• Register Today It's free!

Tire Rotation TPMS

Barry Trobaugh

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Platinum
When rotating the tires on my '18 Platinum, do the pressure sensors relearn positions themselves or is a relearn required. If a relearn, what is the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When rotating the tires on my '18 Platinum, do the pressure sensors relearn positions themselves or is a relearn required. If a relearn, what is the procedure?

Thanks in advance.
My 2004 came with a full-size spare, but it had no TPMS sensor. I wanted to use 5-tire rotation, so bought a sensor, mounted it in the wheel having none, programmed the new sensor using a magnet resembling that of a microwave oven magnetron. All 5 wheels now reflect whether air pressure is acceptable of not. Rotating tires has NO EFFECT on the TPMS; no "relearning" is needed. Only a new, replacement sensor requires programming, one time.

Thanks in advance.
The positions do need to be relearned. Press the start button to activate accessory power, then turn the 4 way flashers on and off 3 times. This will enable relearning. You need a trigger tool to activate the sensors or you can raise or lower air pressure in each tire until the horn beeps. You start with LF tire then move to RF, RR, and finally LR. It should then say training complete on the instrument cluster.

If just rotating the tires, the vehicle will readjust after a few (up to about 100 miles) miles on its own. My 2016 Sport does this, my 2018 Edge does this.

If just rotating the tires, the vehicle will readjust after a few (up to about 100 miles) miles on its own. My 2016 Sport does this, my 2018 Edge does this.
This is correct, they do NOT need to relearned.

To go even further, I run a set of winter and non winter wheels. Once initially trained to the vehicle I never have to relearn them when I swap to/from winter sets.

My 2004 came with a full-size spare, but it had no TPMS sensor. I wanted to use 5-tire rotation, so bought a sensor, mounted it in the wheel having none, programmed the new sensor using a magnet resembling that of a microwave oven magnetron. All 5 wheels now reflect whether air pressure is acceptable of not. Rotating tires has NO EFFECT on the TPMS; no "relearning" is needed. Only a new, replacement sensor requires programming, one time.
We are not talking about a 3rd gen here. Relearning IS required on the 5th and 6th gen. Whether it is done through driving or using the tool that my dealer uses, it is required. The 2016+ Explorers show individual tire pressures and their locations.

Peter

My 2016 Sport DOES NOT need to use any relearn process or tool after rotation. It picks up the proper wheel location on its own after a few miles. I bought it new with 240 miles on it and it currently has 119 k miles. The only time I had to use the tpms relean and tool was when I needed to replace a dead sensor.

My 2016 has to have the air pressure trick done or use a learn tool

My 2016 Sport DOES NOT need to use any relearn process or tool after rotation. It picks up the proper wheel location on its own after a few miles. I bought it new with 240 miles on it and it currently has 119 k miles. The only time I had to use the tpms relean and tool was when I needed to replace a dead sensor.
I would consider having to drive a few miles for the new locations to be picked up, a "relearn process". :)

Peter

Thanks in advance.
Yes it does relearn very quickly…
My go-to for rotate is rears forward, criss-cross fronts back; every oil change at 5,000miles! Tires wear perfectly even with this procedure! (Obviously non-directional application(s) only)

On a 2018 they need to be relearned or the computer will not know which tire is low, just a low tire. I tested this last year and since I rotate my own tires I purchased a Ford TPMS19 TPMS Reset Tool on eBay for about 15 bucks. It comes with instructions, no tools necessary, and it takes less than 5 minutes to complete.

On a 2018 they need to be relearned or the computer will not know which tire is low, just a low tire. I tested this last year and since I rotate my own tires I purchased a Ford TPMS19 TPMS Reset Tool on eBay for about 15 bucks. It comes with instructions, no tools necessary, and it takes less than 5 minutes to complete.
We have a 16 sport, 18 platinum and nex-gen 2020 platinum in our family. All reset themselves!!! I know this because we do our own maintenance. I pull 5psi out of the left front and when criss-crossed back to right rear, I can follow the psi pointing to that tire in the rear for verification. I’ve always used this procedure before calibrating all four tires with perfect psi. I’ve never had to move the vehicle(s) to reset. Just the time it takes to run the engine after an oil change and check the dipstick, the TPMS resets! (I rotate and oil change simultaneously…every 5,000 miles).

It appears that it will depend on your vehicles programming.

As I mentioned mine doesn't do it automatically even after a dealer told me that I just needed to drive it a bit. I started by letting air out of each tire but that got old so I purchased a tool to do it.

We have a 16 sport, 18 platinum and nex-gen 2020 platinum in our family. All reset themselves!!! I know this because we do our own maintenance. I pull 5psi out of the left front and when criss-crossed back to right rear, I can follow the psi pointing to that tire in the rear for verification. I’ve always used this procedure before calibrating all four tires with perfect psi. I’ve never had to move the vehicle(s) to reset. Just the time it takes to run the engine after an oil change and check the dipstick, the TPMS resets! (I rotate and oil change simultaneously…every 5,000 miles).
Do you use the TPMS from your vehicle computer to set your tire pressure? Your owners manual SPECIFICALLY says NOT to. Your owners manual will tell you to check your tire pressure with a gauge.
No vehicle with TPMS will "automatically" re-calibrate, it must be done manually. On my 2011 GM I could simply put it in TPMS mode and lower the tire pressure starting from the LF, wait for the honk and work clockwise. On my 2018 Ford I have to use a simple tool. Same horn honks, same clockwise direction. it's probably easier with an OBD tool but I don't need one at this time.
TPMS is tire specific, your car is not smart enough to reset itself. The reason the system does not trigger is your tires are set the same front and rear in the computer.

Do you use the TPMS from your vehicle computer to set your tire pressure? Your owners manual SPECIFICALLY says NOT to. Your owners manual will tell you to check your tire pressure with a gauge.
No vehicle with TPMS will "automatically" re-calibrate, it must be done manually. On my 2011 GM I could simply put it in TPMS mode and lower the tire pressure starting from the LF, wait for the honk and work clockwise. On my 2018 Ford I have to use a simple tool. Same horn honks, same clockwise direction. it's probably easier with an OBD tool but I don't need one at this time.
TPMS is tire specific, your car is not smart enough to reset itself. The reason the system does not trigger is your tires are set the same front and rear in the computer.
I set tire pressure religiously with my regularly calibrated snap-on digital guage! I’m a motorcyclist; iron butt super bike distance rider so tire pressure is one of those many pre-flight checks set in my noggin’. I’m impressed at just how accurate the ford TPMS readings mimic my snap-on from my shop!

Interesting, my 2016 Sport and 2018 Edge automatically reset without using a tool. Guess my cars are magical....🙄

Interesting, my 2016 Sport and 2018 Edge automatically reset without using a tool. Guess my cars are magical....🙄
Manufacturers such as M-B and Chrysler use transponders mounted in the wheel wells to automatically pick up tire position. Ford and GM do not use such a system. Only other way a vehicle could determine position without relearn is if they used indirect TPMS (wheel speed sensor input) measuring tire runout.

I don't worry about it at all. The dealer does the 'relearn' procedure every time I take it in to swap the OEM/winter tires. :D

Peter

Thanks in advance.
buy good air gauge don't depend on government designed safety gear

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

buy good air gauge don't depend on government designed safety gear
This thread doesn't have anything to do with tire pressures but everything to do about knowing where each specific sensor is located to get the proper readings in the onboard display.

Peter

Back