Is this steering/tire behaviour normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this steering/tire behaviour normal?

Canuckguy

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
I have a 2014 XLT (18" tires). My current mileage is 22,500km.

From very early on, its feels like the steering is off ever so slightly. When I'm driving in a straight line, regardless of speed on level road, it seems like I have to correct to the left constantly. Again, ever so slightly. Tire pressure is the same for all tires.

Maybe being more sensitive to the slight pull, I began noticing a slight pull to the right when accelerating. This is much more noticed when accelerating from a stop as opposed to a roll.

I've had it back to the dealership multiple times where I was first told, "the alignment was within acceptable range". The second time I brought it in I asked for a print out of the alignment measurements.

As you can see the alignment shows as passing, but no measurements. The front tire wear is higher on the right (76%), than the left (87%)

1. Is this steering behavior normal?
  2. Is this tire wear normal?

Please note that I have zero confidence with this dealership. Under a separate issue I was without my vehicle for 3 weeks replacing of all things, "defective brake rotors", where they sent me out the door twice with brake issues that they later acknowledged was wrong. During this I caught them in at least one blatant lie which left me feeling like they were trying to defraud me and possibly Ford Canada.

Point is I'm done with them and wondering if this is enough that I should take it to a separate dealer for their inspection. If this is the case, I may have a battle on my hands as I first reported all this with less than 5,000kms on the car. Sigh...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How 'crowned' are the roads in your area? A pull to the right could be due to a number of issues - but the simplest one is that the roads have more of a 'crown' than the factory alignment spec is happy with. The cure would be to get an alignment shop that will work with you and 'tweak' the spec so the vehicle goes straight ahead on the kind of road you drive most often. Many dealer techs are trained on only 1 type of machine, and don't have a clue on how to compensate for local conditions or vehicles peculiarities.

Here is the printout I receive when I go in for service.

Peter

Attachments

• PB110308_001.JPG
    PB110308_001.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 209

I have a 2014 XLT (18" tires). My current mileage is 22,500km.

From very early on, its feels like the steering is off ever so slightly. When I'm driving in a straight line, regardless of speed on level road, it seems like I have to correct to the left constantly. Again, ever so slightly. Tire pressure is the same for all tires...

Allow me to assist, Canuckguy. Please PM me the VIN, daytime phone number, full name, and preferred dealer info; I'll escalate your concern to the regional customer service manager. Also, feel free to choose other dealers as they are owned and operated independently. To locate one, click on this: http://www.ford.ca/dealerships/locate/ Be sure to book an appointment at your earliest convenience with the selected dealer.

Kwasi

i also have same issue, my steering is off little to the right and it has pulling on straight road. i don't want to go to dealer for alignment, just don't trust them, they always say "no problem its normal"
i need alignment specs for FWD if anyone has it, will used it as reference for alignment shop. thank you.

i also have same issue, my steering is off little to the right and it has pulling on straight road. i don't want to go to dealer for alignment, just don't trust them, they always say "no problem its normal" i need alignment specs for FWD if anyone has it, will used it as reference for alignment shop. thank you.
Never, ever go to a dealer for alignment services. Find a local shop that specializes in alignment work, and has a known reputation, and use them. They have the specs and know what needs to be done.

First thing I do when buying a new car is take it to an independent shop for alignment. I've had more than one that was waaay out of spec right off the truck.

Never, ever go to a dealer for alignment services. Find a local shop that specializes in alignment work, and has a known reputation, and use them. They have the specs and know what needs to be done.

First thing I do when buying a new car is take it to an independent shop for alignment. I've had more than one that was waaay out of spec right off the truck.

thanks, definitely no to the dealer for alignment, will find local shop to do the job. hope they have specs for the newer model vehicle.

I've had all my alignments done by the dealer whether it was Toyota or Ford and never ever had any issues. Also, my Ford dealer does a free alignment check every time I bring the vehicle in for service.

Peter

I've had all my alignments done by the dealer whether it was Toyota or Ford and never ever had any issues. Also, my Ford dealer does a free alignment check every time I bring the vehicle in for service.

Peter

I know there is a lot of "Dealer Love" here due to the presence of Ford's social media group. However, when you want a steak, go to a steakhouse. I have not had good success with dealers regarding tires and/or alignment. (Toyota in particular) It tends to be secondary on their competency and attention list.

My recommendation stands.

I can understand that point of view if you've had a bad experience with a dealership(s). In my case it has nothing to do with 'dealer love'. Unlike some members that have posted about dealer problems, I have never experienced any of the issues with any dealer I have dealt with so naturally I will continue to go there for all my service needs.

Peter

I know there is a lot of "Dealer Love" here due to the presence of Ford's social media group. However, when you want a steak, go to a steakhouse. I have not had good success with dealers regarding tires and/or alignment. (Toyota in particular) It tends to be secondary on their competency and attention list.

My recommendation stands.

Yep. Also never have a dealer paint your vehicle. For that matter, once off warranty use a good indie for cost savings on all else.

Had parts of 2 leased Highlanders painted by dealer and both were perfect.:thumbsup:

Peter

Had parts of 2 leased Highlanders painted by dealer and both were perfect.:thumbsup:

Peter

Yes, but you lease. How was the paint in 5 years?

When my Saab was under warranty they had to replace the shark fin, made a mistake and had to repaint the roof. Color matched perfectly. Clearcoat started to peel 3 years later.

Thankfully they gave the paint job a lifetime warranty. They cut me a check and I paid a little more for a specialty paint shop to get it right - and it has been fine for years now.

Back