Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS

Much Appreciated Peter! Wondering if this part would still be under warranty, thoughts?
I would think so. Although the sensor does have a battery in it I don't think it would be considered a 'normal wear' item. That is the puzzling thing. The manual says that if the sensor becomes faulty, you should get a flashing TPMS warning light. Not a steady on light. I don't know if the dealer has a way of resetting it.

The Highlanders I had also had a TMPS in the full sized spare and sometimes owners forgot to check that. With the Explorer that isn't the case since the spare is a mini.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greetings, I have recently gotten the pressure warning on my 2012 Limited. Checked the pressure on a tires and 1 tire is at 27psi, three are at 37psi... Don't think that this would cause the warning signal to be prompted...

Hi rob-m007,

You can always drop by your dealership so they can inspect. They'll determine whether or not your TPMS is performing within specification. Keep us in the loop and let us know how things turn out.

...If it stays on, a dealer visit may be in order...

Great idea, Peter!

Crystal

Dealer visit proved to be a faulty sensor! Fortunately it was still under warranty.

2014 Explorer TPMS Programming?

Hey Guys. I'm getting winter tires and rims for my 2014 Explorer Sport and am about to order some TPMS sensors for it as well. Does anyone know what the procedure is for the Explorer?

I tired this method : http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301692

and it did not work. I'm wondering if anyone has found the programming method for the Explorer.

Thanks,

Hey Guys. I'm getting winter tires and rims for my 2014 Explorer Sport and am about to order some TPMS sensors for it as well. Does anyone know what the procedure is for the Explorer?

I tired this method : http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301692

and it did not work. I'm wondering if anyone has found the programming method for the Explorer.

Thanks,
Sorry, I'm not familiar with any procedure for the Explorer. I have the dealer do my swap. The last time it was $44.98 to swap the tires, reset the TPMS and torque to specs. When I had the Winters put on it cost $54.20 and that included an oil and filter change. I do my 6 month oil change at the same time I have the Winter wheels put on so it is cheaper.
It's too bad the memory module won't hold 8 TPMS codes so you won't have to go through this with every change.

Peter

I wish it would show you the individual tire pressures on screen like my '08 Chevy Malibu did!

Found it.

Here is the procedure:

1. emergency brake on
2. press brake and release
3. cycle start button to run/off three times leaving it in run position
4. press brake and release
5. cycle start button to off position
6. cycle the start button to on/off 3 times leaving it in on position again.

- you will hear the horn sound once and on the display you will see learn LF tire TPMS

This is as far as I got and I believe after this step we could follow the instructions I linked.

Thanks,

Do you have the little tool for the learning procedure?

No I don't but what I'll do is try the tire pressure method as in that thread. Simply the guy walked up to the tire and started lowering the tire pressure until the vehicle honked and registered that sensor. He did this for all four tires and then refilled the tires to the desired pressure.

Found it.

Here is the procedure:

1. emergency brake on
2. press brake and release
3. cycle start button to run/off three times leaving it in run position
4. press brake and release
5. cycle start button to off position
6. cycle the start button to on/off 3 times leaving it in on position again.

- you will hear the horn sound once and on the display you will see learn LF tire TPMS

This is as far as I got and I believe after this step we could follow the instructions I linked.

Peter, These instructions with the link instructions attached might make a good "Sticky" instead of having to try and search and ferret it out....Winter tire changes seem to be a subject of interest about twice a year.....

Peter, These instructions with the link instructions attached might make a good "Sticky" instead of having to try and search and ferret it out....Winter tire changes seem to be a subject of interest about twice a year.....
I agree Plum. I was also think about that last night but wanted to wait and see the results and what else, if anything, has to be done.

Peter

Ok Guys if you want to make it a sticky I'll attempt the second part that was noted on the focus board. I'll get the system in TPMS Learn mode and attempt to teach it each tire. The original thread on the focus board said that once you have the system in learn mode, you can just simply start lowering the tire pressure on the specified tire until you hear the horn sound, then go to the next tire. I did not try that but will attempt it and post the results.

Well I tried to teach the new TPMS by the method outlined in the linked thread and I ran into a snag. I get the vehicle in the TPMS learn mode no problem with the LCD saying "Learn LF Tire " by the means I outlined. However, before I even l get out of the vehicle, I get a POwer Save message telling me to turn off the power or start the vehicle. When I go out and lower the tire pressure in the LF tire the vehicle ends up blowing the horn twice and the power shuts off. Its almost like its preserving power so it shuts down. In any event I did not get the horn blowing once with the sytsem telling me to go to the next tire. So the first attempt here was a failure..

By the way here is video of a guy doing a tire rotation and TPMS training in this method. It should work, but for some reason my Explorer did not like me leaving it in run mode and not running.

Anyway this video is a good one to watch. I'll try this again or perhaps someone can try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkSfgyCCDI

hope it helps someone.

Well I tried to teach the new TPMS by the method outlined in the linked thread and I ran into a snag. I get the vehicle in the TPMS learn mode no problem with the LCD saying "Learn LF Tire " by the means I outlined. However, before I even l get out of the vehicle, I get a POwer Save message telling me to turn off the power or start the vehicle. When I go out and lower the tire pressure in the LF tire the vehicle ends up blowing the horn twice and the power shuts off. Its almost like its preserving power so it shuts down. In any event I did not get the horn blowing once with the sytsem telling me to go to the next tire. So the first attempt here was a failure..

By the way here is video of a guy doing a tire rotation and TPMS training in this method. It should work, but for some reason my Explorer did not like me leaving it in run mode and not running.

Anyway this video is a good one to watch. I'll try this again or perhaps someone can try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkSfgyCCDI

hope it helps someone.
If this is the message you got on the MFT screen it means that your battery is low. It is the same message I got prior to having my battery replaced in March after charging it several times. It would be okay for a while and then the message would again pop up when I turned off the ignition. It has started happening again.
Sorry for the poor quality. Took it with my cell.

Peter

Attachments

• Photo0010.jpg
    Photo0010.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 985

I think that is what I got. That is very interesting that my battery was low. I was not really doing anything with the ignition off to drain the battery and the vehicle is only 1 month old. I wonder if I got a bad battery in mine.

If this is the message you got on the MFT screen it means that your battery is low. It is the same message I got prior to having my battery replaced in March after charging it several times. It would be okay for a while and then the message would again pop up when I turned off the ignition. It has started happening again.
Sorry for the poor quality. Took it with my cell.

Peter

Quick update. I tried the procedure again and lowering the tire pressure at the wheels did not work for me. I guess I'll have to get the $40 programmer to complete the TPMS sensor programing. The first step will be the same as I posted to get the system in learning mode, however it appears that lowering the tire pressure as per the F150 video the guy posted does not seem to work on the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try taking the vehicle for a driver first as stated in post 17 of that thread?

Back