Tire balance and alignment questions...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire balance and alignment questions...?

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
I took my Blizzaks off and put the Hankooks back on. They road fine for the most part. At times, I thought I detected a slight vibration in the seats at higher speeds. Nothing most people would notice is my guess.

I have lifetime rotation, balance and alignment at Firestone. I had them check the alignment and they balanced all four tires. Road force was reported as 5 lbs. in the front - both - and then 10 and 12 in the rear. Great numbers. I hit the road and immediately noticed my steering wheel was off center to the right. Ugh. Then, it started to shimmy in the steering wheel at 45-60mph. Not terrible, but you could see it dancing and wobbling. Was not there before. Nothing at 70+. Thinking back, I told them it rode fairly well before I brought it in. So, when they came out to tell me that one tire was out 1oz., which is a lot, and the others' as much as .5 oz, I was surprised. I am sensitive to this condition, so I notice when it's out as little as .5 oz. At that point, I knew I had to take it back for the steering wheel issue anyway.

I was on business in a different area and went to another Firestone location this morning. They looked at it and said two tires were off .75oz and two .25oz. Also, the road force was 7, 9, 17 and 14. I'm not thrilled about the 17, but spec is around 26lbs. I should have asked them to spin it, but didn't. I'm sensitive to it, so I try to stay closer to 10 as a max. They also checked the alignment and the toe was way out of spec. They corrected the toe, balance and put the steering wheel back on center.

I drove off and it was smooth again. The steering wheel is straight now, too. Now, I normally have a GREAT experience with the first Firestone. Exceptional! So, I'm shocked this happened. I called them to let them know I was not complaining; however, they may want to have their balancer calibrated.

My question: Has anyone else had this experience where one chain location is that far off from the next? What would have caused the toe to go out that much? I literally did this yesterday and drove 40 miles since and hit no holes. Bad day for the tech at the first spot, or...?

Shumax

Possible they didn't lock the steering wheel correctly or have the wheel sensors seated correctly on the wheel.

I agree and suspect that's what happened. The wheel balance is a shocker. .75oz on two wheels is quite a bit to be off. .25, I can appreciate. Most people would "feel" .75...

Back