Tinted windows & Flex shift handle installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tinted windows & Flex shift handle installed

Trac Marks

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac
Busy/productive weekend.

Tint: Fronts are 5% and rear 15% Lumar brand ceramic film, lifetime warranty. Non metallic. They also carry a 3M film that is 100% clear but somehow blocks UV rays and reflects heat. Wanted this on the windshield, but they didn't have enough on hand. Pics:

gsdfgscvbsdfg_zps38d1c5fa.jpg

dgfsdfgsdfgdfgsdfg_zps5cf821a5.jpg

Before pic to see the difference, and you'll notice the faded running boards are once again shiny black:
(dead links)

Followed a couple how-to's on this website to install the Flex shift knob. Really like this mod, completely looks factory. Super easy install. No luck on finding a M29 bit, used an 1/8 and wollard it a little.

sdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfg_zpsb5e56b19.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shift knob looks great! I saw a couple of those on Ebay for around $20.00 How hard was the install?

that looks really cool. I may try this myself

What year ST do you have and what year Flex shifter did you use?

Is it true a Fusion shifter will fit, too?

Thanks!

What year ST do you have and what year Flex shifter did you use?

Is it true a Fusion shifter will fit, too?

Thanks!

Its an 07 - note the non-sliding rear window, only some 07's are like this.
Flex shift knob part number is 8G1Z-7213-A, not sure of the Flex years.
Have not heard about a Fusion shift knob

Thanks for sharing the shift upgrade. This is one I will do because I hate the giant OEM shift level.

Anybody want to do the upgrade? I bought the flex shift knob and decided not to do the change. I'd take $15 shipped (lower 48) for the knob and the M29 drill bit needed for the install.

Sold, thanks

Check your inbox. :D

Anybody want to do the upgrade? I bought the flex shift knob and decided not to do the change. I'd take $15 shipped (lower 48) for the knob and the M29 drill bit needed for the install.

I attempted and completed this aesthetically pleasing mode. Thanks rmcalis for the sale!

During the process, I proved to be one of the unlucky owners as the retaining allen bolt holding the OEM shifter in place, striped itself from the OEM housing. Thus, I could not unscrew the bolt out. What should have been a 30-45min job ended up taking me twice as long because I ended up drilling out the retaining bolt. What a PITA.

All said and done, the upgrade is well worth the effort.
(dead links)

Yours looks great on the camel interior. I also did this same mod today and I like how it turned out - what was Ford thinking with the Sport Trac shifter? I didn't have any problem with the screws, but I was paranoid that I drilled the new holes crooked, but the handle turned out straight. My only complaint is that you have to pull back pretty firmly to get it to lock into the 1st gear position. I think it's because the silver neck of the Flex shifter widens at a lower point than the stock log. I don't think I have ever used that position, so it's not a big deal.

SportTracShiftHandle.jpg

Next mod... get new flip key cut and programmed. It bothers me that the key and remote are separate.

Just noticed you are in Seattle too - what are the odds of a same day install!

Planning to install truxxx level kit and BTR control arms son. Debating whether I want to do it myself or take it to a shop.

I'm sure with the proper tools and time, you'll be able to do it no problem. I've done all the work on my car myself.

Just noticed you are in Seattle too - what are the odds of a same day install!

Thats too funny!

I'm pretty sure rmcalis lives in the same general area as me.

Both of your shifter installs came out looking great, completely look OEM.

BlackBeast, FYI, in the event you need a lift, there is a place in Kent that rents by the hour ($20). I will be there this Saturday to change my fluids (oil, front/rear diff). Feel free to come on out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back