Time to make the final decision for my lift! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time to make the final decision for my lift!

macker123

Reaction score
City, State
victoria, bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV
I have been going back and forth on what mods I was going to be doing for my suspension lift. Keep in mind I can always add a 2" body lift later if I want. This is strictly suspension lift.

I have three alternatives in mind and they are all rear suspension. In the mean-time I am going to do a strictly 4.5" - 5" torsion bar twist. I realize the ride will be harsh, but I can upgrade to spindles when I find a good deal. $500 is to much for those pieces of metal.

#1 - SOA + Increase Load Capacity and Reduce Rear-End Sway
SOA in rear for 5.5" Lift - $120
4-Door Leaf Springs - $100
Add a Leaf - $50
DriveShaft lengthened - $150
Total is $420 and this is local prices
This would give me a 7" lift in the rear and would give me additional load capacity and reduce rear-end sway.

The problem is I will have a 7" lift in the back and only 4.5" - 5" in the front. I assume that is bad.

#2 - El Cheapo SOA
SOA in rear for 5.5" Lift - $120
DriveShaft lengthened - $150
Total is $270
This would give me 5.5" in the rear and 4.5" - 5" in the front. Unfortunatly I would still have the crappy monoleaf and would most likely start to sag away some of the 5.5" rear lift.

#3 - Good Rear Suspension
Shackles - $50
4-Door Leaf Springs - $100
Double Add a Leaf - $75
Total is $225
This would give me 4.5" in the rear and 4.5" in the front. This would increaes my load capacity and decrease rear end sway, but if I wanted to go higher I would need to get a drivehsaft lengthening.

So basically these are my three options. I already have shackles so if I went with #1 or #2 I would get $50 back when I sell them locally. I really like the idead of #1, but I think my rear will be too high compared to my front. I am thinking #2 is the most realistic.

What do you gusy think? Whatever you guys post will be what I choose. I am going to be putting 33" tires on for sure when this is done. Possibly 35" tires, but I might have to rear gear then. I have 3.73 gears.

This is for a 2wd 97 Sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand that it's a 2wd, and you won't wreck CV joints but are you gonna be able to turn your stock bars 5"!!! that seems like a lot to me.....

No I can get 3" out of the bolts, but you can buy longer bolts 100mm. I have heard from numerous people on this board that get 4.5" - 5" by buying 100mm bolts.

yes, thats correct-you didn't specify in your post so i assumed you were using stock bolts.......but back to it: i think the spindles would be a better route w/a SOA in the rear

Originally posted by macker123
No I can get 3" out of the bolts, but you can buy longer bolts 100mm. I have heard from numerous people on this board that get 4.5" - 5" by buying 100mm bolts.

And how long do they stay like that before the sag back to where they were?

Originally posted by Rick
And how long do they stay like that before the sag back to where they were?

Well of course this is not a long-term solution, but it is better spending approx. $370 now and $500 in a few months than spending $870 now.

If anybody has any other opinions on lifting the front cheaper than the $500 for spindles I am open to ideas.

I've often thought about this with my 2WD 95 X. It seems that spindles are they only way to go. If you do an SOA with 4dr. springs and remove the overload leaf, you will get about 4.5" - 5". Then a 1.5" - 2" TT on top of the 3" from the spindle will be a good solid 4.5" - 5" lift and 33's wouldn't be much of a problem. I personally think you should save all you're money up and buy everything at once. That includes tires and wheels and any necessary labor. It has been my experience that it's ALWAYS better to do it that way. Oh yeah, Warrior make SOA brackets and they're about $20 or so in JC Whitney. Anyone used them? They're weld on, instead of that crappy bolt on junk.

Just my thoughts,
-Justin

Okay so I guess I have come up with an option #4. This way I don't need to worry about spindles right now and still up my load capacity.

Front - 3" Torsiob Bar Lift(Already Done)
Rear - 2" Shackles(Already Done)
4-Door Leaf Springs and AAL

2" Body Lift.

This would give me 5" in the front and 5.5" in the rear and would allow me to fit 33x12.5x15 tires.

This seems like the most cost effective and I don't need to lengthen my driveshaft.

macker..

im in the same boat as us trying to lift my 96..im stuck on options...im curious where u got your prices from...im just having problems trying to find front spindles, and an soa for the rear....if u could hit me back letting me know where your finding this (or calling around) that be great thanx!

Re: macker..

Originally posted by Tyka15
im in the same boat as us trying to lift my 96..im stuck on options...im curious where u got your prices from...im just having problems trying to find front spindles, and an soa for the rear....if u could hit me back letting me know where your finding this (or calling around) that be great thanx!

I am basing my prices on local stores. It is cheaper buying on the Internet, but I am in Canada so I need to pay duty so I just try and buy locally, plus I get them faster :)

It would be to your upmost advantage to put on new shocks (assuming you haven't already done so). There are many different options, and Procomp makes a decent shock for 3" lifted X's that are not too expensive. Right now I have a 2" TT/Shackle lift w/ 31's, but I'm about to put on a 2" body lift (hopefully next week) and replace the shackles with AAL's I already have and back the torsion bars down an inch. Hopefully the 3" won't look bad w/ my 31's, which will be replaced with 32's, and the X will be taken back up to 4" sometime in the distant future.

macker, where did u get the 2" BL from? would it fit a 99 XLT? where and how much?

Back