Tire Pressure Sensor Fault under 1k miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault under 1k miles

jonredcorn

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT 202A
Hi Explorer crew!

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer - love it so far! Not sure if I love my dealer at the moment...

At ~200 miles it started throwing a "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" from the back right tire. The alarm that goes off was loud and freaked me out, but in an actual emergency would have been great!

The "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" is intermittent. It has happened 6 different times now in total. I did not have a phone charger or any other electronics plugged in, which I hear can cause interference with certain TPMS sensors.

Anyway it happened a few times, so at 954 miles, I snapped some pictures and a video. I thought my service department at Morries Minnetonka Ford near Minneapolis (where the car was purchased) would have no issues replacing this sensor, especially with video and pictures and being a brand new car. (As of posting this, it is 3 weeks in my possession.)

I was wrong. The CSR (Customer Service Rep) turned the car on, saw it wasn't malfunctioning and the conversation went something like this:

CSR:It looks like its working fine! I don't see an error.

Me:Yeah it is intermittent and only happens every so often, but has been alarming when it happens. I took pictures and a video of it happening as proof, so I think we should be good to replace that sensor

CSR:Well, Ford is paying the bill on this, so we need to verify that it is actually happening to have work done. You'll have to bring it in while its happening so we can check it out. There are diagnostic commands we need to check when it happens.

Me:Okay, so next time this happens, what diagnostic information should I be looking for? Can you show me where to look?

CSR:It isn't like that. We have to plug a tool in to read the codes.

Me:Isn't there a log file of some kind that you can check to confirm that its happening and why? Shouldn't your tools be able to read that log file?

CSR:No. There are no logs of anything except check-engine lights, which it only stores for 20 engine cycles. You'll need to bring it in while its happening.

So there it is. Brand new car is throwing Tire pressure sensor faults and they won't fix it. I assume that they only need to replace a single tire pressure sensor?? Anyone have any recommendations as to how to deal with this or is there a ford rep still active on this forum that could help get me in touch with someone who is willing to help? I used to have a dependable rep at this dealer who was very helpful, but he's gone, so here I am.

Picture of said tire fault in case I can't figure out how to embed image.
pressure%20fault_zpshvpghaty.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2016 also had that error pop up for two days. I took a look at the tires, and it recently good quite a bit colder in the past few days.. the tires looked a bit deflated.. i topped it up with some more air and the sensor warning and dash light turned off..

was weird.. i'll probably take it straight into the shop if that happens again knowing that they won't take video evidence to fix the darn thing.

I have about 2400kms on the explorer right now.

also on a side note, my mileage sucksss.. mostly city driving but having to fill up every 330km's when the low gas light comes on is a real pain in the ass. at least gas is cheaper than usual for the moment..

I was going to ask, has it gotten colder where you are at *this will often do it as you go into fall/winter as the tire PSI drops* and have YOU checked the air on all 4 tires just to be sure?

I was going to ask, has it gotten colder where you are at *this will often do it as you go into fall/winter as the tire PSI drops* and have YOU checked the air on all 4 tires just to be sure?

A Low Pressure warning is not the same as a TPMS Sensor failure. TPMS failure is usually caused by a dead battery in the sensor, but that shouldn't be happening to the OP. The batteries last about 6-8 years.

ah, sorry I missed that and the nice fact that the PSI is shown on 3 of the 4. that photo should be enough, push hard on dealer ... that sucks

oh shiet I guess if I see it again I'm going straight to the dealer.

My 2016 Ford Explorer XLT has done the same thing a bunch of times also right before and after a thousand miles. Sometimes it doesn't even reset when I stop, park and drive again shortly after. A few times, it went back to showing the pressure correctly again without stopping. It seems to alert at mid speed over a slight "bounce" on a main road (not a BUMP, just a low grade, slight incline).

It hasn't happened in about a week, so I don't recall if it was always the same tire (and never paid much attention until thinking about it now), but I think it's the same tire as indicated in your photo. It could be a defective 2016 Ford Explorer XLT system if it happens to be the same tire on both of ours.

If it happens again, I will post a photo as you have done here on this thread. Maybe we'll get some attention from the Ford rep I've seen lingering around here. It would seem they want to sell those 2016's with glowing reviews that can or can't be found in a quick Google search about factory defects in the 2016 Ford Explorer XLT.

There, I said it. Again.

There may be a factory defect? Ford, say it ain't so?

Sorry I've been silent so far on this issue as I had no updates. This wasn't about it getting cold - although I know what you're talking about. As others have posted, that would set off the "low pressure" warning rather than "tire pressure sensor fault."

I had it happen two weeks ago and drive nearly an hour to the dealership while it was happening in order for technicians to verify it and check the supposed log file. I did not allow anyone to turn it off so that it could be confirmed.

Sure enough - the first rep was full of it. There is no tool that they can plug in to read the diagnostic. I made the rep write up a report that they need to replace the sensor because its happened numerous times (over 15) between 100 miles and the current 7,000 miles I have on it now. He wrote it up so that I could come in later (planning on tomorrow) in case it wasn't showing any more. The sensor fault went away about an hour later, so I'm glad he wrote it up. What a waste of time though.

It has always been that back right tire and is very random as to when it happens. I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks for your help so far!

Yes - at that time it had gotten colder (average 75 degrees down to 70 degrees) and yes, I had checked the PSI on all 4 tires. When the "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" isn't occuring, it shows tire pressure between 36-42 PSI on all four tires with up to 2 PSI difference between tires.

This has already been pointed out, but the "low pressure" is different than "tire pressure sensor fault"

Thanks for you help so far!

Sorry I've been silent so far on this issue as I had no updates. This wasn't about it getting cold - although I know what you're talking about. As others have posted, that would set off the "low pressure" warning rather than "tire pressure sensor fault."

I had it happen two weeks ago and drive nearly an hour to the dealership while it was happening in order for technicians to verify it and check the supposed log file. I did not allow anyone to turn it off so that it could be confirmed.

Sure enough - the first rep was full of it. There is no tool that they can plug in to read the diagnostic. I made the rep write up a report that they need to replace the sensor because its happened numerous times (over 15) between 100 miles and the current 7,000 miles I have on it now. He wrote it up so that I could come in later (planning on tomorrow) in case it wasn't showing any more. The sensor fault went away about an hour later, so I'm glad he wrote it up. What a waste of time though.

It has always been that back right tire and is very random as to when it happens. I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks for your help so far!

Buy yourself a nice OBDII ELM327 bluetooth/wifi adapter and download FORSCAN. It can read every control unit in the vehicle and show the errors. If you add a switch to the unit it can read not only HS_CAN modules but MS_CAN modules.

For 20 bucks for an adapter, and 10 for the android app (iphone version also) you can see all codes that the dealer can see.

It's nice to have just in case a similar issue occurs. You can see the error and screenshot it.

Buy yourself a nice OBDII ELM327 bluetooth/wifi adapter and download FORSCAN. It can read every control unit in the vehicle and show the errors. If you add a switch to the unit it can read not only HS_CAN modules but MS_CAN modules.

For 20 bucks for an adapter, and 10 for the android app (iphone version also) you can see all codes that the dealer can see.

It's nice to have just in case a similar issue occurs. You can see the error and screenshot it.

I will totally do this! Do you recommend a certain brand of the ELM327? I have Amazon Prime - so ordering any from Amazon is a breeze.

Thank you!

I use this box. I have a 2000 Ranger which uses the pwm j1850 protocol before CAN came about.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products%C2%AE-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447895933&sr=8-1&keywords=bafx+products

This box was the only one that guaranteed pwm j1850 reading for the price.

Now it is only bluetooth so that means it will only work with android or a pc with a bluetooth dongle. Iphones won't work because apple has blocked certain bluetooth profiles from being used (though there is a jailbreak work around).

I use the PC version of the software and I have bluetooth on my pc so I used this one.

If you want to use an iphone you will have to get one that uses wifi.

As far as reading modules on the MS can lines (medium speed) you will have to add a switch as seen here:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

I use this box. I have a 2000 Ranger which uses the pwm j1850 protocol before CAN came about.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products%C2%AE-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447895933&sr=8-1&keywords=bafx+products

This box was the only one that guaranteed pwm j1850 reading for the price.

Now it is only bluetooth so that means it will only work with android or a pc with a bluetooth dongle. Iphones won't work because apple has blocked certain bluetooth profiles from being used (though there is a jailbreak work around).

I use the PC version of the software and I have bluetooth on my pc so I used this one.

If you want to use an iphone you will have to get one that uses wifi.

As far as reading modules on the MS can lines (medium speed) you will have to add a switch as seen here:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

Awesome! Thank you so much - I just ordered it! I'm excited to see how this works, as I'm a developer, but never dabble in interfaces with machines, so this will be interesting.

Luckily I have both an Android phone as well as PCs with bluetooth. I'll go the Android app route first... and see if I can 'find' a version of the PC software.

Ok so my update is that after my fourth time bringing in the explorer with this issue, they replaced the sensor and I haven't had it go off for a week now! Woooohoooo! Since this started, the clock spring has begun binding and making noise - once it started grabbing + making noise, they replaced that as well! I'm back to a normal Explorer for now! Thanks everyone!

Also - I did pick up the adapter you mentioned and have yet to test it out on my explorer, but will do so this week and update everyone asap.

I will second the forscan lite software with a Bluetooth reader.

You will find you can use this with virtually all 1996+ Ford vehicles to get all the extended DTC's. Saved me quite a bit of hassle many times. Loved it when my 2000 Ex told me exactly which solenoid to replace in the transmission. Paid for itself in that one repair.

That said. Ford Dealership won't give two $H!t$ about your reader and the code you saw. They may even scoff because you had the nerve to read your own DTC's. Just giving you fair warning.

Looks like Ford is going to change out the sensor for you, but just to let you know how much the first Rep was full of themselves. You can't get a sensor fault message until the vehicle actually encounters a condition where it expects a reading from the sensor. The TPMS sensors don't even start transmitting until the vehicle is moving over ~20mph. You cannot get a TPMS sensor fault message upon starting your vehicle in the driveway.

I thought I saw in the extended PID's that the system actually stores when it last received a value from each sensor, but I could be mistaken on that (or it may just be the last value, but no information about time).

2 things - premature failures can happen, so sorry but they should just trade out the sensor under warranty and have you on your way no questions asked.

- that dealer is full of it.

The computer does keep a log of codes that has occurred - even the non-latching codes. IE codes for significant problems that will trip other faults or prevent engine starting or safe operation of the car.

It will delete that log after some period of time, or rather most do. I don't recall the limits but as I understand it recent GM products it's as long as 100 starts.

What they should have said. With the code reader it will listen to the TMPS sytem and show real time reporting live for troubleshooting. THUS, the Tech would know that sensor ___________ is listing gibberish, or nothing, while the other sensors are doing whatever. Thus showing either a Sensor issue like the code implies, or showing a computer controller circuit failure which is also possible but not likely.

2 things - premature failures can happen, so sorry but they should just trade out the sensor under warranty and have you on your way no questions asked.

- that dealer is full of it.

The computer does keep a log of codes that has occurred - even the non-latching codes. IE codes for significant problems that will trip other faults or prevent engine starting or safe operation of the car.

It will delete that log after some period of time, or rather most do. I don't recall the limits but as I understand it recent GM products it's as long as 100 starts.

What they should have said. With the code reader it will listen to the TMPS sytem and show real time reporting live for troubleshooting. THUS, the Tech would know that sensor ___________ is listing gibberish, or nothing, while the other sensors are doing whatever. Thus showing either a Sensor issue like the code implies, or showing a computer controller circuit failure which is also possible but not likely.

The computers (yes plural) only store the DTC's that they are programmed to store and only for as long was they were programmed to store them.

Many DTC's only live while the condition exists until the vehicle is turned off. How frustrating can that be, just go over to the many threads on Power Steering Faults and ask them what they had to do to document their issues (including no power steering until the vehicle is restarted).

My Focus just had a recall related to issues causing the transmission to go offline (even if your on the highway going 70, search for the youtube videos), yet when it comes back, technician could find no evidence in the vehicle that an issue occurred.

It sucks, but no the vehicles don't have a log of everything that the technician can just pull up and see what happened.

Back