Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS

Tire sensor fault

Just picked up my 2014 explorer limited and about 50km home the message came up, 'tire sensor fault'. so i checked the psi on each tire at 35, still didnt go away. then put 38 in and still nothing. i suspect the sensor is the problem or is it the spare tire, which im not sure if it also has a sensor which might be tripping up the onboard computer.

thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a faulty sensor. Since you've already checked the tire pressures, it doesn't seem like an urgent problem. You might want to get it checked out at the dealer when convenient.

Far as I've heard, spare tires do not have sensors in them.....It's done for a reason, but will not have anything to do with tripping the warning unless it is put on the axel.

Far as I've heard, spare tires do not have sensors in them.....It's done for a reason, but will not have anything to do with tripping the warning unless it is put on the axel.
The full size spare on a Highlander has a TPMS in it and it most definitely will trigger the alarm if the pressure in it falls below the limit. The system is designed to read input from ALL wheels so that you don't end up with a flat/deflated spare when you need it most.

Peter

Nope. That would be too easy. If the pressure problem is corrected then the light should turn off after a period of driving since the sensors will no longer indicate a pressure problem.

Peter

Yup seems to be my issue when it came on 50klms after buying my 2014 ford explorer limited. The light flashed and so I put 38 psi in all 4s but didn't go out. Now it says "sensor fault". So I should visit the dealer eh?

Yup seems to be my issue when it came on 50klms after buying my 2014 ford explorer limited. The light flashed and so I put 38 psi in all 4s but didn't go out. Now it says "sensor fault". So I should visit the dealer eh?
Yes, I would definitely go see the dealer to get this checked out. You don't want to drive around with a flashing light, eh?

Peter

I ended up bringing it to the dealer and it was a faulty sensor. Turns out that it seems to happen quite a bit according to the service crew. Fortunate I was still covered under warranty.

The full size spare on a Highlander has a TPMS in it and it most definitely will trigger the alarm if the pressure in it falls below the limit. The system is designed to read input from ALL wheels so that you don't end up with a flat/deflated spare when you need it most.

Peter

Sorry Peter, I thought we were talking about the Explorer. That's what I was talking about.....I did not mean a Highlander, and who the heck cares anyway about some old Highlander you got rid of.....

Sorry Peter, I thought we were talking about the Explorer. That's what I was talking about.....I did not mean a Highlander, and who the heck cares anyway about some old Highlander you got rid of.....
Plum, your statement in post 26 seems more of a generalization on spare tires. That is why I posted what I did. BTW, depending on what the 2015 Explorer looks like, I may be tempted to go back to the Highlander. It is quite different now that the '09 I last had. They have also finally caught up with the 'electronic' features. If I recall some of your posts, the Highlander is one of the vehicles you seem to be recommending to prospective Explorer buyers.

Peter

I put them in and they cost me $226.40 + tax ($255.83) through the dealer in October 2011. It is up to you if you want to install them. The only thing that will happen if you don't is that the TPMS light on the dash will stay on and of course you won't be notified if a tire(s) is losing pressure.

Peter

Just confirming that all you will get is a light on the dash without the sensors? No dinging bells or warnings on the MFT screen?

I'm thinking of going without them in the winter when I swap wheels to save money.

Tony

Hi Tony. I haven't gone through that scenario but I believe I read in another post that it is just the warning light that will be on. Perhaps someone who has gone without the sensors can confirm that.

Peter

IDK about the sensors on this generation, but on the previous generations if you ran without the sensor, you got a light, and then after a time driving, you got a very annoying beep. It could be turned off momentarily, but then it was back. I wouldn't drive without the sensors.

It will be in your best interest to just get the TPMS sensors. You will get the warning light (not sure about the beep). Also, if you get a flat and take it in, most likely the shop isn't going to touch it without those TPMS sensors. I think legally since you didn't have them to begin with they wouldn't be responsible, but with TMPS sensors becoming mandatory a lot of shops choose not to work on them if they are missing/broken and the owner isn't willing to replace/fix them. Also, I think it IS against the law for a shop to install tires without TPMS on a vehicle designed for it.

Just a clarification on the sensors. I believe from checking into this before, that TPMS sensors are only mandatory on the OEM wheel set up. Subsequent wheels purchased for the vehicle do not have to have them installed.

The following was taken from;
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/tpmsfinalrule.6/tpmsfinalrule.6.html#I

Because a small number of aftermarket and replacement tires have construction characteristics that may prevent the continued proper functioning of the TPMS when the original equipment tires are replaced and because of the difficulty in identifying those problematic tires, NHTSA has decided to require the vehicle to be certified with the tires originally installed on the vehicle at the time of initial vehicle sale. (This reflects a change from the June 2002 final rule, which required vehicle manufacturer to certify continued compliance with any optional or replacement tires of the size(s) recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.)

Peter

Just a clarification on the sensors. I believe from checking into this before, that TPMS sensors are only mandatory on the OEM wheel set up. Subsequent wheels purchased for the vehicle do not have to have them installed.

The following was taken from;
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/tpmsfinalrule.6/tpmsfinalrule.6.html#I

Because a small number of aftermarket and replacement tires have construction characteristics that may prevent the continued proper functioning of the TPMS when the original equipment tires are replaced and because of the difficulty in identifying those problematic tires, NHTSA has decided to require the vehicle to be certified with the tires originally installed on the vehicle at the time of initial vehicle sale. (This reflects a change from the June 2002 final rule, which required vehicle manufacturer to certify continued compliance with any optional or replacement tires of the size(s) recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.)

Peter

I learn something new every day :D

Hi,

Do you guys know what is the OE part number for the TPMS on my 2014 EX XLT ?

I can't seem to find it on the web and need to order a set of 4 for my new 20" wheels.

Thanks

In looking for my issue with the tpms I found nothing so I will add to this one.

several weeks ago I noticed 3 of my tires were 10# low without a warning light. The light does come on when the car starts. I knew I would be putting my snows on so I would wait the see what happened then. I did my snows today which do not have sensors and no light came on with a drive round the block.
This is my 4th year of swapping tires and as soon as I would leave my house the light would come on and if I got close enough to my garage my sensored tired would get picked up and the light would go out.
I do not even know where or what to check.

In looking for my issue with the tpms I found nothing so I will add to this one.

several weeks ago I noticed 3 of my tires were 10# low without a warning light. The light does come on when the car starts. I knew I would be putting my snows on so I would wait the see what happened then. I did my snows today which do not have sensors and no light came on with a drive round the block.
This is my 4th year of swapping tires and as soon as I would leave my house the light would come on and if I got close enough to my garage my sensored tired would get picked up and the light would go out.
I do not even know where or what to check.

Mine only gave an alert when the tires were approx 20% low, its too low but others in this thread have noted the same. Same with Chevy Equinox.
Im not saying its every Ex or Eq, but it seems common that the alert is not early enough.
Especially once you go from 30* down to -2* during the day, tires can change sitting in the lot all day at work and when going home, unless they're that low, no alert.

The Tpms in my rims for my f150 and 08 explorer have been nothing but trouble. They're aftermarket. After 0-50 miles of driving 1-3 of them throw errors. It's been a struggle for years.

My '16 now has 22s, and discount tire has a"new" Tpms. I had them order me oem fords but they couldn't program them. These have worked flawlessly so far. On my receipt they're called "sch 33500 tq12 t10 db-ez sensor" below it says "Tpms sens snap in 33500D". They're a whopping 60 each but I'm sure now that I produced a part number they can be had cheaper online. They work great much happier.

They said these are a different design and sit inside the wheel or something unlike the old ones that I believe we're inside the valve stem or something.

Will be switching out my f150 and other explorer sensors ASAP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine only gave an alert when the tires were approx 20% low, its too low but others in this thread have noted the same. Same with Chevy Equinox.
Im not saying its every Ex or Eq, but it seems common that the alert is not early enough.
Especially once you go from 30* down to -2* during the day, tires can change sitting in the lot all day at work and when going home, unless they're that low, no alert.
I don't think it's the pressure that is the problem. The lights is not coming on briefly at start up along with all the others which it should to show everything is working. Also, there are no sensors installed in the Winter tires and that alone should trigger an alert.

Peter

Back