USB car charger and TPMS fault?

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
Hi all,
I have a USB car charger which also works as a fm Bluetooth transmitter.
I have noticed many times that when I plug the charger in, usually after 30mins - 1 hour, the TPMS gives me a fault. It says "tire pressure monitor fault" with the sign on the dash. After I remove the charger, within 10-20mins the error clears itself. Is this a known issue? Does it mean I cannot use a car charger on my ex? Any fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, find another charger. The TPMS works on wireless signals and your transmitter/charger is blocking them, what make and model charger are you using? Try and find a well known brand name charger. On newer vehicles avoid using no name USB cables on anything that plugs into the vehicle or transmits a signal, they usually interfere with the electronics.

I have driven by similar vehicles which use the same TPMS transmitters in the wheels and after several minutes of driving side by side my TPMS light has come on a few of my vehicles, driving with an old TPMS sensor lying around in your car will also turn the light on usually.

Happens with cheaper charges that cause interference. Try a different/better quality model.

I recommend buying a quality charger that IS NOT also a transmitter. That should resolve the issue. Our cars have a direct TPMS setup that works via very weak radio transmissions. Your device is putting out interference that is preventing the car from “hearing” your TPMS sensors.

There are several posts about chargers interfering with items, mainly remote starting.

Peter

Back