as opposed to All Season which really are only 3 Season. Good luck in your search.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are designed to be used all year in all conditions, thus the name All Weather as opposed to All Season which really are only 3 Season. Good luck in your search.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks is a PITA, but a huge decision for me . It's amazing how much are Tire can effect the entire experience of driving a vehicle . and I don't quite trust tire rack

Back